Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 341176 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #495 on: March 07, 2014, 10:57:59 pm »
The calico bush is kalmia latifolia. I think we also have one of those and it does flower later.

Offline hollins

« Reply #496 on: March 09, 2014, 02:20:01 pm »
Hugo, I am not sure but I think this maybe our calico bush. It does have pink flowers but obviously they are not out yet. What do you think?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #497 on: March 09, 2014, 04:50:10 pm »
Hollins,  I'm not an expert on plants but my calico bush  ( kalmia latifolia.) is more compact than the one in your last photo.    It's hard to tell but yours looks a bit like a rhododendron, you'll soon see when the flowers come out.
I've just gone into my garden to take a photo of the Calico Bush and it's looking odd to me.   Most of the shrub is  not in flower, but the parts that are, are looking more like the colour of the leaves of the Pieris that is intertwined with it.   
No wonder the plant is confused as it's my fault for planting them so close!
The Primulas are out now but that is all the colour I have in the garden at the moment.

Offline hollins

« Reply #498 on: March 09, 2014, 04:58:40 pm »
Thanks for your help. Like you say we will have to wait until the flowers come out. I will post another photo then.
Your garden looks really lovely.

Offline hollins

« Reply #499 on: March 09, 2014, 05:06:05 pm »
I was looking through the original posts on this gardening thread trying to see if I had posted a pic of the kalmia before and I saw the amazing photos that Hugo and Bellringer posted of their snowy gardens in December 2010. Worth a second look!

Offline hollins

« Reply #500 on: March 09, 2014, 05:14:51 pm »
Sorry, I had asked the question before about this shrub in June 2011 and ME had very kindly given me the answer then!
It still looks quite different to yours though Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #501 on: March 09, 2014, 05:24:47 pm »
Those flowers look very much like the ones that come out on my Calico Bush.   Here's a photo of the flowers that I took years ago, sorry about the quality of the photo.

Offline hollins

« Reply #502 on: March 09, 2014, 05:29:17 pm »
Yes, I see. I think ours is just a sickly version of yours!
 :'(

Offline Hugo

« Reply #503 on: March 09, 2014, 05:32:53 pm »
I was looking through the original posts on this gardening thread trying to see if I had posted a pic of the kalmia before and I saw the amazing photos that Hugo and Bellringer posted of their snowy gardens in December 2010. Worth a second look!

This is my favourite photo from the posting.   It doesn't look like we'll be getting any snow this Winter though.   

Offline hollins

« Reply #504 on: March 09, 2014, 08:28:19 pm »
I have been back and looked through my Dec 2010 photos. It is hard to imagine that winter now compared to the one we have just had or am I speaking too soon! Let's hope not.

Offline Neil

« Reply #505 on: March 09, 2014, 09:32:04 pm »
I'm back from Malta on Wednesday, but I am remembering last year when the winter didn't really start until I'd got back from my winter holidays in mid March, hope that is not the case this year!

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #506 on: March 09, 2014, 10:07:35 pm »
are the flowers primroses  in your third photo Hugo? What are the blue ones called I.v got them in mine but not a clue what they.r called, Come back Blodyn

Offline Hugo

« Reply #507 on: March 09, 2014, 10:36:21 pm »
are the flowers primroses  in your third photo Hugo? What are the blue ones called I.v got them in mine but not a clue what they.r called, Come back Blodyn

Yes Snowcap, they are primroses and the blue flowers near the Australian Tree Fern are called Muscari or Grape Hyacinth.     On the left of the photo the ordinary Hyacinths are starting to come into Flower.   
I had heard that Blodyn was still busy with her work but hope too that she gets some time off to do some postings     $good$

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #508 on: March 09, 2014, 11:06:50 pm »
thanks for that Hugo now i know what to call them instead of referring to  them as those blue things.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #509 on: March 11, 2014, 01:23:16 pm »
Our dwarf rhododendron is looking great this year!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas