Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336550 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #390 on: June 09, 2013, 02:53:52 pm »
Can anyone I.D. this plant for me please. ?It is about 3 1/2 feet tall and is growing amid something else. The leaves have quite sharp spines down the centre back. I am loath to pull it out as it is fascinating me !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Jack

« Reply #391 on: June 09, 2013, 05:13:40 pm »
I think it is a teasel! Birds love the seed heads and popular in dry flower arrangements  ;D

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #392 on: June 10, 2013, 10:02:09 am »
Thanks Jack, Yes it certainly looks like one and this morning I think that I can see the beginnings of a flower head. :)

Offline hollins

« Reply #393 on: June 17, 2013, 07:35:37 pm »
We visited Ness Gardens today but to be honest I was disappointed.
There were several unplanted areas making it look untidy and it was in need of some heavy weeding.
However this wisteria arch was lovely.
Not sure what the mound was in the middle of the border. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #394 on: June 18, 2013, 06:35:29 am »
Is it maybe the rugged rock round which the ragged rascel ran?l    :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #395 on: June 18, 2013, 08:35:15 am »
Giant moles! :o

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #396 on: June 18, 2013, 09:40:35 pm »
set for the next Dr.who

Offline hollins

« Reply #397 on: July 04, 2013, 02:11:37 pm »
Some photos from the garden.
I bought a tray of small delphinium plants from the RHS garden at Harlow Carr a couple of years ago. They are huge this year, about 7 feet tall and stems like tree trunks.
A close up of the peony.
A photo of our gunnera in amongst the supposed wild flower garden, for that read not got round to all the weeding there!

Dave R, I have taken these photos with the new camera. I am only using it on automatic setting. The picture sizes are coming out between 4-9MB so I am having to resize the photos before putting them on the forum like the old days.
Is there an easy way to set them to come out smaller. I can't really understand the instructions!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #398 on: July 11, 2013, 05:36:19 pm »
When we moved here over 25 years ago I remember someone telling me that I should dead head all my Rhododendrons after they had flowered.  I can't remember the reasons why I had to dead head them but I've done the same thing year after year.
Now the shrubs have grown quite tall and I can't reach all of the flowers, but in the wild they are not dead headed and they still continue to thrive.
Can anyone tell me if they dead head their Rhododendrons and the reason why they do it?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: July 11, 2013, 06:47:50 pm »
Dave R, I have taken these photos with the new camera. I am only using it on automatic setting. The picture sizes are coming out between 4-9MB so I am having to resize the photos before putting them on the forum like the old days.
Is there an easy way to set them to come out smaller. I can't really understand the instructions!
Yes, Press the 'Menu' button on the back and look for 'Image Size'. Select that and then change it to a lower one, i.e. Small maybe.

I don't have the camera with me at the moment, so cant give more detailed instructions, but see how you get on. $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #400 on: July 11, 2013, 06:52:25 pm »
Thanks DaveR. Done that, so easy when you know how. It was set on large so I have changed it to small as you suggest.

Offline hollins

« Reply #401 on: July 11, 2013, 06:53:54 pm »
When we moved here over 25 years ago I remember someone telling me that I should dead head all my Rhododendrons after they had flowered.  I can't remember the reasons why I had to dead head them but I've done the same thing year after year.
Now the shrubs have grown quite tall and I can't reach all of the flowers, but in the wild they are not dead headed and they still continue to thrive.
Can anyone tell me if they dead head their Rhododendrons and the reason why they do it?

We've never dead headed any of ours Hugo. This year seemed a really good year for the flowers.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #402 on: July 11, 2013, 07:27:27 pm »
Thanks DaveR. Done that, so easy when you know how. It was set on large so I have changed it to small as you suggest.
That should do the trick.  $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #403 on: July 12, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »

We've never dead headed any of ours Hugo. This year seemed a really good year for the flowers.

Thanks very much for the advice Hollins,  it's such a tedious job so I won't miss doing it at all. 

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #404 on: July 15, 2013, 03:53:17 pm »
Some pics in our garden, the blue flower is a Morning Glory which has just bloomed today! I have not had any luck with them in the past!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas