Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336669 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #360 on: February 15, 2013, 08:33:34 am »
Just an odd one in the Happy Valley when I was up there earlier in the week.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #361 on: March 24, 2013, 02:28:33 pm »
I've  had 140 Jersey Geraniums arrive this week  just two days before we had 6 inches of snow!    They'll have to stay in the sunlounge for now and  I'll pot them on when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #362 on: March 24, 2013, 02:45:04 pm »
Good job they have jerseys on to keep warm!  :D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #363 on: March 25, 2013, 12:00:22 am »
should have got snowdrops instead.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #364 on: March 27, 2013, 04:54:17 pm »
Perhaps I should have but I'll know better for next year.   I potted on half of them and took them up to the shed just as a heavy snowfall started again.      :(

Offline hollins

« Reply #365 on: April 15, 2013, 05:01:44 pm »
Our first rhododendron is in flower. It's a weird looking thing really but at last the garden is coming to life.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #366 on: April 15, 2013, 05:15:55 pm »
Our old Pampas needed tidying up after the winds had blown the plumes over so I started to trim it today because the weather has been good.  As I trimmed it the centre seemed dead and sodden so I kept on cutting it back but got carried away and now it is only about 6 inches high and I've 4 full bags of garden waste just from the one plant.
I didn't realise how difficult it would be and I'm well and truly cream crackered after doing it.  It doesn't look very healthy at the moment but only time will tell if I have killed it off or not.      ???

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #367 on: April 15, 2013, 05:35:55 pm »
Hugo, I don't think it is possible to kill that stuff.  It will probably grow even more vigorously now just to make up for the hacking you've given it!   My garden is still a bit of a sorry sight but the daffs are still coming out.  Some of my perpetual onions have taken a pounding from the severe cold but I'm hoping they will revive once the warmer weather starts.   I'm not a green fingered gardener but my hit-and-miss approach seems to yield adequate results.   ££$  with yours.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #368 on: April 15, 2013, 08:04:20 pm »
Yorkie,  I did kill the Pampas grass in my last house.    It was doing ok but I read in my gardening book that if you burn the Pampas at the end of the season it encourages new growth.
I put some paper in the Pampas but it soon burnt out so I thought that I'd help it along by adding some more paper and some petrol just to get it started.
It went on fire very nicely but it never reappeared!        :-[ :-[

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #369 on: April 16, 2013, 08:49:13 am »
We did that with our last Pampas and it hasn't regrown thank goodness. The main problem at the present is an ever increasing New Zealand Flax. I keep hacking the outside off to reduce the size, but am loath to cut the height as they tend took look dreadful if lopped heightwise.
My doorsteps full of daffies in pots are now finished, so I am about to replace them with polys or pansies. Few tulips struggling in the wind and some smaller, lower bulbs all out, but the daffs are almost done.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #370 on: May 18, 2013, 03:53:17 pm »
Some nice things out in the garden.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #371 on: May 19, 2013, 12:57:28 pm »
Beautiful photos and colours in your garden Hollins and lovely to see the gardens coming on after this long Winter. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #372 on: May 19, 2013, 05:35:45 pm »
Our Daffodils were very late this year and were at their best at the end of April and our Rhododendrons are only now flowering.  The variety Linda is the smaller shrub and Cynthia the larger one.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: May 19, 2013, 07:55:14 pm »
I wonder if any of my gardening friends on the Forum can tell me what this plant is? I saw it in the grounds of Plas Ty Coch at Caernarfon this weekend, it grows to a massive size. The first photo shows the plant as it is now, the second when at full size in Summer:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #374 on: May 19, 2013, 08:11:12 pm »
I think you will find this is Gunnera.  One at Snowdonia Nurseries just alongside the exit path from the checkout.  Looks like giant rhubarb.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero