Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336227 times)

Offline Blodyn

Re: Gardening
« Reply #345 on: November 16, 2012, 04:04:23 pm »
I've just let the moths out of my purse and bought a new camera.  There's a limited range of wild flowers on which to try it out at the moment, so I took a walk through the gardens at Happy Valley. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #346 on: November 16, 2012, 04:18:11 pm »
There are still quite a lot plants in flower in Happy Valley but I realised that the battery was running very low (got some spares, now), so I had only one or two shots at each flower. 

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #347 on: November 16, 2012, 04:31:33 pm »
It's great to see you back in action with a new camera Blodyn.
Love the little brown pony on the wildlife thread.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #348 on: November 16, 2012, 04:51:28 pm »
Thanks, Hollins, I've missed having a "proper" camera.

The ponies seem really sweet in nature as well as to look at. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #349 on: December 13, 2012, 10:05:26 pm »
Anyone interested in blight resistant potatoes? 

The Sarvari Research Trust , based at the University Farm at Henfaes, is responsible for developing some of the most blight resistant potatoes available in the UK - all conventionally bred (i.e. not GM).  These include "Sarpo Mira", which is the most blight resistant potato currently available, and "Blue Danube" which has blue skinned, very blight resistant tubers.  I grow these on my allotment and even in this rather wet summer they performed well.

The Sarvari Research Trust is currently looking for crowd funding to further the development work and this is the link to their page: Sarvari Research Trust crowd funding, with six days to go to reach one of their targets.  Anyone interested can sign up free as a supporter or donate from £10 upwards, receiving various benefits. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #350 on: December 13, 2012, 10:22:15 pm »
Thanks, Hollins, I've missed having a "proper" camera.

The ponies seem really sweet in nature as well as to look at.

Super photos again Blodyn.      $good$                       What camera have you got now?

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #351 on: December 14, 2012, 11:29:44 am »
Thanks Hugo, that's very kind of you.  My new camera is an Olympus OM-D.  It's a four thirds, rather than a DSLR and is smaller than a DSLR.  I love it! 

A bit more on the blight resistant potatoes which I mentioned on the previous page.  I have received this email from David Shaw of the Sarvari Research Trust, which explains their aims better than I did.

"I am sending this just in case you are not aware of our Crowdfunded project.  We started this back in September and have now raised 75% of our £10k target.  We have 5 days to raise the remaining £2,500 and at the present rate, I think we might make it.  The project is detailed on the Buzzbnk website (below) with full list of rewards for each kind of backer.  Essentially, the fund will allow us to progress one of our promising blight resistant seedlings to National Listing and at the same time allow us to benefit greatly from data sent in by our  crowd of over 100 backers who are allowed to trial the seedling. This is a nice example of citizen science.  :)

If you are looking for a present for a potatoholic relative or if grandma is tired of being given a goat for Christmas, then here is your chance.  As Alys Fowler tweeted last night, ”This is honestly the best present for a foodie/ gardener . Fund the future of organic, blight free potatoes with Sarvari Research Trust”

And if we don’t hit our target on time?  We lose the donations already made on milestone 2  :(

Best wishes

David

Dr David Shaw
Sarvari Research Trust
Henfaes Research Centre
07906 710704

Why not join our research project on www.buzzbnk.org/sarvari

More than 100 eager researchers make up our CROWD

listen to interview on Radio Dublin podcast

Twitter @SarpoUK "

Offline hollins

« Reply #352 on: February 11, 2013, 04:42:29 pm »
We have got this lovely camellia flowering profusely in the sun room at the moment. It is making me look forward to seeing the fine specimens at Bodnant in a month or so.

Offline martin

« Reply #353 on: February 11, 2013, 05:30:20 pm »
Lovely, cheers you up on a cold winter day.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #354 on: February 11, 2013, 10:27:36 pm »
I don't know about Bodnant Hollins, your estate takes some beating!      You'll have to think about opening yours to the public.     $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #355 on: February 11, 2013, 11:40:49 pm »
A large amount of daffodils are now emerging on the upper part of my garden.

On the lower areas, they are still hiding away.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #356 on: February 12, 2013, 08:53:58 am »
I don't know about Bodnant Hollins, your estate takes some beating!      You'll have to think about opening yours to the public.     $good$

Hoping to head to Bodnant today-- the last of the 'dog friendly' days for the moment. Will report !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #357 on: February 12, 2013, 10:27:42 am »
A large amount of daffodils are now emerging on the upper part of my garden.

On the lower areas, they are still hiding away.

I planted dozens of Daffodils in the lawn this year and started planting them individually with a special tool for the purpose.  After a short while though, I got fed up and dug up large sods of grass and then planted the bulbs underneath and then  put the sods back.
Can't see any sign of the bulbs so far but the sods are coming up and it looks like I've got grass molehills all over the place!     :(

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #358 on: February 12, 2013, 03:13:07 pm »

Hoping to head to Bodnant today-- the last of the 'dog friendly' days for the moment. Will report !

Spent a pleasant hour or so in the gardens, lots of people with dogs, free biscuits and poo bags, hot soup for a couple of quid etc down in the Dell and a roaring fire. Rather raw and cold though, as you can see from the pics.
The last pic shows how the gardens are having to recover from the latest flooding.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #359 on: February 13, 2013, 11:37:13 am »
First daffodil to flower in the Park in Craig y Don.  One of several thousand planted by the Friends of Queens Park as part of Llandudno Daffodil Capital Wales. Bulbs were supplied by CCBC