Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336533 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Gardening
« Reply #330 on: August 23, 2012, 06:33:41 pm »
Last year I had a glut of courgettes.  This year so far all the flowers are male.   However, my runner beans have gone absolutely wild.   I'm picking every day and have already frozen loads.   There is also still a lot of blossom keeping the bees busy, so plenty more to come! :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #331 on: August 24, 2012, 10:25:38 am »
Your runner beans sound good, Yorkie, mine were a complete failure (I blame the slugs).  I'm glad the bees are keeping busy. 

On my allotment the nasturtiums have done a bit too well.  The bumblebees are enjoying them but there's a limit to the amount of nasturtiums one can eat! 

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #332 on: September 06, 2012, 10:40:49 pm »
It's been a funny year in the garden this year with so much rain.  Our Hydrangeas have done well but other shrubs have not.  I've got some plants called "Bear's Breeches" which I've always had problems with mould on their leaves but this year there has been no mould whatsoever, mind you there have been no flowers on them  either so I might just dig it up at the end of the year.
Our Yucca Tree has always flowered twice a year and has done for the 26 years we have been her but this year there have been no flowers at all.      :(

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #333 on: September 07, 2012, 11:34:34 am »
My Bears Breeches are the same, but I had mould on the leaves-- till I cut them off.! A new lot have grown, but still no flowers. The ones in the Dunoon garden have had flowers, but not a vast amount
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #334 on: September 07, 2012, 05:04:49 pm »
Our bears breeches look like doilies. Something is finding them very tasty.
Doing better with the sweet peas though.

Offline hollins

« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2012, 11:49:48 am »
We have got this beautiful tree flowering in the garden at the moment. It is called eucryphia.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #336 on: October 05, 2012, 06:38:36 pm »
Just come back from Talgoed Nursery Glan Conwy with a large carrier bag full of King Alfred Daffodils.   A great bargain at just £5.99   :)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #337 on: October 06, 2012, 01:19:59 pm »
ooh more back ache !!  :o You got a good buy there Hugo.
During this last week I have planted 55 more Tulips and 30 more mixed types of Narcissus, we had lots of tulips, but gradually something has been nibbling and we only had 2 or 3 appear this year. Thus I am hoping that whatever it is that is eating them desists and we get a few more blooms
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #338 on: October 06, 2012, 06:01:53 pm »
Hope that you get more luck with your Tulips next year Nemesis and I must confess that I've been back there again today for some more Daffodils. This time though I have picked three different varieties.
My friend just picked a mixture of Daffodils and had so many in that the handles broke!   A great buy if anyone is after some Daffodils.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #339 on: October 06, 2012, 09:39:24 pm »
make sure you plant them deep enough or they will not flower.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #340 on: October 07, 2012, 01:33:45 pm »
Thanks Snowcap for that good advice and that probably explains why some of my Daffodils haven't flowered in the past!      :-[
I had a look on Google for the depth that they should be planted and was quite surprised at how deep they need to be.   Luckily I haven't started planting any yet as I've got hundreds of bulbs.

Offline hollins

« Reply #341 on: October 07, 2012, 01:43:18 pm »
Hugo, you might find it interesting to watch last night's Gardener's World in which Monty Don was planting bulbs. He had a really handy looking long handled bulb planter which looked ideal if you have a lot to plant......save your poor back!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #342 on: October 07, 2012, 05:12:45 pm »
Thanks very much for letting me know Hollins,  this old back of mine needs all the help it can get!
  I've planted some in the lawn today, but there are hundreds left and my Geraniums are still in flower so I can't use the large pots while they still look ok but I can always store them for next year perhaps.

Offline hollins

« Reply #343 on: October 22, 2012, 01:38:13 pm »
Still got loads of dahlias out in the garden but I guess their days are numbered with the cold weekend weather forecast.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #344 on: October 22, 2012, 06:25:56 pm »
That's pretty, Hollins.  It's also nice to see that there are still some butterflies about.  I hope your dahlias and Hugo's geraniums keep flowering for a while longer.