Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 341184 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: Gardening
« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:36 pm »
Thanks for that Emma I'll go to B & Q and get some spray and only do it once they have leaves.  You are right it does get worse as the "summer" progresses.
Fingers crossed.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #271 on: March 11, 2012, 05:33:09 pm »
We visited the gardens at Bodnant and Bodysgallen Hall today. It was lovely to see many plants just about to burst forth in flower.
The first two photos are Bodnant and the second two are at Bodysgallen.

Offline emma p

« Reply #272 on: March 11, 2012, 07:56:42 pm »
Wow, those daffs look glorious. Ive never been to Bodysgallen Hall.......maybe this summer eh.
Ive got in the garden for the first time this year today. Its been so lovely (the sunshine helped) to clear away the winters debris and discover all the new growth. My crocuses are in full bloom but still only two daffs open up to yet. Its my hellebores that are a picture at the mo. I do love them, especially the ones i grew from seed. Its very satisfying to see them in bloom after a couple of years of just foliage.
I also have loads of ladybirds and there have been quite a few bees buzzing round too......all good.  :D
So, ive got the gardening bug again and am busy planning some new planting for this year. Gardeners World is back on the telly so Spring is just around the corner. Happy days   8)

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #273 on: March 13, 2012, 10:46:39 pm »
Those look lovely, Hollins.  What a super picture looking up through the magnolia. 

Offline hollins

« Reply #274 on: March 16, 2012, 06:20:51 pm »
Thanks Blodyn.
Here are a few pics from the garden today.
The last one is the sweet peas on their way, that's if the mice don't eat them first!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #275 on: March 16, 2012, 11:12:36 pm »
That's a lovely camellia, Hollins.  Isn't it nice to see the flowers coming out?  Good luck with the sweet peas.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #276 on: April 02, 2012, 04:44:49 pm »
That Camillia does look really good, I don't know the variety but it looks like one I had called "Donation"   The ones I have now all all single flowered ones and a couple of bushes have whitish flowers tinged at the edges similar to a Carnation but they are also throwing out some red flowers too on the same bush.

Offline hollins

« Reply #277 on: April 07, 2012, 06:29:02 pm »
I like your pink tinged camellia Hugo. Ours are all a solid colour. I was amazed to hear Monty Don saying a few weeks ago on Gardeners World that he didn't like camellias. I think they are beautiful.
It's a good job we have digital cameras now and don't have to go out and buy roll film any more because I would be bankrupt with the amount of photos I have to delete because they are hopeless.
However, I was inspired by Blodyn's droplet photos and I have tried to take some in the garden this afternoon.
It's fun trying anyway!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #278 on: April 07, 2012, 10:05:02 pm »
Hollins, what lovely photos, they really are good. 

&well&

Offline hollins

« Reply #279 on: April 08, 2012, 08:33:15 am »
Thanks Blodyn. Mum has had one of your cards for Easter and one for her birthday.    $thanx$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2012, 08:50:46 am »
They're really good, H; beautifully shot.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #281 on: April 26, 2012, 02:22:21 pm »
I mentioned my allotment under the wildlife thread (I have a large resident population of snails) and Hollins asked what I grow, so I thought that I'd answer the question here.

I'm just starting my third year on the allotment, which was fairly overgrown so this will be the first year that I'm cropping all of it. 

There were already blackberries, raspberries and rhubarb on the allotment and I've put in a damson, which I'm planning to fan train.  So far I'm growing only things which can be planted / sown directly, rather than being started under cover.  At the moment I have: onions (autumn and spring planted sets), elephant garlic, broad beans (autumn and spring sown), peas, kale, chard, perpetual spinach, beetroot, raddishes, first and second early potatoes.  Still to be planted / sown are: runner beans, French beans, more peas, asparagus peas, slasify, scorzonrea and main crop potatoes (three cultivars). 

I've also got a few herbs and some nasturtiums (which I grew in my first year and which have been merrily self-seeding since then) - good flowers for bumblebees.  I'm planning to grow some more flowers for the bees this year.  At the moment, last year's kale is in flower and is feeding a range of bumblebees and solitary bees. 

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #282 on: April 26, 2012, 03:46:30 pm »
You have been a 'busy, busy bee' haven't you?

An impressive variety of things, hope you have some good results.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #283 on: April 26, 2012, 09:25:29 pm »
Having some idea of your whereabouts I wondered if your allotment was at the same altitude? If so I think you do well for things to grow with the wind and rain we have had recently! Well done!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #284 on: April 27, 2012, 12:13:49 pm »
Goodness Blodyn, you will be having a veg stall at the next church fair!
Good luck with them all.