Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336540 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #255 on: December 02, 2011, 11:05:55 am »
mmmm-- I heard that as well !
Luckily the only one I have  is safely out of sight in the back. I got rid of 3 in the front.
Got a huge New Zealand Flax in the front-- hope that doesn't mean anything sinister ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2012, 09:29:09 pm »
Here are some pictures from the garden after this morning's rain, which left everything covered with drops of water.

Before anyone points out that the rain would leave everything covered in water ;), what I'm trying to say is that the water was in distinct droplets, rather than a film across the surface!  The photos should show what I mean. 

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2012, 10:14:31 pm »
grate photos blodyn, love the detail in them

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2012, 09:38:49 am »
Super pics Blodyn.

Offline hollins

« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2012, 10:17:30 am »
Gorgeous photos Blodyn. I can't believe the drops on the daffodil in particular.
They look magnified and a bit unreal.

Offline emma p

« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2012, 02:05:06 pm »
Fabulous pics........a sure sign that spring is on its way.
Mine are just beginning to think about it. We had some snow which i think has held them back a bit.
Been laughing about the pampas grasses......mine will be due for a haircut soon. Not a job we look forward to !!!
 ;)

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2012, 12:21:27 am »
Thanks, everyone, you're all very kind.   $thanx$

Hollins, the daffodil is a miniature one, so it is magnified in this photo.  All the little daffodils were covered with drops like that!

Emma, are you sure you should admit to owning a pampas grass?  :o

Offline emma p

« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2012, 08:02:39 pm »
lol, its in the back garden so i think im quite safe !!!!
We inherited it from the previous owners of the house and i hadnt the heart to dig it up. It was only a baby then but now its enormous and to be honest it fills a spot.
Thinking about it my parents had one in their front garden for years when i was a kid......but then again that was in the seventies and everyone had a pampas !!!

ps. spotted three little flowering crocuses today.....its all the sunshine weve had the last few days. roll on spring, im itching to get digging and planting again.  :D

Offline Jack

« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2012, 08:35:38 pm »
I'm sure I once read that setting fire to the pampas is the best way to manage it as it replicates what happens naturally in the pampas regions when lightening strikes and burns the grasslands, promoting new growth.  Not of course that I am condoning arson in your garden  :D

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2012, 09:34:04 pm »
Hollins, have you seen the BBC series  Bees, Butterflies and Blooms?  I've just been catching up with it on BBC iPlayer and the first episode (available till 29 February) has quite a lot of infromation on creating wildflower meadows. 

The three eposides all suggest ways of encouraging bees, butterflies and other pollinators. 

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2012, 07:47:50 am »
We have a wildflower and ecological meadow where we cultivate rare weeds and attract loads of wild life - we call it the garden! _))*
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2012, 08:21:55 am »
Hollins, have you seen the BBC series  Bees, Butterflies and Blooms?  I've just been catching up with it on BBC iPlayer and the first episode (available till 29 February) has quite a lot of infromation on creating wildflower meadows. 

The three eposides all suggest ways of encouraging bees, butterflies and other pollinators.

Thanks Blodyn,
Yes I have watched them. I am hopeful that more things will sprout up this year after last year's disappointment.
How kind of you to think of us.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2012, 09:47:34 am »
I'm sure I once read that setting fire to the pampas is the best way to manage it as it replicates what happens naturally in the pampas regions when lightening strikes and burns the grasslands, promoting new growth.  Not of course that I am condoning arson in your garden  :D

We did that with one of the ones in the front-- problem was containing the flames to just the Pampas and putting out the smouldering remains as the fire gets down to the roots !

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2012, 12:02:42 pm »
Can anyone advise please.  My rose bushes have flowered fine for the last two years but the leaves have become all yellow/black blotches.  Can I spray them with anything?  They are pruned at the moment so no leaves.  Also my apple tree had cookers but the leaves all curled up and sort of grey. I've cut them off ut wonder how to stop it, whatever it is from coming back?

Offline emma p

« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2012, 04:02:19 pm »
I spray my roses regularly with 'black spot' spray as i have this problem too. I use 'roseclear'. But it does advise not to spray buds. I asked at the garden centre why i am getting this as most roses now are disease resistant and they put it down to either the plant being too dry, too wet or overcrowded. I also take off infected leaves throughout the season. I think the problem gets worse as the summer goes on and then i do have a jolly good prune back to new buds.
Hope that helps.  $good$