Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 341264 times)

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2011, 03:23:45 pm »
I've just added a drop of water to my Orchid and noticed that there is a new shoot growing up from the base, also a new bud has appeared at the end of a flowering stem. It would appear that it is quite happy as it is. So I'll take a chance and leave well alone.   $good$
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #226 on: November 12, 2011, 03:28:08 pm »
Sounds like a good plan. $good$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #227 on: November 13, 2011, 08:39:48 pm »
Anyone notice how little frost there has been this year? This means most of the bedding from the summer is still in flower  :o :o :o

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: November 13, 2011, 08:43:33 pm »
Anyone notice how little frost there has been this year? This means most of the bedding from the summer is still in flower  :o :o :o
I did notice this. I was in Rhyl the other day and the summer bedding around the clocktower was still going (fairly) strong - amazing for November:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2011, 11:28:16 am »
That Japanese Maple is absolutely stunning Hollins. I've got 3 different ones in the garden including the variety Osakasuki but have never had colours like you have on your tree. What variety is it?

Hugo, Just in case you are still interested I think we found the variety of our tree yesterday. We were at the RHS garden at Harlow Carr and bought this. We think it is the same. Acer palatum Sango-kaku.
Had a delicious breakfast in Betty's too!

Thanks very much for posting that Hollins. I love Japanese Maples and used to go to Betws Y Coed in the Autumn to see some of the trees there in their Autumn colours.    $good$
Glad that you enjoyed your breakfast in Betty's but it's making me hungry now just thinking about it.    $dins$

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #230 on: November 14, 2011, 10:28:46 pm »
I did notice this. I was in Rhyl the other day and the summer bedding around the clocktower was still going (fairly) strong - amazing for November:

I tell you what, if I was a visitor from another northern European country, I'd be thinking the UK is some kind subtropical paradise looking at that bedding in November! That will still be there in December (providing Rhyl council don't rip it out).

Around here they're often too quick to replace the summer bedding with winter bedding. When they ripped out the summer bedding here it was still looking strong.

Offline hollins

« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2011, 11:32:26 am »
It is amazing how well things are looking despite us being well in to November. We have only just brought this hanging basket in to the greenhouse.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2011, 06:13:59 pm »
I,ts freakish don't you think, but at least it is shortening the winter

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2011, 06:39:33 pm »
The strawberry tree fruit has ripened here, and whilst I'd never eaten one before, and everyone says they weren't that nice... I found quite the opposite! The strawberry tree (Arbutus spp) is a very nice tasting fruit, nicer than figs in my opinion! They taste like a less sweet (but still sweet) version of a Nectarine crossed with a pear.

The fruit has to be ate when it is red though.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2011, 10:24:58 pm »
We walked up the hill from town and sat out and had a beer in the garden this evening at about 6 o'clock. I can't remember either wanting to or being able to sit out at that time this late into November. The forecast looks good for the next few days but you always get the feeling you're going to wake up one of these mornings and open the curtains  to witness white frost covered plants and shrubs. Long may the current weather continue.

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #235 on: November 19, 2011, 11:49:37 am »
Medz, certainly not much chance of frost in the forseeable future. Wendnesday morning is the closest it may come, but even then we're only looking at night temperature of 4-6C which may be to high for ground frost.

Thereafter it'll be a mix of mildness, a few cool spells, but not frost from what I can make out.

Offline hollins

« Reply #236 on: November 19, 2011, 12:30:45 pm »
A good day for cleaning out the greenhouse!
Still sunny.
Hope it stays fine for emma p.
 $good$

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2011, 03:59:30 pm »
I like the big Orange Smiley against the back wall!    :)
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #238 on: November 19, 2011, 10:40:07 pm »
Stephen, I've never considered trying to eat a strawberry tree fruit!  Did you eat the whole thing?  They look rather knobbly to me. 

Hollins, hope you got the greenhouse sorted out - it looks a big job!

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #239 on: November 20, 2011, 12:18:50 am »
is that the tree with teabag like flowers on in spring that turn into what look like strawberry's when the flower dies off?