Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 340590 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2011, 11:29:36 am »
Not really gardening but these two Orchids were given to me over the years as gifts. This is what happens with sheer neglect every year!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #211 on: November 08, 2011, 02:15:20 pm »
Those look lovely, Nemesis.  I've not managed to keep an orchid for more than a year. 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #212 on: November 08, 2011, 03:01:58 pm »
I had 4 but last year's harsh temperatures killed two of them. One of those which I lost was given to me by our first visitors back in 1999 and it had flowered every year since then. I tend to ignore them  and the fluctuating temperatures in the kitchen have never affected them until last year. :(

Offline Hugo

« Reply #213 on: November 08, 2011, 03:10:24 pm »
That Japanese Maple is absolutely stunning Hollins. I've got 3 different ones in the garden including the variety Osakasuki but have never had colours like you have on your tree. What variety is it?

All I can say Nemesis is that you must have green fingers to keep an Orchid in that condition. It's really beautiful and one of my favourite colours for an Orchid. I think my wife has just killed our last one but I haven't chucked it out just yet in case a miracle happens and it gets resurrected!

Offline hollins

« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2011, 03:53:20 pm »
That Japanese Maple is absolutely stunning Hollins. I've got 3 different ones in the garden including the variety Osakasuki but have never had colours like you have on your tree. What variety is it?

Thanks Hugo. Yes it is an absolute beauty. Here are 3 photos of it. The first one was yesterday. It goes red after the yellow leaves have fallen. The second one is high summer and the third I think was in May when the gorgeous cornus is in flower just below it.
We don't know the exact variety. We did try to find out but there are so many different ones. I would be great if someone out there knows. We were so lucky to inherit it with the house a few years ago. The previous owner must miss it very much.
I have a vague plan to take a photo of it in each season to make a calendar. I think I'll have to try and get Dave R interested in a photography project!

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2011, 12:10:00 pm »
Sorry to interrupt, my wife had an Orchid for a birthday last Nov. After the flowers dropped she was going to throw it away, but I kept it and gave it a few drops of water regularly. It flowered again this year and still has 3 blooms on and is producing loads of shoots coming out sideways, I assume that they are seeking new ground. My query is I think it needs a larger pot, what is the medium that I require to put in the new pot? Thanks in anticipation.  $thanx$
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2011, 12:15:07 pm »
I've got the same problem Quiggs. The roots are growing out of the small pot but it's still flowering so I'm not doing anything yet.  You cut the stem down to just above a bump once it's finished flowering and it will come again next year.  You can buy orchid compost in Homebase.  It's in the house plant corner against the wall if you are in Llandudno.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2011, 12:41:24 pm »
Thank you Llechwedd, it is a different Orchid to the one in the earlier picture, mine has broad leaves growing out sideways, I've just noticed that there is a new shoot growing upwards from the base. When the flowers drop I'll chance re-potting it. My main incentive is that my O H. said it would never grow, I said it would.   ;D  Right again.   D)
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2011, 02:09:26 pm »
 I have only ever re-potted one once, was told by an "expert" not to, but it split the pot, so I had to !
http://www.orchid.org.uk/orchidpotting.htm

Perhaps this might help.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #219 on: November 09, 2011, 03:12:51 pm »
Thank you Nemesis, but having read through the site that you suggested, am more unsure than before! I think the first thing that I need to ascertain is the Species / type that my plant belongs to, then take it from there. Perhaps my O H may win in the end.   :-[   $smack$
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2011, 08:13:57 pm »
Re: Orchid roots, don't worry about it, Orchids are significantly able to take aridity, and as such sideways roots won't be a problem if they're out of the pot. Best thing to do is repot in a slightly larger pot with sphagnum moss.. if you repot too wide the Orchid will fall over. Orchids don't root well in soil, and don't like being watered too much.

On another subject I brought two unusual plants from a garden centre recently, they are only seedlings, one was a Grevillia robusta which has very little chance of surviving out of a greenhouse, the other one the Albizia julibrissin, an attractive flowering plant/tree. They're both staying indoors for the winter although might have to keep the Albizia outdoors, not sure really.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2011, 11:58:32 am »
Thanks steophen prudence I'll try a slightly bigger pot. Minehas broad leaves too Quiggs.  I bought it from Aldi for £8.99, two years ago and it has gone berserk ever since only coming to an end now sort of.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #222 on: November 10, 2011, 12:53:42 pm »
Sounds like a Moth Orchid, like the right hand one in my pic. That was bought from Morrisons about 5 years ago.

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2011, 11:47:08 pm »
I always say if you can look after an Orchid, you're an expert gardener, because they are really tough to look after, especially those with tropical origins like the Phalaenopsis Orchid. I've lost two in recent years through light deprivation and over watering.

A clear pot is a good idea too, as the tropical orchids love intense light, and even in the tree canopies in the rainforest where it grows as an epiphyte, it still has much brighter light than we do in our homes or in winter in general.

Offline hollins

« Reply #224 on: November 12, 2011, 12:30:05 pm »

Hugo, Just in case you are still interested I think we found the variety of our tree yesterday. We were at the RHS garden at Harlow Carr and bought this. We think it is the same. Acer palatum Sango-kaku.
Had a delicious breakfast in Betty's too!