Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336343 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2011, 05:14:10 pm »
Thanks Blodyn.
We had a photographer friend to stay last week. I was showing him some of yours and DaveR's photos. He went in to the garden and took these pics for me. What a difference to my attempts.
I think your wild flower photos would make a great series of cards and notelets for visitors to buy, "Flowers of the Great Orme!"
I would buy them anyway.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #181 on: July 27, 2011, 03:15:21 pm »
Thank you very much, Hollins, that's really kind of you. 

A couple of years ago I did toy with the idea of producing a set of blank cards "Flowers of the Great Orme" (great minds think alike!) as part of our fundraising for St. Tudno's Church.  However, the minimum print run by our card manufacturer is 1250 copies per design so I didn't pursue it, though we do have our own Christmas cards with photos of the church (one design per year!).  My next "bright" idea for fundraising was to sell 10" x 8" prints of the flowers etc at our church fairs: several fairs later I still have quite a lot in hand - it's just as well the church fundraising doesn't rely on me!

Those are nice photos by your friend, you must have a very productive garden. 

Offline hollins

« Reply #182 on: July 27, 2011, 03:27:17 pm »
Have a look at this website.
vistaprint.co.uk
I have used them for Christmas cards and calendars. They have some free offers also. I thought it was too good to be true at first but I have ordered several of the "free" calendars and it does work. You might have to pay postage but there are sometimes offers for free postage as well!
I usually go for the cheapest method of shipping, 21 days, but they have never taken longer that 3 days and they come from Holland!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #183 on: July 27, 2011, 04:27:25 pm »
Why not print your own Xmas cards?    Modern colour printers will generally handle 120 (or greater) gsm card and if one uses a "coated card" which has a semi gloss surface some very presentable home made cards can be produced.  An A4 page can be folded in half or in 4 to make a smaller card.   Fold them carefully and ensure you get a good crease on the fold.

You can put your own verse inside and even have them personalised with your address!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #184 on: July 28, 2011, 12:29:45 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions, Hollins and Yorkie.  We could perhaps experiment on a small scale, even if we make only a minimal amount for the church funds.  I'll let you know how we get on. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2011, 04:44:13 pm »
Hollyhocks were always a favourite flower of my parents but I've never grown any until someone gave me a few plants last year.   The yellow one has come out and looks nice but I've not seen a sign of the other one which is almost black in colour.

Nemesis, I've taken you advice on the Bear's Breeches and cut off the leaves with mildew on as the flowers still look very good.   Only trouble now is that there are more flowers on the plant than leaves!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2011, 06:07:46 pm »
Mine are the same Hugo, but I'd rather look at a clump of flowers than a load of mouldy leaves ! People always say-- oooh aren't they nice, reach out and touch them, and jump back saying "Ouch"
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #187 on: July 31, 2011, 10:18:57 am »
Mine are the same Hugo, but I'd rather look at a clump of flowers than a load of mouldy leaves ! People always say-- oooh aren't they nice, reach out and touch them, and jump back saying "Ouch"

I've done it myself even though I know they are spiky but Marco has more sense than me and keeps away from them!

Offline hollins

« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2011, 09:00:20 pm »
Looked around two lovely gardens today.
The first two photos are at Bodysgallen Hall and the rest at Bodnant.
Lots of inspiration!

Offline hollins

« Reply #189 on: August 04, 2011, 09:03:14 pm »
More Bodnant photos.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2011, 09:04:04 pm »
Love the waterlillies
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2011, 09:07:40 pm »
You're getting good at this photography lark, Hollins!  ;D

Offline hollins

« Reply #192 on: August 04, 2011, 09:16:53 pm »
Blimey, DaveR.... the ultimate compliment!
No lightroom used!

Yes Nemesis, it was worth going for the water lilies alone. They were gorgeous.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #193 on: August 27, 2011, 03:54:41 pm »
Some of the mature trees and gardens of Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #194 on: August 27, 2011, 04:01:18 pm »
The river flowing through the park in Winchester and also a water feature near the Cathedral.  The picture isn't very good but there were flowers on the large Magnolia tree in the photo.  I never realised that Magnolia trees had flowers this late.