Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336726 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2011, 01:35:54 pm »
Just picked these from the garden. I think I could have posted this in the bargains section because most of the seeds came from the pound shop in Llandudno!
Dave R and Blodyn........where are you when I need you!

$good$  a very nice display!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2011, 04:25:23 pm »
Yes, well done!  $good$

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2011, 09:29:04 am »
Lovely photo, Hollins.  Your garden must look super with all those growing in it. 

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2011, 01:16:36 pm »
The Llandudno Allotment Association now has a website. 

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2011, 02:12:52 pm »
Hi there, although I'm currently in Wirral, I plan to move to Llandudno, and of course the climate in Llandudno is better than that of Wirral so more plants can be grown (and survive over winter).

This is a photo of my garden in Wirral, although when I move to Llandudno hopefully I will transplant some of it there (if I can move these plants without killing them!)

I am a huge fan of Haulfre gardens, some of the Cordylines there are absolutely monsterous... and the Banana plant by the tearooms is pretty spectacular!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2011, 06:17:50 pm »
That looks like a really lovely garden, hope that you can transplant them ok when you move here.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2011, 10:17:00 pm »
I am a huge fan of Haulfre gardens, some of the Cordylines there are absolutely monsterous... and the Banana plant by the tearooms is pretty spectacular!
I's just a shame that they are getting tattier and tattier. I see the old trick of replacing the annual bedding plants with shrubs has been carried out on some of the flower beds in the lower lawn area. Where will it all end?

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2011, 05:41:31 pm »
Hugo, they should be ok, but the Yucca has very fragile root systems, - that said snapped root grow a new plant from where it lands.. Cordylines are well known to be very bad transplanters though  :-[

Dave, It is disappointing when plants are just substituted for the easiest option. Depends what kind of shrub though of course, an insanely colourful, unusual shrub may be welcome, but if its one of those hideous common laurel bushes then I 100% agree.

Here's is some photos of Haulfre I took last year in summer.

These were certainly the largest Cordylines I've come across..

This is absolutely beautiful!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2011, 06:09:00 pm »
My RHS Encyclopedia says that they can grow to over 30 feet in the right conditions..-- Conditions must be right ! :)
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2011, 06:21:25 pm »

:-X  :o

How long do we reckon until the promenade ones look like this?

Actually there one well on it's way near the roundabout at the end of the prom!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2011, 07:17:18 pm »
It's interesting to note that none of the Cordylines in Haulfre have been killed by the cold last Winter, whilst the ones along the Prom were devastated, at least 70% of them were badly damaged and had to be cut down. That said, they are all growing again from soil level, which is good news. I think they are an important part of Llandudno's Prom.  $good$

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2011, 07:32:19 pm »
I noticed the ones toward Craig y Don where cut back when I went in March, but near the Orme they were untouched, even the red Cordylines where fine, and very surprisingly the Yucca elephantipes (the houseplant one), was also fine.

It seems any type of shelter has helped, and also a little height or any eastern facing aspect helps.

It would be interesting to see if any up the Orme survived.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2011, 08:22:42 pm »
Yucca Trees are quite hardy and mine has survived many Winters here.  At present there are 6 flowering stems on the plant but some years I've had as many as 13 and it usually flowers twice a year.

Offline stephenprudence

« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2011, 08:36:11 pm »
Looks like Yucca gloriosa there, a nice hardy Yucca. Yours has probably reached it's maximum height, maybe it'll grow a little bigger.

Here is Llandudno's monster Yucca.

on the other hand, here was mine before it got hit by winter a year ago.

*By the way if anyone likes the look of Yucca elephantipes, but like me, can't seem to grow it, try Yucca aloifolia it looks almost exactly the same, but its leaflets are lethally sharp (also aptly called the Spanish Bayonet)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2011, 02:50:40 pm »
Earlier this year I ordered 24 large plugs of double, non-stop Begonias. When they arrived I immediately contacted the firm as they were in such a state, leaves off, stems broken etc. 24 more duly arrived--no better. This time I took photos and contacted the firm again.24 more then arrived--worse than ever. By this time I was cheesed off and kept on planting the decent bits in troughs vowing not to use this firm again.
Later, although I hadn't complained a third time an apology arrived--more of a grovel really. It seems that most of these plants had been hopeless.
Well out of 72 plants I have a dozen of these!--- Was it worth it I ask myself ?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.