Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336550 times)

Offline Blodyn

Re: Gardening
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2011, 04:06:45 pm »
Hollins, the advice on maintenance of "Meadowmat" may be helpful for any wildflower meadow:

"Maintain Meadow mat just as you would a wild flower meadow - cut it back to 4cm in July, allow the seeds to fall back into the sward and then remove the hay after 2-3 days.

"If your soil is too rich, deplete the nutrient levels by cutting Meadow mat two or three times between September and March.  ALWAYS remove the cuttings."

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2011, 10:04:56 pm »
Help please!
Does anyone know the name of this shrub which is flowering now.
Thanks.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2011, 11:03:43 pm »
it looks like a kalmia (I've just looked through my shrub book)

http://www.english-country-garden.com/flowers/kalmia.htm

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2011, 07:44:32 am »
That's it!
Thank you very much. I spent ages looking through all the rhododendrons and couldn't find it.
 $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2011, 08:09:35 pm »
Help please!
Does anyone know the name of this shrub which is flowering now.
Thanks.

It's also called the Calico Bush and is a beautiful evergreen shrub. I've got one in my garden too but made the mistake of planting it too near a Pieris and they have merged together.
I've got a Spiraea that is late in flowering and the photo was taken recently but sadly all the flowers have gone now.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2011, 12:06:46 pm »
I have a large plant container with a fairly mature Rosemary Bush in it.  The leaves have gone yellow and the plant looks in a sorry state.   I decided ro remove it and plant a new one.  When removing the plant I found that the container is a monstous ants nest with millions of ants and their eggs.   Before I plant the new bush can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of the nest, including the ants, and preventing a recurrance of the problem?

Thanks.    $thanx$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2011, 02:11:37 pm »
Have you anything that you could set fire to it in?
Cruel I suppose, but you'll be over run if you don't get rid of it.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2011, 02:14:46 pm »
A kettle full of boiling water poured over it?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2011, 03:24:44 pm »
I'd need a bathfull or two of boiling water for this lot!    I did flood the pot using the hose pipe and as it is drying out the little blighters are moving all their eggs to a new location on a raised bed.    I have found it fascinating watching them, maybe I could turn it into a Llandudno Tourist Attraction!   ZXZ

Can't set fire to it the container is pottery.    Maybe I'll put down some sweet sticky stuff for them to get themselves solidly stuck to. 
Cicero

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2011, 03:34:09 pm »
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1001651

Have a look on this forum, they seem to know what they're talking about Yorkie..........Borax and sugar is suggested.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Trojan

« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2011, 03:44:53 pm »
Just dribble a trail of honey over to your next-door neighbours' garden.  8)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2011, 03:54:24 pm »
I'm ahead of you there T!   D)
Cicero

craigollerton

« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2011, 07:06:01 pm »
I have a large plant container with a fairly mature Rosemary Bush in it.  The leaves have gone yellow and the plant looks in a sorry state.   I decided ro remove it and plant a new one.  When removing the plant I found that the container is a monstous ants nest with millions of ants and their eggs.   Before I plant the new bush can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of the nest, including the ants, and preventing a recurrance of the problem?

Thanks.    $thanx$

Have you not seen them 'ant farms' you can buy on the internet. They are transparent with an edible gel which they drill through inside. You could have always transferred a few quite easily, along with their eggs. It's quite fun watching them at work. Ants are very particular with regards to the soil structure, so if you use a more organically rich compost in your pots you should find that they won't take much interest in siting there. If it is more of a sandy, silty soil, it is just perfect for constructing their dwellings though this too is what Rosemary likes though the plant is fairly tolerant of other soil medium types. Good luck with your new specimen Yorkie. Try an organic seaweed feed in the spring, plenty of that stuff to be found along the shoreline. To make the feed, google has plenty of info on how to.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2011, 07:19:09 pm »
Thanks for the advice Mr O.  The problem has been moved and I am hoping that they will be happy in the garden of the empty house next door!    ;D
Cicero

Offline hollins

« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2011, 01:16:26 pm »
Just picked these from the garden. I think I could have posted this in the bargains section because most of the seeds came from the pound shop in Llandudno!
Dave R and Blodyn........where are you when I need you!