Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 341320 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1155 on: November 08, 2021, 01:33:37 pm »
THE search is on for a new head gardener to lead Wales’ famous Bodnant Garden, near Conwy, in the next chapter of its horticultural story.

National Trust Cymru is looking for an ‘inspirational and exceptional’ horticulturalist to take the helm at the Grade I listed garden, celebrated for its spectacular mountain setting, historic garden design and global plant collections.

John Walker, general manager at Bodnant Garden, said: “This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for someone with flair, energy and vision.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19701669.bodnant-garden-begins-search-exceptional-head-gardener/

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1156 on: November 14, 2021, 01:10:10 pm »
To say that these are only suckers from the main tree they have been like a green curtain across the garden. Sadly we are coming to the end, but the colours are fantastic.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1157 on: November 14, 2021, 02:40:07 pm »
Those Staghorn Sumach produce a brilliant display of colour each year but the only problem with them is that they produce numerous underground runners that spread every where.    My wife's parents had one and the new shoots used to come up through the flagged patio
area

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1158 on: November 14, 2021, 03:11:44 pm »
You have it in a nutshell, we mow them with the lawn, but trying to give someone a 'baby' plant is very difficult. They really don't like being dug up and moved. We have been grateful for the shade in the hot weather, but the amount of fallen leaves are unbelievable. My OH has raked at least 4 sackfuls so far !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1159 on: December 01, 2021, 09:37:26 am »
Storm Arwen topples 50 trees at Bodnant Garden leaving a trail of devastation
Decades of careful nurturing was lost in seconds when violent winds tore through the garden, parts of which will remain inaccessible for a long time

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/storm-arwen-topples-50-trees-22321575?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline DVT

« Reply #1160 on: December 01, 2021, 01:19:26 pm »
I have just returned from Bodnant.  The main damage has been to the trees in the lower dell and Furnace Wood, many big ones down and damaging others as they fell.  Several other trees around the garden also damaged.

On a positive note, the upper part of the garden is relatively OK, no real damage to the terraces, East Garden or the upper part of the Yew Dell and the Glades.  The Dell, Furnace Wood and Far End are not accessible to visitors as trees are still being checked, also clearance work which will take some time due to the size and accessibility of the tree trunks.

As someone who grew up on the Estate this is the worst storm damage I can recall there.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1161 on: December 01, 2021, 01:33:55 pm »
I originally heard about the one Redwood, quite a shock, hearing more than 50 trees lost and the damage caused, I hope the repairs go well, and it was good to hear about the parts that escaped the storm.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1162 on: February 22, 2022, 09:50:12 am »
APPLICATIONS have opened for this year’s edition of the Wales in Bloom competition, while Prestatyn and Denbigh are among the finalists for Britain in Bloom awards.

Deadline for all entries is March 31 via: www.walesinbloom.org.

“Main campaign categories that are judged are listed here: www.walesinbloom.org/categories.html (entry fee payable).

“Or, groups can enter the RHS (Royal Horticultural Society) “It’s Your Neighbourhood” award – non-competitive, and they will be “assessed” and receive a certificate of achievement – free to enter.

“All judging and assessing takes place during the first three weeks of July

Any Wales in Bloom enquires should be emailed to campaign@walesinbloom.org.

A full list of the finalists can be found on the RHS website: www.rhs.org.uk/get-involved/community-gardening/news/articles/britain-in-bloom-finalists.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1163 on: March 31, 2022, 01:27:24 pm »
I saw this happen a few years ago, very scary, the tree looked strong, but started to break up halfway through cutting.

Diseased ash trees which "effectively explode" while being cut down pose a serious risk to people's safety, forestry organisations have warned.

Tree surgeons have been badly injured - some fatally - by falling branches.

They are being told not to go near the worst affected trees and use heavy machinery instead to bring them down.

There are calls too for more consistent advice for the public - some of whom may have dying ash trees in their gardens.

Ash dieback - a fungal infection - is now widespread 10 years after it was first detected in the UK, meaning millions of ash trees will ultimately be chopped down across the country.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60929266

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1164 on: May 04, 2022, 10:09:09 am »
NO MOW MAY!

That seems like a good idea to me and it will save me a lot of mowing during this growing month.   Apparently they want the grass to grow and the flowers in the lawn too.   It's to help the birds and Butterflies.so it's a good idea in principle.
Since I fenced off two thirds of my back garden I do something similar anyway and keep part of the lawn wild to allow for Cowslips and some Orchids to grow.
The other third of it is where our dog Teddy is allowed to go but the grass there grows very fast indeed and has to be cut at least once a week so I'll have to continue mowing that area weekly

Last week I cut the front lawn which was full of Dandelions so I used a low blade and got rid of them all, only for many other Dandelions to pop up the very next day.     It's a losing battle in the front as the neighbours opposite have no interest in gardening whatsoever.   One cuts the grass verge once every six months while the other has never ever cut his verge

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1165 on: May 06, 2022, 02:12:39 pm »
I've just found out that there are more than 250 varieties of Dandelion and although I may think that they are all in my garden the ones I seem to have are the ones that duck their heads when my mower goes over them
The Rhododendrons are now in flower so they are a pleasant distraction from the Dandelions

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1166 on: May 24, 2022, 12:54:27 pm »
The Laburnum in our garden is now in flower and looks better than it did last year.     I would imagine that the Laburnum arches in Bodnant and the Happy Valley will be looking stunning at this moment

Offline DVT

« Reply #1167 on: May 24, 2022, 03:07:35 pm »
Yes Hugo, the Bodnant arch is now fully open and looking really good, and will be for this and next week.  Visitors are advised to book online as the car park will be overflowing.  Also open late, for next two days I will be there until 8pm, starting at 2!  Also Wednesday/Thursday next week a late shift for me.  The rest of the garden also looking good.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1168 on: May 24, 2022, 03:35:00 pm »
I like the look of the Laburnum trees and the sweet scent of the flowers too.    Once the tree sheds its flowers etc there is always  a big clean up and I can fill two brown bins with the stuff
I can't imagine what the clean up would be like at Bodnant with that magnificent archway
By the way I see a Rally mate of yours quite often when I'm walking my dog in the mornings.  Roy and I usually have a good old natter when we do meet up

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1169 on: June 05, 2022, 11:58:24 am »
The orange coloured Azalea has just flowered and the Poppies I planted last year are starting to come out now