Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 334682 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Gardening
« Reply #975 on: December 01, 2019, 12:41:11 pm »
I have quite a few clumps of primroses in full bloom, poor things are getting frosted! I have never planted a single primrose, but the whole of one edge of the back lawn is full of them. Sorry I can't post a picture, but I am still not mobile enough to risk getting up to the lawn to get near them.

Talking of frosted, last week we were passing the B&M store, as they were bringing out trays and trays of plants, the garden dept. manager was making room for the Xmas tree delivery, they sold everything off for 10p , 50p or a £1   we filled the car,  ???
when we got home we put them in the summer house, till we could decide what to do, this morning when we checked them, we found we had made a mistake, assuming that they would be protected, so now the house looks like a garden centre, especially around the radiators..........                                                       Keep warm Nem , soon be  $sunny$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #976 on: January 21, 2020, 05:56:10 pm »
It appears to be getting closer, we have friends in Cheshire who struggle to keep it at bay, and advise ....keep a sharp lookout, deal with the problem quickly.

Japanese Knotweed  https://www.google.com/search?q=japanese+knotweed&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB813GB813&oq=japanese+&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l7.15460j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8is knocking down North Wales house prices - and the amount is staggering
The invasive plant can take years to shift and could make it difficult for you to sell your home.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/japanese-knotweed-knocking-down-north-17605331

Japanese Knotweed Heatmap showing the hotspots in North Wales

Offline SteveH

« Reply #977 on: January 22, 2020, 02:42:34 pm »
TWO volunteer gardening groups in North Wales will pick up pitchfork and spade ahead of a prestigious UK competition this summer. ref Pioneer

Now in its 56th year, the Royal Horticultural Society’s Britain in Bloom will see 70 finalists showcase their horticultural skills, community and environmental efforts.

Finalists are put forward to the UK final following regional and national awards in 2018 in categories including villages, towns and coastal communities.
Denbigh in Bloom and Colwyn in Bloom will compete after they won the town and large town categories respectively in the 2019 Wales in Bloom competition.

They will be joined by their Colwyn Bay counterparts in the large town category, which won gold at Britain in Bloom in 2018 for its beach and woodland effort.

Each will be visited by a pair of RHS judges in August as they vie for a medal, a category win and to be named Champion of Champions.

Darren Share, chair of the Britain in Bloom judging panel, said: “We’re noticing more towns and cities keen to tackle some of today’s most pressing challenges by tapping into the benefits of urban greening, with reasons ranging from concerns about our changing climate and air pollution to turning the tide on high street decline.”

For more information about RHS Britain in Bloom and to search for community gardening groups in your area please visit 
https://www.rhs.org.uk/communities/find-a-group-search-form

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #978 on: January 24, 2020, 01:29:56 pm »
According to the calendar we are in January, the middle of winter.  This pic was taken yesterday (Thursday 23rd January 2020) ... bees on a rhododendron that was in full flower (one of many in Bodnant Garden).

Plenty of colour, the visitors are amazed at just how much there is.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #979 on: January 27, 2020, 01:28:07 pm »
Can anyone help identify this plant, we found a couple in a damp corner of the garden, we thought it was a piece of litter at first, but as you can see, a lovely plant.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #980 on: January 27, 2020, 03:22:05 pm »
Looks very similar to a Hybrid Hellebore.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #981 on: January 27, 2020, 05:17:04 pm »
I think that you are correct Melari, it certainly looks like one,    that's a nice plant Steve        $good$

Helleborus niger White Christmas Rose
Brighten dull corners of your garden with this fascinating brilliant white blooming Helleborus niger, they produce curious saucer shaped flowers in late winter and early spring while most other plants are still fast asleep.

Ideal for shady spots quickly forming clumps.

Helleborus niger can be forced to flower during Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #982 on: January 27, 2020, 06:28:21 pm »
Thank you Meleri and H. , we both came up with the same conclusion, and a friend narrowed it down, we think ? to the one below,  considering we thought it was litter, a good outcome.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #983 on: January 28, 2020, 03:13:20 pm »
I love Hellebores & have quite a few in my garden. This one in particular is beautiful & not only that but is called Ellen, which is a family name through the generations. So I will be looking out for it when visiting local Garden Centres & I would be very grateful if anyone comes across one please let me know  :)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #984 on: January 28, 2020, 04:30:44 pm »
Thanks again for your help M.    If you do not find any locally, I found some on line sites that stock the plant, this link is the first I looked at, sure there are others.     https://hayloft.co.uk/product/helleborus-double-ellen-white-spotted/yp315f18

Offline Meleri

« Reply #985 on: January 28, 2020, 04:35:34 pm »
Thanks for that link Steve, I'm going to treat myself & possibly buy a few more for family members  $thanx$

Offline DVT

« Reply #986 on: January 28, 2020, 07:56:01 pm »
Lots of hellebores in full bloom in Bodnant, colours ranging from pure white to very dark red/purple !

Also available in the shop !  I'm there tomorrow so will see if that one is in stock !

Offline DVT

« Reply #987 on: January 29, 2020, 04:50:54 pm »
"Spring Promise Mary Lou" variety available in the Garden Centre - note the flowers on the label are white but one of the flowers is purple!

First pic is "The Pink Spotted Lady" and is in the garden, as is "Penny's Pink".

Lots of other varieties about, but cannot find "Ellen"

There are so many hybrid varieties no-one has them all, and it's difficult to hybridise and keep the same colour and pattern.

Offline Meleri

« Reply #988 on: January 31, 2020, 03:44:57 pm »
Thanks for looking for me DVT, I have also tried Glan Conwy Nursery but no luck. I will try the nursery in Caernarvon next, a good excuse for a run out & to have tea & cake. If I have no luck there I will have to send for them, but I do prefer to buy locally if a can with plants.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #989 on: February 17, 2020, 04:55:16 pm »
STORM Dennis has not delayed Bodnant Gardens in the Conwy Valley inviting visitors to help plant 250,000 snowdrops.

There was some flooding following the storm, but this has not stopped the snowdrop planting initiative. A spokesperson for the National Trust said the grounds staff are hard at work clearing debris.

The spokesperson said: “The garden, shop and tea-room are open today, but some paths through the Dell and Far End are closed while the gardeners clear storm debris, certain areas are flooded and there are fallen branches and trees.   

cont plus 9 photos   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18241495.snowdrop-planting-goes-ahead-bodnant-gardens-despite-storm-dennis/