Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336394 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #930 on: April 12, 2019, 09:34:27 am »
I was there yesterday (Thursday 10th) as well, giving tours!  One hour tour in the morning down the terraces and two hour tour in the afternoon all the way round.  Was a great day for a walk and with lovely groups of visitors!  Magnolias and camelias have had a really good show this year (and it is still going strong) as there has been virtually no frost.  Rhododendrons and azaleas now looking really good as well (note azaleas are now called rhododendrons, so don't been fooled by the labelling!).

Offline hollins

« Reply #931 on: April 12, 2019, 10:40:06 am »
Sorry to miss you again DVT. I did look out for you. There were loads of people there but they soon seem to spread out.
You are right the magnolias are really impressive this year and I loved the wicker lady that you had mentioned on here before.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #932 on: April 12, 2019, 10:53:57 am »
We visited Bodnant  the other week, looked fabulous!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #933 on: April 12, 2019, 11:11:09 am »
Love your two pics of the ladies and the amazing blue sky.

Offline DVT

« Reply #934 on: April 12, 2019, 09:34:35 pm »
Bodnant fact ... the tall magnolia in Hollins' pic is the tallest magnolia in the UK !!!  It is near the Old Mill.

Bodnant has 43 champion trees within the garden area, that means they are the tallest or biggest girth of their species - that magnolia is looking particular magnificent this year.  When it has lost it's flowers people don't believe me when I say it's a magnolia!!!

If (when!) you go to Bodnant look out for the trees with blue labels - they're the champions.  There is a special leaflet about them to help you find them - ask at reception.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #935 on: May 22, 2019, 09:46:53 am »
Bodnant Garden's Laburnum Arch has flowered early to put on this stunning display.

Photos.....  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/gallery/bodnant-gardens-laburnum-arch-flowered-16309820

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #936 on: May 22, 2019, 01:05:24 pm »
Mine from yesterday

Offline DVT

« Reply #937 on: May 22, 2019, 08:27:12 pm »
You must have got in early!  Angle of the sun and the fact that it's empty!  I was there today and managed to get it empty for some early snappers!  Back again tomorrow!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #938 on: May 22, 2019, 08:59:33 pm »
 &well&

8.55am, DVT, and behind a couple from Warrington. 

Offline DVT

« Reply #939 on: May 22, 2019, 10:29:12 pm »
8.55 - that's five minutes before we open!!!  Best time for the "glow" effect is around mid-day when the sun is in direct line with it - but to get the best pic you need to have the sun shining and the arch empty ... getting sunshine is the easiest to achieve at that time!!!  It should be looking good for the next couple of weeks at least.

But that's not all - the handkerchief trees are good for another week, there are quite a few mecanopsis (blue poppies) around, the Chilean fire trees are aflame, primulas and irises of all colours, and there's another surge of azaleas happening (note azaleas are now called rhododendrons!)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #940 on: May 22, 2019, 11:01:30 pm »
Yes.

The gatekeeper’s watch must have been fast 😂

We love it first thing when it’s quiet.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #941 on: June 12, 2019, 12:35:46 pm »
I've had to have a gardener to mow my lawns recently, but this week I was able to mow it myself.  The grass had grown quite a bit since it was last cut and had numerous wild flowers growing there including a number of Common Spotted Orchids.
They look quite nice when in flower so I made a note of where they were but then when I mowed the lawn I forgot about the Orchids and cut the grass very close        :(
Now I'm left with 10 green bags with just lawn cuttings but at least the binman is calling here tomorrow

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #942 on: June 12, 2019, 01:43:22 pm »
Hugo, I have a sit on mower, life is much easier, highly recommended .              *cycle*

Offline Hugo

« Reply #943 on: June 12, 2019, 02:56:27 pm »
I hope that you're wearing your padded shorts when you mow the lawn Steve as that seat looks lethal

Offline Hugo

« Reply #944 on: June 12, 2019, 03:04:31 pm »
I've had a Mountain Laurel ( Calico Bush )  in the garden for quite a while now and had no idea how you are supposed to prune them so once a year I just put the hedge cutter on it and it seems to have survived.
It's quite an attractive shrub with glossy evergreen leaves and the flowers are only small but come in bunches and are quite pretty