Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336225 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Gardening
« Reply #900 on: August 12, 2018, 04:42:41 pm »
Did the downpours today fill up your 2 empty water butts Hugo ;) Our patio is like a swimming pool and drive like Niagra falls and there is more to come I believe. At least the garden has had a good watering.
How did everyone else fare?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #901 on: August 12, 2018, 06:30:40 pm »
We are visiting family staying down in Llanrwst and must have missed it all !!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #902 on: August 12, 2018, 07:25:44 pm »
Did the downpours today fill up your 2 empty water butts Hugo ;) Our patio is like a swimming pool and drive like Niagra falls and there is more to come I believe. At least the garden has had a good watering.
How did everyone else fare?

The water butts are full now Meleri but the heavy rain has done some damage to my giant Begonias.  It was quite a downpour and I'm glad that I wasn't out taking my dog for a walk  as we would have been absolutely soaked

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #903 on: August 13, 2018, 09:08:22 am »
We had been out with the dog with us all morning, so waited until after the first lot of heavy rain to take him out again. Big mistake------we got caught in the second lot and were literally wet to the skin. No respite standing under a tree as it was coming straight through it !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #904 on: August 13, 2018, 03:42:23 pm »
I got back home in the gap, nice and dry, and standing looking out at the downpour I was hoping it was doing the same at Llantysilio where firefighters have been battling the huge blaze on Llantysilio Mountain for more than three weeks.

Offline hollins

« Reply #905 on: September 14, 2018, 04:47:24 pm »
Came back from holiday to a forest of asters!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #906 on: September 15, 2018, 12:47:57 pm »
LLANDUDNO has struck gold in this year's Wales in Bloom awards.

The results were announced at a ceremony in Colwyn Bay yesterday.
Llandudno was awarded gold in the Class 11 Coastal category, for areas with a 12,000 population.
In July, RHS judge Jim Goodwin enjoyed a guided tour of various places of interest within Llandudno on judging day.  ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #907 on: September 19, 2018, 12:21:57 pm »
Storm Ali has been causing havoc in the garden today with the bird table and a number of large tubs being blown over.    The Yucca Tree in the front has taken a battering and there were 18 flowers on the large tree so I've had to cut a few off and just hope that the branches don't break with the gusts of wind we are having

Offline SteveH

« Reply #908 on: September 19, 2018, 12:50:03 pm »
Hugo, sorry if I am repeating myself, are you aware that only mature yuccas flower and that part will die, sometimes followed by up to three new heads on the main stem, I snap some of these off while they are small,(they come off easily)  as a way of shaping the plant, I put the snapped shoots in water, and they root quite easily (for friends and family), I find this a good way of stopping them from getting top heavy.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #909 on: September 19, 2018, 02:07:42 pm »
Our Yucca is certainly a mature tree, we have been here 33 years and it was here long before we arrived.    The problem is that the flowers and branches become so heavy that they can snap off in high winds as the trunk is a bit like balsa wood.
We do have a plan B though as there is a smaller Yucca tree on the right hand side of the drive and we have also allowed another one to grow alongside the bigger one just in case it died or was damaged by high winds.
Like you we have given many baby plants away to friends and family but I've taken the cuttings from the ground as they had a habit of popping up quite often.
Luckily now Storm Ali seems to have moved up north so by now Mull must be feeling the brunt of the storm

Offline hollins

« Reply #910 on: September 19, 2018, 05:05:24 pm »
Some serious damage here and no power. This is our drive.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #911 on: September 19, 2018, 06:03:33 pm »
Wow Hollins that's some serious damage.     Hope that the rest of your garden and your property has escaped the storm.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #912 on: September 19, 2018, 06:47:27 pm »
H. Sorry to hear your news, hope all sorted soon, lots of stories being reported now, two people blown over in Mostyn St. this morning, taken to hospital, we witnessed a large trampoline with netting, being blown from a side street onto Gloddaeth ave, after hitting parked cars, carried on, causing traffic problems on the ave. before half a dozen people bravely manhandled it into a sheltered position.

Offline hollins

« Reply #913 on: September 19, 2018, 10:44:32 pm »
Power came back on at 10pm, well done Scottish Power. Luckily no injuries or damage to the house. Three different people had come down our drive in the couple of hours before the fall. Thank goodness no one was hurt.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #914 on: September 20, 2018, 06:37:40 am »
Hollings, sorry to see that, hope you get it sorted ok!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas