Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 334583 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Gardening
« Reply #990 on: March 06, 2020, 05:14:06 pm »
Back in January, you helped me identify a plant in the garden, a Hellebore, we found another variety, this one a burgundy colour, in the same corner , a bit past it's best, however trying to name this one, brought up something unexpected,    "Hellebores produce several toxic principles that are harmful to pets if any part of the plant is ingested." https://www.gardendesign.com/plants/poisonous-dogs-cats.html  the original plants are still doing well, as are other seasonal bulbs.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #991 on: March 17, 2020, 09:36:03 am »
With all the gales we have been having my daffodils are still doing ok and the Magnolia Stellata has started to flower earlier than they have ever done before.
One thing I was pleased with in the garden now is this Primula as it has self seeded in a hole at the base of the plastic urn

Offline SteveH

« Reply #992 on: March 17, 2020, 10:32:44 am »
I have noticed a lot of large trees locally showing white buds similar to your Magnolia Stellata, they seemed to appear over night.

Offline DVT

« Reply #993 on: March 17, 2020, 10:56:19 am »
Bodnant magnolias came into bloom well over past couple of weeks, also other plants showing lots of colour.

Unfortunately I won't be there for the forseeable future as I fall into two of the three "at risk" categories - I am not pregnant!

Open spaces in National Trust are still open to the public.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #994 on: March 17, 2020, 11:50:20 am »
That's a shame DVT as you liked being a volunteer there and  I enjoyed seeing your photos of the gardens and wildlife.     The National Trust are going to miss you and the other volunteers who fall into the "at risk" categories.   I know Arfon who worked there will fall into that category and he liked working in the gardens too.
I suppose he can spend more time on his allotments instead.    He and I go to a retirement coffee morning once a month and we all fit into the "at risk" category but I would expect that to be cancelled soon

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #995 on: March 17, 2020, 01:30:37 pm »
Gardening? Not any more, after the last invasion of the beloved Orme goats we now have nothing left but stumps and stalks in our front garden. The stinking mess which greets us in the morning when we open the front door is unbelievable.
People think these creatures are wonderful, but they don't obviously live in close quarters to them. Plants which have taken us years to establish have been eaten, ripped and trampled. The Rosemary, which they are supposed not to like, has been ripped and split and every rose bush is leafless.
The garden is enclosed with railings and walls, but this is no deterrent. The Orme warden and the local councillor say they are wild animals and can do nothing.
Any suggestions other than goat curry? >?>????

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #996 on: March 17, 2020, 09:49:33 pm »
I can testify that they are fine roasted or in a stew.  ;D
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #997 on: March 18, 2020, 12:27:27 am »
that looks like a primrose to me Hug, i may be wrong.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #998 on: March 18, 2020, 10:27:03 am »
Gardening? Not any more, after the last invasion of the beloved Orme goats we now have nothing left but stumps and stalks in our front garden. The stinking mess which greets us in the morning when we open the front door is unbelievable.
People think these creatures are wonderful, but they don't obviously live in close quarters to them. Plants which have taken us years to establish have been eaten, ripped and trampled. The Rosemary, which they are supposed not to like, has been ripped and split and every rose bush is leafless.
The garden is enclosed with railings and walls, but this is no deterrent. The Orme warden and the local councillor say they are wild animals and can do nothing.
Yes same here this morning, woken at 6am with them tap dancing on our black bin, they were in the adjoining gardens, one neighbor using a hose, which was quite effective in moving them, we have given in and removed all our ornamental pots and planters to the back.

We are advised by the council, that it is our own responsibility to ensure our fences are high enough, not theirs, I am not sure, but I believe some properties on Abbey Rd. have no fencing to the boundry with the Orme, the convent for one, which has a resident group of about a dozen plus, these open properties make it to easy.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #999 on: March 18, 2020, 01:24:09 pm »
OMG Watch it ! My OH was accused of cruelty when chasing goats from out garden wall, which incidentally was built in the 1840s and is part of our listed building, waving a long brush at them. Poor goats....... $hands$. My big worry is our huge Acer, they have destroyed 3 smaller ones and split the main stem of one belonging to next door. My Bear's Breeches has been razed to the ground, as have j
Jasmine and  Euonymus bushes.

You sound to have got the same answer as we did re fences, they'd soon object if we surrounded a listed building with 6ft high fences.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1000 on: March 18, 2020, 01:53:39 pm »
I can testify that they are fine roasted or in a stew.  ;D

They would be the staple diet now if the people still lived on the Gun site

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1001 on: March 18, 2020, 02:08:32 pm »
OMG Watch it ! My OH was accused of cruelty when chasing goats from out garden wall, which incidentally was built in the 1840s and is part of our listed building, waving a long brush at them. Poor goats....... $hands$. My big worry is our huge Acer, they have destroyed 3 smaller ones and split the main stem of one belonging to next door. My Bear's Breeches has been razed to the ground, as have j
Jasmine and  Euonymus bushes.

You sound to have got the same answer as we did re fences, they'd soon object if we surrounded a listed building with 6ft high fences.

Those Bears Breeches are deadly to touch so if the Goats can eat them then they can eat anything.      I've got no advice on that large Acer and hope that you don't lose it,  DVT must be the expert on trees and shrubs so he may have some tips on this

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1002 on: March 18, 2020, 02:19:53 pm »
My big worry is our huge Acer, they have destroyed 3 smaller ones and split the main stem

Nem, would it be possible to repair it with a splint and wrapping, I have used this on apple trees in the past.

Mrs H just told me about Bodnant latest news....

Our latest statement on coronavirus (COVID-19)                              I am led to believe everything including car parking is free ?

Wednesday 18 March 2020
Following our Director-General Hilary McGrady's announcement yesterday, we're continuing to work hard to keep open spaces accessible to people while we close houses, shops and cafés to restrict the spread of coronavirus.

This will take time and we hope by the end of Friday 20 March all places will have a plan in place as to what will be available to the public. Many factors have to be considered when continuing to open, including whether the garden or park allows enough space for adequate social distancing.

We'll try to keep as many open spaces available as possible but this is a changing situation and we're strictly following Government advice so please keep checking our website for updated information and always check the site before you visit any of our places.

The wellbeing of our staff, volunteers and visitors remains our top concern.

The latest government information on coronavirus can be found on the Department for Health and Social Care’s website. Follow the link below:
Department for Health and Social Care

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/bodnant-garden

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1003 on: March 18, 2020, 02:41:13 pm »
Steve, where did you hear or see this snippit
Our latest statement on coronavirus (COVID-19)                              I am led to believe everything including car parking is free ?

It would be great if it was true but I bet it would be packed with Saga louts, me included

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1004 on: March 18, 2020, 03:35:00 pm »
Steve, where did you hear or see this snippit

It would be great if it was true but I bet it would be packed with Saga louts, me included

Hugo,  further down the link, "Discover more" brings you to this..........  https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/press-release/the-national-trusts-latest-statement-on-coronavirus-covid-19  not sure if it applies to Bodnant, but could be a nice run in the car anyway, take a flask and a couple of folding chairs, and be a proper Saga lout.

"The National Trust will, where possible, open as many of its gardens and parks for free, but close its houses, cafes and shops to help the nation fight the spread of the coronavirus."