Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 334600 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #960 on: September 19, 2019, 09:00:30 am »
Do you recognise somewhere in this film trailer?

Sorry ... the link I copied just has adverts and different films ... go to google and get the trailer for the "Secret Garden 2019" and see if you recognise somewhere!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #961 on: September 22, 2019, 11:51:33 am »
Mrs H has been growing tomatoes for the first time, and brought me a sample to try........... ???

Offline Hugo

« Reply #962 on: September 22, 2019, 01:59:17 pm »
Try not to eat it all in one go Steve       ;D

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #963 on: September 22, 2019, 07:35:13 pm »
Yesterday morning, we enjoyed a guided walk around RSPB Conwy as part of their open weekend.

The point is our guide lives in Craig-y-Don and grow his own bananas.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #964 on: November 28, 2019, 01:19:18 pm »
When we arrived at our new house, the trees were in blossom, so not expecting to see bossoms this morning.........

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #965 on: November 28, 2019, 01:59:25 pm »
Nice...but unusual.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #966 on: November 28, 2019, 10:17:09 pm »
When we arrived at our new house, the trees were in blossom, so not expecting to see bossoms this morning.........

It looks a bit like one we have in the garden, is it the Viburnum called Dawn?

Viburnum Bodnantense Dawn is a highly ornamental deciduous shrub from the many in the Viburnum family, with dark green leaves that are bronze when young. It makes a delightful scented winter flowering hedge with the dense clusters of dark pink fragrant blooms appearing on bare stems from November through to March.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #967 on: November 29, 2019, 10:01:37 am »
It looks a bit like one we have in the garden, is it the Viburnum called Dawn?
Viburnum Bodnantense Dawn is a highly ornamental deciduous shrub from the many in the Viburnum family, with dark green leaves that are bronze when young. It makes a delightful scented winter flowering hedge with the dense clusters of dark pink fragrant blooms appearing on bare stems from November through to March.
Thanks Hugo, I think you are right, looks like a Viburnum, I am assuming yours is from Bodnant Gardens ? .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #968 on: November 29, 2019, 03:10:01 pm »
It's not from Bodnant Steve but I can't remember where I bought it from.    Over the years I've pruned it quite a bit but for about two years now I've let it grow taller and it certainly has and has nice pink flowers even on a cold Winter's day        $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #969 on: November 30, 2019, 03:38:12 pm »
No blossom up here but plenty of frost. I took this photo of the cotoneaster yesterday.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #970 on: November 30, 2019, 06:09:10 pm »
Nice photo Hollins and it looks very cold there,  it's good to see so many berries too as the birds will love them.     I've just planted 10 small Cotoneaster to fill a gap in a hedge so I hope it won't be long before they start to have berries

Offline DVT

« Reply #971 on: November 30, 2019, 07:15:58 pm »
Noting the comment about the Viburnum Bodnantense - the name would indicate it is a Bodnant hybrid.  Back in the 1920's and 1930's, and even now to a slightly lesser extent, the gardeners at Bodnant were always creating new varieties of plants - the Bodnant hybrid rhododendrons were often winners at the Royal Chelsea Flower Show - and their many different dark red varieties earned them the nickname "Bodnant bloody reds".

If you're in Bodnant Garden (note the correct name is singular and not Gardens plural - it is all one garden!) keep your eyes open for plants with green labels - these are the Bodnant hybrids, shouldn't take you long to find some!

On a different note, the trees with blue labels are champion trees, because they're the tallest or biggest girth of their variety in the UK ... there are 41 in total - there is a special leaflet about them, ask at reception then see how many you can find!  Yes, I do know where most of them are, and it includes the tallest magnolia in the UK!

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #972 on: December 01, 2019, 10:08:49 am »
Worth looking out for at Bodnant is the Judas Tree

Said to have been planted by the lady of the Manor in memory of her late husband; after she had found out he had been a little too intimate with his secretary

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #973 on: December 01, 2019, 11:30:26 am »
I have quite a few clumps of primroses in full bloom, poor things are getting frosted! I have never planted a single primrose, but the whole of one edge of the back lawn is full of them. Sorry I can't post a picture, but I am still not mobile enough to risk getting up to the lawn to get near them.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #974 on: December 01, 2019, 11:41:32 am »
Planted  some Dwarf Gladioli bulbs in July - a tad late in the season, but a few have flowered

Photographed yesterday,  the latest one   to bloom