Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 334653 times)

mull and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline wally

Re: Gardening
« Reply #945 on: June 12, 2019, 07:18:09 pm »
Kalmia Latifolia is the 'proper' name for the Calico Bush.If pruning is needed to keep it in shape, it should be done immediately after flowering so that you don't lose any flowers the following year. As your plant is flowering so well, you're obviously pruning at the right time.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #946 on: June 12, 2019, 10:30:22 pm »
Thanks Wally,  it's quite an attractive shrub and I think that is more by luck than my judgement but I will get the hedge cutters out after flowering and give it a short back and sides ready for next year

Offline hollins

« Reply #947 on: July 09, 2019, 07:06:53 pm »
We have got a yucca flowering for the first time. I remember seeing Hugo's on here and being amazed by it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #948 on: July 09, 2019, 11:55:18 pm »
It's well worth waiting for Hollins that's a beautiful flower but watch those leaves, they are deadly

Offline Hugo

« Reply #949 on: July 23, 2019, 06:56:42 pm »
A few years ago I visited the site of the former palace of Owain Glyndwr with my walking mates and collected many acorns that had fallen from the large Oak trees that were growing on the site.   My intention was to grow small Oak trees in a bonsai fashion so I stored them in my shed in the garden.
When I came to plant them on, there weren't many left and I didn't know what had happened to them until young saplings started to appear everywhere.   In the front and back gardens and in pots and urns and it was then that I realised that the Squirrel had been in the shed pinching them and burying them but forgetting where they had buried the acorn

Now the Badger is not content with me feeding him peanuts every night he wants the peanuts on the tree that I have put out for the birds. He's made a mess of the bark on the tree trying to get at the peanuts and has destroyed the Clematis that was growing around it

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #950 on: July 27, 2019, 12:30:06 pm »
With our recent move, we inherited "mature gardens" and "A riot of colour" well we have not been disappointed,  with our inexperience , it was a case of wait and see, and apart from one piece of impatience, were we discarded some weeds, which we now know were Hollyhocks,
everything is Rosey.     sorry only one photo, will have to resize later

Offline SteveH

« Reply #951 on: July 27, 2019, 12:52:46 pm »
This Hydrangea for it´s size has many blooms......

Offline SteveH

« Reply #952 on: July 27, 2019, 12:56:49 pm »
Passion fruit...........

Offline hollins

« Reply #953 on: July 27, 2019, 02:27:24 pm »
Gorgeous photos SteveH. Ditto on the hollyhocks. Mr H grew these from seed.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #954 on: July 27, 2019, 03:18:51 pm »
Nice specimens Hollins, ours looked very shabby, which is why we assumed they were weeds, and they kept growing without flowering, Mrs H was losing patience, but persevered.                                  A few more photos, have sorted the resizing issue.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #955 on: July 27, 2019, 04:12:53 pm »
Some beautiful flowers there Steve and Hollins.   We had yellow Hollyhocks in the front border but we had one that was very dark almost black like the one in Hollins' photo.
Be careful how you handle them Steve because those barbs on the stem are quite painful when you touch them as I found out and ever since I wear gloves when I'm near them.
We lost all the Hollyhocks but this year a load of Poppies came up near where they had been but they have gone now, 

Offline SteveH

« Reply #956 on: September 16, 2019, 04:15:32 pm »
CONWY county has once again blossomed in the Wales in Bloom competition, scooping up awards in Colwyn Bay, Llandudno, Conwy and Llanrwst

Colwyn Bay succeeded in gaining a gold award and first place in the Large Town Class. Ingrid Lewis, chairman of Colwyn in Bloom said: “We are delighted to have won gold in the Large Town Class. We hope in the future to fly the flag for Wales in the national Britain in Bloom competition.” The town also gained a Level 2 neighbourhood award for Old Colwyn Bowling Club thanks to the work of Colwyn Bay Conservation and Federation Group, and a Level 4 award for Colwyn Bay Environment Federation with its Old Colwyn Growing Garden.

Llandudno was winner of the Large Coastal Community class with a Gold award. Cllr Angie O’Grady, Mayor of Llandudno said: “We are so proud and very honoured to have won Wales in Bloom. I would like to say thank you to all the wonderful volunteers who helped us so much. This award is down to them.” In the It’s Your Neighbourhood category, Llandudno won an Advancing award for Holy Trinity Troughs Team; thriving awards for the Friends of St Tudno’s Church, 418 Aberconwy Squadron Air Cadets, Friends of Haulfre Gardens and Penrhyn Bay Community Library and outstanding awards for the Friends of Happy Valley, Friends of Queen’s Park, Friends of West Shore and the Blind Veterans UK. Ysgol San Siôr, Llandudno, gained top marks in the schools’ category. Head teacher Ian Jones said: “We were delighted to be awarded Best School Gardens in Wales third year running.”

The class for Small Towns saw Conwy achieve Silver Gilt and first place. Cllr Shari Barber Bailey said: “We are all delighted with this result in our very first entry. It has been a fantastic opportunity to showcase our town, working with local residents and businesses, as well as volunteers from St Mary’s Church, our Green Flag holders Incredible Edible and Conwy Orchard. Now we have to go for Gold in 2020.”, Llanrwst was awarded a Silver as a runner up.                                                                          ref Pioneer                                                                               

Offline SAJ

« Reply #957 on: September 16, 2019, 06:29:58 pm »
Just dipped into this topic and noticed Hugo's post relating to acorn planting. Here is one of four young  oaks grown from acorns over last winter. The acorns came from the tree in the half-barrel planter, also grown from an acorn. I was pleasantly surprised at my success rate having planted just four acorns in one large pot, protection provided by a riddle weighted down with a stone. The pot was left out over the winter and not touched until spring.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:37:16 pm by Ian »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #958 on: September 16, 2019, 06:38:32 pm »
I rotated your image, SAJ. Impressive, too.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SAJ

« Reply #959 on: September 16, 2019, 06:53:07 pm »
Thanks Ian. Love viewing all the gorgeous blooms!