Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336298 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #915 on: September 20, 2018, 11:38:08 am »
I've just seen that heavy rain is forecast for today then tomorrow we'll be battered by gusty winds of over 40 mph so I hope that you don't get any more damage to your house and garden Hollins.

I've just picked up all my fallen garden furniture and plant pots but I did that before I read about the forecast for tomorrow.     I suppose my game of golf will have to be cancelled tomorrow      :(

Offline hollins

« Reply #916 on: September 22, 2018, 04:19:35 pm »
Third time lucky with this post. The forum demons don't like my big size phone photos.
Clearing up has begun but on a brighter note here are the flowers I picked from the garden last Sunday. What a difference a few days can make!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #917 on: September 22, 2018, 04:48:08 pm »
Glad you are getting things sorted, looking at the log pile,   :'(    I miss the days of using my chain saws, I loved being out, and working up in the hills around lynn Geirionydd, don't think I could even start one these days :(   hope you have a wood burner.

Offline DVT

« Reply #918 on: September 26, 2018, 07:04:52 pm »
Big day at Bodnant Garden today to celebrate 100 years since women (some) got the vote and the involvement of Laura MacLaren and the suffrage movement.  Amazing wicker sculpture on the lily pond terrace to celebrate "unbind the wing" - it stands 14ft high and will be in situ for next few weeks.

Offline hollins

« Reply #919 on: October 05, 2018, 06:57:38 pm »
Chatsworth gardens looking great the other day especially the colour from the acers and maples.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #920 on: October 29, 2018, 11:09:42 pm »
We had a heavy frost here last night and the frost killed most of the Begonias and the Yucca Tree which had it's third  lot of flowers coming up this year and they will not have escaped the frost

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #921 on: October 30, 2018, 02:00:52 pm »
Sorry you lost some things, Hugo.

It reminds me though, I need to bring in the tap timers, drain a pump, etc. for winter.  Plus I could do with a final mow for the season.  I'm running behind schedule.

There was a time when we had to bring some plants in and we have a couple of paraffin heaters that would keep a shed at least above freezing in most conditions but it's quite a few years since we did that.

The only plant move I'm aware of probably being needed, at least going by the instructions, is an indoor plant.  I got my mother a bonsai tree for her birthday and it lives in the living room but I think when we have the wood burner (sometimes) raging (and we are reaching the point where it will be needed at least for the evenings), it will want a cooler spot with more consistent temperature.

Offline hollins

« Reply #922 on: January 12, 2019, 02:46:28 pm »
Not much gardening involved here but I did buy this amaryllis bulb for £4 from the Manchester Xmas market and Mr H planted it. Not sure if it is normal to have 3 big stems from one bulb, still lovely flowers though.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #923 on: January 22, 2019, 10:30:07 pm »
driving into StHelens this morning saw the first daffodils in full bloom at least a dozen or so, There are quite a few ready to burst through at our golf club, looks like spring is a little bit early this year

Offline DVT

« Reply #924 on: January 22, 2019, 11:03:55 pm »
Daffodils (the miniature ones) have been in flower in Bodnant Garden since before Christmas ... the full-size ones have now been in bloom for over a week ... they've bloomed before the snowdrops.  Dwarf irises in abundance, also quite a few rhododendrons.  Magnolias and camelias in bud and the Winter Garden with the coloured cornus looks fantastic.

The seasons have got mixed up, if this is global warming then let's have more!!!

Pay a visit, say hello if you find me (I'm there Wednesdays and Thursdays)!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #925 on: January 23, 2019, 09:11:11 am »
I was surprised to see so many daffodils out in bloom when we drove down Llandudno promenade last Saturday, it's quite a cheery sight to see on a cold Winter's day.
Glanwydden  Lane is a nice place to drive along when the Daffodils are out, you can see hundreds of them along the grass verges.

DVT, would you mind posting on here again when the Magnolias and Camelias are out as it's a wonderful thing to see them in bloom.   I'll be able to recognise you now that you are a TV celeb      ;D

Offline DVT

« Reply #926 on: January 23, 2019, 10:53:59 pm »
Hugo ... there are over 300 varieties of rhododendron in Bodnant and there is always one or more in flower on any day of the year - quite a few red and pink ones flowering now!  Also camelias, there are some out now, with plenty more in bud.  Magnolias well in bud also.  The best time for a lot of colour is springtime, but plenty to see at any time of the year, and at the moment the Winter Garden is amazing, and the views looking down on the dell area are not hidden by leaves on the trees!!!  Wildlife is also abundant with numerous sightings of the kingfishers (we have at least two) along with some other uncommon birds - pair of little grebes on the far end with the moorhens and redwings on the meadow!  At the moment two of our gardeners are busy pruning and re-tying the laburnum arch ready for the show in May - that involves over 20,000 pieces of string with all the knots facing the same way!  Always worth a visit, I am lucky enough to see it every week!!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #927 on: January 24, 2019, 07:58:44 pm »
Thanks for all that info  DVT  it's absolutely fascinating and as you say well worth a visit at any time of the year.   My favourites are the Rhododendrons but I also like to see the Acers in their Autumn colouring
It must be nice working in a place like that

Offline DVT

« Reply #928 on: February 21, 2019, 03:58:14 pm »
Looking at the calendar I see today is 21st February 2019 ... which means we're in winter time.

However, looking at these pics I took earlier today suggests otherwise!

... and there's plenty more colour to be seen at Bodnant Garden!

Offline hollins

« Reply #929 on: April 12, 2019, 08:21:44 am »
Bodnant looking great yesterday.