Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336306 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #870 on: May 09, 2018, 06:44:47 pm »
Recently visited Picton Castle gardens near Haverforwest in Pembrokeshire.
Well worth a visit at this time of year. I was fascinated by the display of unfurling ferns.

Offline hollins

« Reply #871 on: May 09, 2018, 06:48:32 pm »
National Botanic Garden of Wales.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #872 on: May 12, 2018, 07:39:47 pm »
Some pics of the back garden at our new home, interesting to see what appears, just weeding and trimming really for the first year.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:28:21 am by Ian »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #873 on: May 12, 2018, 07:41:19 pm »
No idea why 2 pics are sideways, they are the right way up on my phone! ::)

Offline hollins

« Reply #874 on: May 12, 2018, 08:54:36 pm »
Lovely to see those whether they are the right way up or not! Looks a super garden.
Especially good though to see Mrs ME looking such a happy girl!
Regards to you both.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #875 on: May 13, 2018, 08:29:29 am »
Tweaked them, ME.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #876 on: May 13, 2018, 10:40:44 am »
Thanks Ian! Cheers Hollins 😁

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #877 on: May 14, 2018, 01:13:45 pm »
Garden is coming on slowly but surely from the chaos of last year and other bits of neglect. I got most of the grass under control towards the end of last years growing season but there have been/still are other bits in need.

I sorted out the small greenhouses and have tomatoes, peppers and aubergines doing well as well as some outside tomatoes.  We have lots of leeks, a sampling of a salad potato and onions growing and at least sweet corn to go in. I’ve got my small bed I use for lettuce back, etc. And we have some extra help for an hour a week.

While we are making progress, I think this needs to be (another…) year of assessment, taking into account what mum (who is the real gardener here) is able to do now and what I’m perhaps willing to do. I guess that could mean another fruit tree or two and/or giving more garden over to grass – something I can deal with quite swiftly and easily.

I notice a patch at the front of the house which brother and family had a good blitz on one morning while they visited us from N Wales last month is already looking a bit overgrown. I don’t see grassing this area of chippings and a couple of small round beds as an easy option but I think we’re going to have to get some weed killer out fairy soon, even though the forgetmeknots do look pretty.

Thinking of a similar looking flower although the plant is quite different, green alkanet is becoming a bit of a scourge here.  Might need to declare war there.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #878 on: May 14, 2018, 02:40:14 pm »
Just a few random photos to show some of what I’m talking about.

The first is the front garden.  I obviously go about with my eyes shut as the bit nearest the house brother and co played with looks more than a bit overgrown.  I think we need new plans for much of this area but will need to see what mum comes up with..

#2 is what we call the wood garden.  It would be nice to have the short paths restored.

#3 just shows some of my water buts.  They link with more with behind the shed in #4 round the back. There is a solar panel on the shed and I can pump water to the greenhouses and the veg plot, etc. from there.

#5 is mainly focused on the old pigsties. 2 are wood storage, one houses a small greenhouse and the other we call the BBQ shed, there is a BBQ behind the wall and inside the shed is set up for cups of tea, etc.

#6 is towards the veg plot, some beds in order, others needing sorting.

#7 and 8# just show the track I’m now keeping open and forms most of my mowing/strimming. It’s off our rented patch but we need it open for logs and septic tank empting and the farm don’t keep it clear.

Offline squigglev2

« Reply #879 on: May 14, 2018, 02:41:39 pm »
Continued...

Offline Neil

« Reply #880 on: May 16, 2018, 02:48:22 pm »
I noticed this tree by the Mere in Ellsmere Shropshire last weekend, has anybody got any idea what it is? I have tried to find it on the internet but failed.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #881 on: May 19, 2018, 11:29:43 am »
Rowen Open Garden Day last Sunday had a good turn out and there were hundreds of people looking around the twenty or more gardens that were open to the public. 
We had a look at Llanerch Y Felin by the car park first of all and then headed to our favourite gardens  at Bulkeley Mill and Oak Bank and spent some time chatting to the owners before heading up the steep hill to Angorfa where we had a delicious cream scone and tea. 
From there we went down hill and then up an equally steep hill as far as Tawel Fan.
All the properties on that section have nice gardens with bridges that cross the fast flowing Afon Roe.
The last garden we saw was Gilfach and that had spectacular views down the Conwy Valley to Trefriw and beyond

Offline Hugo

« Reply #882 on: May 19, 2018, 11:31:52 am »
Rowen Open Garden Day

Offline Jack

« Reply #883 on: May 19, 2018, 11:38:14 am »
I noticed this tree by the Mere in Ellsmere Shropshire last weekend, has anybody got any idea what it is? I have tried to find it on the internet but failed.

Think it's Goat Willow, Salix caprea.

Offline Neil

« Reply #884 on: May 19, 2018, 02:54:02 pm »
Thanks for that info Jack, it looks like you are correct.