Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 336391 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2010, 05:34:43 pm »
great minds and all that D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2010, 05:51:27 pm »
 $dins$

Indeed :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 07:52:10 pm »
My Pampas grass was starting to look very impressive but with the winds we are having this afternoon I've watched the plumes go down one by one.  I bet by the morning they'll all be down.       :(
The garden furniture has blown down, but I had already put the large bird feeder on the ground to avoid damage as it's usually the first to fall over.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 09:00:15 pm »
I had to dig (now that's a task that looked a lot easier than it was going to be) the pampas grass out of the front garden during the spring. It was too painful watching the wind spoil in 1 night what it had been growing up to in the previous 3 months.

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 09:05:41 pm »
Large purple budleia completely uprooted in the winds over the weekend. I've cut it right back and replanted it.Fingers crossed it will make it.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 09:17:36 pm »
Large purple budleia completely uprooted in the winds over the weekend. I've cut it right back and replanted it.Fingers crossed it will make it.

It grows fairly easily on abandoned sites eg the old Billington's Garage in Conwy, so I would be fairly optimistic about it.  ££$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 09:19:15 pm »
The Buddleia will be fine, I'm sure, they are practically impossible to kill!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 02:18:03 pm »
We had three very healthy buddleia in our garden, but they had been planted by previous owners on a slanted banking that was too shallow. 
So they were leaning very badly last year, and I had to remove two of them before they fell over.

The last one has died now, I think because the roots couldn't get deep enough and it became unstable. ... I'll need to remove that one also. 

Shame, because they didn't have attract the butterflies.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2010, 04:30:01 pm »
Buddleia's seem to grow anywhere.  I've seen them growing out of roofs in Bangor and I had one appear in my compost heap this year.
They can stand any amount of pruning and I think that they advise people to hard prune each year.  Butterfies just can't resist them.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 01:51:00 pm »
There are still even in November, a few plants providing colour in the garden. Here is a clump of Nerines on our front.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 01:53:02 pm »
And here a clump of Kaffir lilies

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 01:58:55 pm »
I've noticed that the geraniums in the garden are still in full flower, also.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 02:18:16 pm »
Most of the  Cherry Trees leaves came off in the recent gales and I spent Sunday raking and mowing them up.    I tend to mow all the leaves up as I find that you don't fill up the green garden waste bags as much.
There are a few leaves left on the Maples but they'll blow away soon.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2010, 04:14:32 pm »
We had a fall of snow yesterday and overnight it froze and is still frozen now.  I've put some fleece over some of the  less hardy plants but won't know whether I've done it too late.
Last year I lost one of my Australian Tree Ferns because of the cold but strangely the Lemon tree survived.
Winter has come early this year and I wonder if it'll be as harsh this year compared to last year.
Here are some photos from earlier this year.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2010, 09:28:20 pm »
Popped down to Talgoed  Nursery yesterday and bought a Christmas tree off John. The wife also got a kiss off him under the mistletoe. Glad I didn't go on my own!

Called at Snowdonia Nurseries on the way back - they have a very impressive Christmas display and grotto. However Father Christmas was having a day off yesterday because he had been so busy over the weekend. (Proceeds for Ty Gobaith the notice said).

Visited Bodnant Garden Centre this afternoon and whilst pleasant enough I thought their displays a little disappointing, a view shared by my wife. The outside area had very few plants and shrubs for sale, in fact a large part was 'roped off'. There was quite a good selection of Christmas trees though. A number of the small units there were unoccupied and had "to let" notices on them, the only unit open was the Tina Holley Picture Gallery. Only a few other people there apart from the two of us and hardly anyone in the cafe.