Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 343048 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1080 on: October 21, 2020, 10:48:09 am »
On the subject of Autumn colours Mrs H and I always made a point of driving down the Conwy Valley around this time of the year to see the beautiful colours.     Over recent years we have noticed that the Virginia creepers that were on Tu Hwnt i'r Bont look like they have died, whereas in the past they have always been a vivid shade of red
After reading an article in the paper and a photo of the red Creepers we drove down to Llanrwst but the leaves were all brown so the paper must have used an old photo for the article
Does anyone know what has happened to the Creeper?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1081 on: October 21, 2020, 11:00:08 am »
Cracking photos Hollin's, ........Hugo, what a great shame, it was my mother's favorite place to sit, there is still some green showing so hopefully it will return to it's former glory.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1082 on: October 21, 2020, 03:49:12 pm »
 Those photos are from the internet but  I didn't see any green on the creeper when I went past recently.     I've noticed that for years and wonder if it's just age thing or the regular flooding that has caused the demise of the plant

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1083 on: October 30, 2020, 05:31:25 pm »
On a short walk this afternoon I went past this lovely Maple tree and further along the road was a nice garden with a lovely display of flowers in a group.
I've no idea what the flowers are even though I have one in a pot

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1084 on: October 30, 2020, 06:03:07 pm »
Think they are Nerines.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1085 on: October 31, 2020, 01:04:46 pm »
Thanks very much Nemesis,    I've looked them up and they were Nerines.        $good$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1086 on: October 31, 2020, 01:07:50 pm »
The Convent gardens have a nice display, and we were thinking of finding out what they where for planting next year, thanks from us too.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1087 on: November 03, 2020, 03:07:40 pm »
Batten down the hatches folks. The goats are down ! I saw two this afternoon in St George's church grounds.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1088 on: November 03, 2020, 03:19:53 pm »
Batten down the hatches folks. The goats are down ! I saw two this afternoon in St George's church grounds.
I heard there was a small group sheltering behind the flats in Abbey road during the storm.    :(

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1089 on: November 03, 2020, 06:35:43 pm »
I only saw two, one was a young one, but there could have been more. These two were hanging over the wall munching ivy !

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1090 on: November 04, 2020, 03:08:22 pm »
Just remember folks, you always have the Curry option  :D
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1091 on: December 30, 2020, 05:19:46 pm »
CHERRY blossom trees will be planted at Conwy Castle and the Eisteddfod Stone Circle as part of a heritage project with Japan.

More than 60 of the Sakura cherry tree, famous for its pink blossom, have been gifted to each the two sites, as well as the Roe in St Asaph and 16 primary schools across North Wales.

The Sakura Cherry Tree Project, which will see 1,000 saplings planted across Wales to form a lasting legacy following the Japan-UK Season of Culture in 2019-20, during which Conwy Castle was twinned with Himeji Castle in south Japan.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18976705.cherry-trees-planted-conwy-castle-celebrate-japanese-ties/

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1092 on: December 31, 2020, 01:34:28 pm »
Just remember folks, you always have the Curry option  :D

16 or more of the bloomin' things in St George's church grounds this morning. You could smell them down the street ! :-\

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1093 on: February 01, 2021, 03:50:47 pm »
Nemesis,  you're not the only one to have your garden destroyed by wild animals.          This is Teddy and although he doesn't look wild in the photo he has his moments.
Bits of the Japanese Maple have gone, the primroses have been deheaded and my prize Common Spotted Orchid has been chewed up.
He'll give those goats a run for their money!
As you can see we have downsized and Teddy is an 8 week old Cockapoo  and we have only had him 3 days so I dread to think what the garden will be like in a few weeks!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1094 on: February 01, 2021, 05:16:34 pm »
Looks like a lot of trouble, can I suggest a cage or a good strong chain, and don't forget the "Beware of the dog" signs, and a good insurance policy in case he licks someone to death !   Seriously, well done, I am sure you will enjoy every minute.    $good$   looking forward to more photos.