Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 334658 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1065 on: June 02, 2020, 06:21:56 pm »
Here we go again. Can't breathe outside this evening, our lovely neighbour is burning goodness knows what again.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1066 on: June 02, 2020, 06:45:13 pm »
Here we go again. Can't breathe outside this evening, our lovely neighbour is burning goodness knows what again.

Sorry to hear you are still suffering from selfish behavior, it has not reached me yet, but I will check the windows just in case.   $angry$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1067 on: July 04, 2020, 07:11:44 pm »
I noticed a few things growing at the base of a tree in my garden and after closer examination I realised that they were Himalayan  Balsarm
RememberIng Steve,s advice  I cut the roots out and hope that it does not grow again.    I have another one that is about  10 feet high and is growing in a Laurel hedge so That one will be next for the chop.
Individually they look ok but are very invasive when left alone 

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1068 on: July 04, 2020, 09:23:42 pm »
When we lived in Yorkshire our lane was bordered in it, 6 foot high and when it was ripe it exploded with loud popping noises. In quantity it has quite a strong smell.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1069 on: July 08, 2020, 02:41:42 pm »
We only have two Rose bushes in the garden but they seem to have done well this year as have the Poppies.    The common spotted Orchid has done well too and I found another two Orchids in the garden but unfortunately put weedkiller on one of them before realizing  what type of flower it was.       :(

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1070 on: July 08, 2020, 09:29:59 pm »
Lovely pics Hugo, I had 10 huge buds on my red poppy, guess what? The b...... goats ate the lot. Same with the roses, so I am enjoying your pics.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1071 on: July 08, 2020, 10:35:41 pm »
Thanks Nemesis,  I'm sorry to hear about the loss of all your flowers it must be so annoying after all the time and trouble you have gone to looking after them.
Next time we are all in Llandudno we'll bring a garden ornament to replace them and at least the Goats can't eat it.   Tellytubby will load it into his trailer and drop it off

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1072 on: July 09, 2020, 09:16:02 am »
Oh heck Hugo........I can just imagine ! We were slightly worried by our historical connection as he was very big on the black/white subject and visualised slogans daubed on our history plaque!
The garden has been left to it's own devices and what is left has gone mad. People keep saying it looks good....bit like a wilderness of green and yellow, but to us it looks short of other colours.

Online SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1073 on: August 06, 2020, 01:45:22 pm »
'Mystery seeds in the post': Warning issued after cases reported in the UK ref Pioneer

Security fears have been sparked after numerous cases of people around the world reported receiving mysterious 'seed packages' with unknown contents.

Thousands of shipments of seeds are said to have arrived at homes in New Zealand, the US, Canada and Europe, with 100 cases in the UK.

The origin of the seeds is unknown, and this has sparked biosecurity fears among officials.
International investigations have been launched in order to uncover the source of the seeds, as well as to determine the reason they've been posted.

What do the seeds look like?
Photographs posted by recipients show that the packaging of the seeds varies, with some packages marked as containing a "toy", others bearing Chinese characters, and some marked as "rose stud" earrings - likely in order to evade security checks.

Alarmingly, the shipments are addressed to recipients by name, suggesting that there may have been a data breach.

In the UK, the Animal and Plant Health Agency (Apha) of the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs is similarly investigating reports of the seeds.

An Apha spokesperson said: “Biosecurity is of vital importance and we have robust checks in place to protect our plants and wildlife, including for online plant sales. We are currently investigating packages of seeds marked as ‘ear studs’ sent to people in the UK. Anyone who has received such seeds should not plant them and instead report them to us.”

Where have the seeds come from?
The most likely explanation for the seeds is that they're collateral in a so-called 'brushing scam'.

A brushing scam occurs when people are sent items unsolicited by online sellers to generate a transaction and thus support fake reviews to boost their business or product.

Some officials fear that the seeds could be an invasive species, such as Japanese knotweed, intended to introduce disease, pathogens or otherwise compromise national security.

Recipients of the seeds are instructed not to plant them, and should report them to..............

Members of the public across the UK should report suspicious seeds to
PlantHealth.Info@apha.gov.uk

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1074 on: September 07, 2020, 04:16:33 pm »
The Geraniums have been a good show this year but are now coming to an end and will probably last another month before they have to be replaced with Daffodil bulbs
I wish ME would come and collect his Pigeons as they are costing me a lot to feed

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1075 on: September 07, 2020, 10:50:04 pm »
that tree looks like a man with his arms in the air pin some of your old clothes on it and you'v got your self a scarecrow, it will soon be to cold to make poor ME chase them

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1076 on: September 08, 2020, 12:03:36 pm »
It didn't put the Badger off when he climbed the tree lat year or the Siamese cat that leapt right up on it when he was chasing the Squirrel in the garden.
If ME doesn't collect the Pigeons soon then I'm afraid that the Siamese cat will be eating Pigeon Pie.   He was after one this morning but I chased the cat off but these old legs are not as fast as they once were.     :(

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1077 on: October 20, 2020, 02:02:50 pm »
The leaves on the Maples in the garden are changing colour but have already started to fall off

Offline hollins

« Reply #1078 on: October 20, 2020, 09:26:36 pm »
Lovely to see your beautiful maples Hugo.
Here's a photo of the lovely ones at Chatsworth and one of our acer.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1079 on: October 21, 2020, 10:26:10 am »
What lovely photos Hollins,  Autumn is such a great time for seeing those beautiful colours     

Hope that you are all keeping safe and well in these difficult times