Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 334680 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Gardening
« on: September 23, 2010, 04:52:58 pm »
Just after our puppy went into Kennels and we went away for a few days I carried out repairs to the lawn.   The pup has been digging and using the grass as a toilet so there were about 30 holes and patches to repair  :(  and this break gave us a chance to patch up the lawn and sow some grass seeds.
We've had plenty of rain but there is no trace of any grass seeds growing yet and the puppy is at it again!

Yorkie

Re: Gardening
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 06:27:07 pm »
Training is the answer.  Walk him past my house and let him crap on the pavement as other dog walkers do! :Scot:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:28:56 pm »
He's a very big dog Yorkie so I hope you've got some of those large black bin bags handy! :laugh:

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:20:38 pm »
Unfortunately my cat has now decided that the lawn is favourite to deposit. In payment for having the cheek to go away I came back off holiday to be be greeted by one pile per day of absence.Not a great deal in these days of credit crunch and financial crises but when you step in the last one while mowing the lawn!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 04:36:01 pm »
I bought a container of Miracle Grow Patch Up which was advertised on TV for dealing with circles in the grass and holes caused by our dog digging in the garden.  It's quite expensive for what you get and consists of grass seeds,lawn food and a compost that expands quite a lot when wet.   I filled in the holes but the compost soon ran out and I then completed the job using a similar preparation that I had,had  to make.
Immediately after I had finished the job it rained quite heavily so I was pleased with that but two hours later when I was back in the garden it looked like I had mole hills everywhere.
 The Miracle Grow treatment had expanded so much those holes had now become hills!    So then I had to go around every one and stand on them to flatten them.
I looked at the lawn today and am pleased to say that the seeds have started to grow. :)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 08:42:05 pm »
You have to be careful with that stuff:  :o

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 11:56:21 am »
Autumn is definitely here. This is our small Schumacher tree sometimes called Tree of Heaven.

Yorkie

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 01:23:45 pm »
Are you taking the "Michael"?    _))*

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 05:17:22 pm »
Trimming, pruning, generally tidying up - it's a good job we have the green bags to dispose of the debris. One of the better ideas in recent times in my opinion.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 06:37:15 pm »
Definitely, although I would like to see more people composting their own garden waste so it doesnt need to be transported in order to be composted at the council depot.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 08:30:39 am »
Autumn is definitely here. This is our small Schumacher tree sometimes called Tree of Heaven.

Wow--- mine is still green.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 01:41:25 pm »
Those Schumacher trees have got fantastic Autumn colouring and I was going to get one for the garden until I read that they throw up suckers all over the lawn.    Have yours done the same?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 02:02:05 pm »
I used to have a couple of them in my old garden and they were favourites of mine. Their offspring appeared occasionally in the surrounding border but I never found any in the lawn, which was a only a couple of feet from the plant.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 03:21:44 pm »
Perhaps the suckers were in the lawn Dave but constant mowing may have  taken the tops off them.   That happens to me with my Yucca Tree and I just mow the tops off them. One day though, I'm going to have to dig them out because they are multiplying like mad.
My mother in law had one of those Schumachers in a border but the shoots ended up coming through the paved patio and tarmac covered driveway and only stopped when the main tree died.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 06:10:14 pm »
Mine began life as someone elses sucker--
given as a gift when a friend moved away.
 :(
It is now a tree with suckers of it's own-- not in the lawn though.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.