Author Topic: Guto Bebb MP  (Read 31069 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Guto Bebb MP
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2014, 08:33:22 am »
I'm glad to see my MP is fully devoting his time to Constituency matters and not personal obsessions. Oh wait...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11157561/Labours-Palestinian-vote-damages-Britain.html

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2014, 10:22:59 pm »
... and to think they have just voted themselves a £9,000 pay rise for unnecessary drivel like that, when the nurses and midwives cannot be spared a penny!

I makes me sick.   :puke2: :puke2: :puke2:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2014, 08:20:43 am »
... and to think they have just voted themselves a £9,000 pay rise for unnecessary drivel like that, when the nurses and midwives cannot be spared a penny!

I makes me sick.   :puke2: :puke2: :puke2:

Pity he's not interested in Aberconwy.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2014, 11:29:30 am »
I Don't think Plebb has much chance in the elections next year, should he stand again.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2014, 01:00:16 pm »
I Don't think Plebb has much chance in the elections next year, should he stand again.

I don't think anyone named Plebb will be standing.    WWW
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2014, 07:55:35 pm »
Daily Post WEB BLOG: This quote from Parliament has been brought to our attention today.

Guto Bebb (Aberconwy) (Con): "On a point of order, Madam Deputy Speaker. On 9 September, I secured an Adjournment debate entitled “North Wales Police and Anonymous Blog Site”.

"During the debate, I highlighted information presented to me by a private investigator who identified a Mr Nigel Roberts and a Mr Dylan Moore as being involved with the site. Mr Roberts subsequently admitted his involvement, but Mr Moore strongly denied it.

"Following a long meeting with Mr Moore, I formed a view that the conclusion raised by the private investigator with respect to Mr Moore was incorrect. While Mr Moore accepted that I acted in good faith, it is important to me to correct the record. I am grateful for the opportunity to do so."

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2014, 01:01:25 pm »
MP Guto Bebb formally retracts Thoughts of Oscar blog allegations

Aberconwy MP Guto Bebb has formally retracted his suggestion that the business partner of Clwyd West MP David Jones was linked to a “vicious and nasty local blog”.

Last month the Conservative MP used House of Commons privilege to describe how a private investigator told him he was confident that Llandudno solicitor Dylan Moore was involved in the now-defunct blog Thoughts of Oscar.
But on September 19, Mr Bebb described the information as “erroneous” and apologised “unreservedly” to Mr Moore. Mr Moore had denied any involvement in the blog, adding that he did “not tweet, text or use a mobile phone.”

Conservative MP and former Welsh Secretary David Jones also denied any involvement in the “authorship of the blog.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mp-guto-bebb-formally-retracts-7952224

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2015, 08:27:45 pm »
G Bebb spoke in favour of the TTIP this afternoon in Parliament. If you've not encountered this before, it's the treaty that will make trade much more unrestricted between ourselves and the US. The final result of this treaty could be bad or good, but the main provision to which most object is ISDS, an instrument which would allow major corporations to sue the UK Government in secret.

Geraint Davis MP (Swansea) gained the debate to discuss those concerns. Mr Bebb, however, has immense faith in the US. He stated: "On employee rights, I met representatives of the American trade union movement, which sees TTIP as a great opportunity to ensure that the rights we have in Europe are replicated in the US.".

Peter Lilley (Con Hitchin and Harpenden) spoke eloquently: "All these problems are comparatively easy when we are just dealing with the abolition of tariffs. When we are handing to international bureaucracies and legal tribunals wide areas of regulation, investment rules and procurement, the problems may be greater. My other concern about bureaucracies is that they may be unduly influenced by corporate lobbying."

Guto Bebb, however, was unmoved and clearly views those concerned about the effects of the TTIP as, at least, irrational.  He stated: "This is another example of how elements in British society are trying to close down debate. [] This is not about trade and not about the health service, but about a latent anti-western, anti-US agenda."

Thus those who object to TTIP being blithely pushed through are Left Wing, anti-US and anti-Free trade.

Full text of everything said is here.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2017, 04:36:34 pm »
Guto Bebb has sent an interesting email. It's worth reading, if only for the decidedly anti-media tone and the Trump-like sentiments he appears to be expressing:

Further to my message yesterday I am now in a position to explain further why the behaviour of the Daily Post raises serious questions about the integrity and impartiality of that paper and their reporter.

When we were contacted by Mr. Brennan we did not refuse to provide a comment as was claimed.  We did in fact explain the context of the exchange of correspondence with Mr. Thomas but further explained that due to data protection issues and other matters of a sensitive nature we would not make all the emails / facebook messages available.  We did however provide Mr. Brennan with a quote which he was free to use taken from the article I had previously written for the North Wales Weekly News which is a sister paper of the Daily Post.  Mr. Brennan did not choose to use any of the quotes freely available to him from that article.

There are two issues which arise from this.  The first is the undisclosed fact that Mr. Brennan was not once but on two occasions a Plaid Cymru candidate in local and national elections.  Nowhere within the Daily Post or on their website is this touched upon.  I do wonder whether somebody with such a strong and recent party political affiliation can claim to be impartial.  In view of a previous less than well researched and far from impartial story about me which was written by Mr. Brennan I think that it’s fair to ask whether this journalist is using his platform on the Daily Post to attack what he considers to be his political opponents.  I think the question is worthy of a response from the Daily Post.  I have never, despite a degree of annoyance, complained to the Daily Post that another of their dwindling band of reporters always displays Plaid Cymru posters during elections.  It is now worth asking whether a paper, produced by a very small group of journalists, can accommodate such strong political affiliation within its journalistic ranks without it having an adverse impact on the ability of the Daily Post to provide an impartial service to their readers.

Secondly, as a result of the publication of this rather disreputable and less than partial article on their website and on their front page the Daily Post allowed their on-line comment section to reveal that Mr. Thomas is a serving police officer within the North Wales force.  I have little doubt that his correspondence with me is in breach of the code of conduct for police officers which asks officers to act with political impartiality at all times.  Due to the sensitive nature of any such concern I had not wanted to embarrass a constituent who had behaved badly and rudely despite his decision to try and use the press to attack me.  As such I made no mention to Mr. Brennan about Mr. Thomas’ employment in order to avoid him being embarrassed in public. However, as a direct result of the reporting of the Daily Post and the ‘outing’ of Mr. Thomas within their comments section I have had no choice other than to formally write to the Chief Constable on this issue making Mr. Thomas the fourth police officer to have been the subject of correspondence between myself and the Chief Constable since the General Election.

My respect and admiration towards the vast majority of police officers is absolute.  Any concerns I have had as the local MP have always been discussed privately with North Wales Police through the appropriate channels.  It’s a real shame that in order to follow what I regard as a political vendetta rather than any real interest in reporting a news story Mr. Brennan has caused distress to many – not least Mr. Thomas.  I think people here in Aberconwy need to give careful consideration as to whether they can take the Daily Post seriously when they allow a politically committed individual to claim the cloak of journalistic impartiality.

I've highlighted the sections where Guto Bebb makes comments towards the DP and the aside where he refers to
"another of their dwindling band of reporters" displaying a PC poster.

Aside from Mr Bebb's curious use of the Royal 'we' whatever we feel about the DP (there's little doubt in my mind that the overall quality of their editing has deteriorated somewhat in past years) I believe the real point is whether Guto Bebb is merely jumping aboard the Trump Bandwagon. Denigrating a free press sets extremely dangerous precedents, and especially so when done by those in power. The DP - like all print media - fights a daily battle for survival. Of course we're not going to agree with what it says much of the time, but the press exists to hold power to account. Of course reporters are going to hold political views: that's called democracy and although those views may not be what the incumbents want to hear it's their right to hold such views.

I am no defender of PC, the party founded by his Grandfather and of which Mr Bebb was once chair of the Caernarfon branch, but I'm forced to wonder had the reporter in question declared they were Tory supporters or displayed Tory posters whether Mr Bebb would have complained. The only point - the only point on which it is legitimate to challenge any media reporting is accuracy. It is patently absurd to hint at political bias in a small local paper when a very large chunk of the mainstream press provides significant funding for the Tory party and actively campaigns in favour of the Right. And the results of the last General Election would seem to indicate that what the papers say has little impact on the average voter, despite what the more paranoid of the parties at Westminster might feel.

For a sitting MP to send out an email which is definitely threatening in tone and smacks of bullying, making allegations of political bias and misreporting is a serious matter and seems designed to intimidate. Perhaps Mr Bebb should consider talking directly to people. 

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:00:38 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2017, 07:33:27 pm »
More evidence, should any be needed, of why the vast majority of politicians are not worth their pay.
In fact, any pay really.
Given how well China and Russia seem to be doing these days, I'm starting to wonder why we bother with democracy at all. I'm being serious.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -