Author Topic: Tenby  (Read 26563 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Tenby
« on: September 22, 2010, 03:34:18 pm »
Just come back from a holiday in Tenby, it was my first visit there but hopefully not my last.   The dry warm weather obviously helped but the resort is beautiful with 3 clean sandy beaches.
North Shore
Harbour

Offline Hugo

Tenby
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 03:39:59 pm »
South Shore Tenby

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
Tenby
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 04:10:30 pm »
Lovely pics Hugo brings back happy memories of when we stayed at Kiln Park caravan site. Tenby is a super place.

Offline Hugo

Re: Tenby
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 04:36:58 pm »
Just had a look at the video of Kiln Park and it looks great for a holiday Barbiroli.   There's loads of good beaches in that area and some nice villages too.  On our coach trip to St Davids we passed a lovely village called Solva but the coach didn't stop there. :(  so we'll go there when we're next in  Tenby

Offline Barbiroli

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 06:46:43 pm »
My husband and the family (me excluded don`t like the water) went to Caldey Island from Tenby Harbour to see the Monastery they enjoyed the trip.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:25:23 pm »
We didn't get to Caldy Island as there were coach trips laid on for us but we'll do it next time.   Instead we shopped at the Caldy Island produce shop in Tenby and bought some chocolate there.
One couple from our hotel visited the Island but as they had walking difficulty they never left the landing stage area and there was no method of transport for them which was a shame.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 05:28:10 pm »
I remember as a young boy going to Caldy Island and the boat landed by concrete boats (something to do with the war I think) I wonder if they are still there?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline dontheturner

• Never look back, at your past mistakes
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 12:40:06 pm »
I remember as a young boy going to Caldy Island and the boat landed by concrete boats (something to do with the war I think) I wonder if they are still there?

I think they were Army Landing Craft type things used to make emergency Piers/Jetties

dontheturner.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 06:37:48 pm »
When I go back to Tenby (hopefully next year)  I will definitely go over to Caldey Island.  It was only the lack of time that prevented me doing so this year.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 03:34:17 pm »
We used to go to Tenby when we were kids. Cauldy Island monks used to make the best ice cream but due to H and H they were no longer allowed to make it as we found out on our last trip a couple of years ago. Beautiful place though.  about 10 of us rented a house on the harbour had an excellent time. 
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline hollins

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 01:50:53 pm »
Looks like we have a lot in common Hugo. I love Tenby as well.
This is a photo I took near the lifeboat station when I thought the birds overhead were going to attack me!
Enjoy your trip later in the year.

Dave R........"Never been to Tenby but it looks very pleasant judging by your photos"........
Get yourself down there and take your camera. Gorgeous place.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 05:30:42 pm »
With a car full of tents we set off to go to Cornwall but just beyond Buckingham it began to torrent down (against the rules that - verbalising nouns!) and dire weather warnings about the south west appeared rife on the wireless. So we turned off to head through the Cotswolds to west Wales, meaning to go to St Davids. Axle deep in floods we finally ended up in Tenby - never been there before and (tents impossible) manage to get a flatlet in one of those tall hotels overlooking the beach. We gratefully hid under the beds for shelter.

Next morning sported a brilliantly clear atmosphere with sunshine and scudding clouds - and when we looked out of the window, to our amazement, there were Napoleonic soldiers marching across the beach. On further inspection we found a film crew with Miriam Margolis and Gene from Life on Mars (forgotten his name) et al. We spend much of an incredible week in an incredible town watching the filming of scenes for the TV edition of Vanity Fair.

Serendipity.  $thanx$ Tenby.
Micox

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 05:31:45 pm »
Nice little tale, Micox.  $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 07:10:34 pm »
Hollins is on holiday in Pembrokeshire with her mum. This is her first visit to this part of the world and she is 85 years old, very remiss of her!
We set off on Saturday. We are staying about 20 mins north of Tenby near a place called Narbeth. It is a pleasant thriving town with some good shops.
It is a 4 hour drive from my home in North Wales so we stopped on the way at Aberaeron. We had delicious fish and chips at the Harbourmaster Hotel. It is a very scenic place with a lovely harbour (see first two photos).
Unfortunately that is the last time we saw the sun.
Today we visited Tenby and as you can see in the third photo it was dull and cloudy, not the sunny scenes that Hugo was lucky to experience. Nevertheless it was a good day out.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:11:57 pm »
The colours of the Harbourmaster Hotel work very well.