Author Topic: Tenby  (Read 26572 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Tenby
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 07:22:20 pm »
Yes, shame about the car although at least it was blue!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 08:28:58 pm »
You'll have a few surprises in the Tenby area, all nice. First, Tenby stays open until 10 p.m. every night---and I dont mean pubs, and clubs. I mean shops, attractions, horse rides --the lot. It always has done, the busineses dont think anything about it, they just think its natural.  You will soon find out the differences between Narbeth and Tenby/Saundersfoot. Narbeth is in what is known as the "Welshry." Tenby is known as "little England beyond Wales." It is similar to Llandudno and say Llanrwst. Only a small distance but, amongst other things, the language used everywhere is different.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 08:40:59 pm »
Tenby is known as "little England beyond Wales."

I thought that was Rhyl West.  ???

Offline hollins

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 06:26:17 pm »
A nice day out to St Davids today. The smallest city in Britain.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 01:06:14 am »
You get about a bit don't you H?   No offence meant obviously...  :-[
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 04:55:47 am »

:laugh:

Offline hollins

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 08:30:02 am »

;D
Don't let the grass grow under your feet!

It all started when I went for my first job interview. The man who was to become my boss said to me, "You won't mind travelling on your own abroad will you?"
I answered , "O'h no, no problem."
Little did he know that I had only ever been on a school coach trip to Holland before that day!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 12:24:26 pm »
Lovely photo of the Harbourmaster Hotel Hollins, we saw it on the coach going down to Tenby last year but unfortunately the coach didn't stop there. Lots of the houses and hotels in that area  are also painted in bright colours and they look very effective.
We stayed at a hotel in Tenby that is near where your mother is in the photo and will be going back there very soon.

Offline hollins

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 04:05:30 pm »
Today, a walk from Colby woodland garden (National Trust) to Amroth and back.
Amroth is the start or the end (whichever way you chose to do it) of the Pembrokeshire coast path.
My husband and I are about halfway through it, back in October, all being well to do another section.
Lovely walking and much more unspoilt than Cornwall.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 06:14:55 pm »
The Pembrokeshire Coast Path is lovely.  Some years ago a friend and I walked it in 12 days carrying camping equipment most of the way.  We left the camping stuff with her parents for a couple of days while we Youth Hostelled as we were getting behind schedule.  It was a great holiday but we didn't have much time to look at the towns we passed through, though at the end we did get the bus back to St. David's to visit the Cathedral. 

Offline hollins

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 03:58:07 pm »
Well done Blodyn. 12 days is quite an achievement. We have been visiting for the last 3 years doing a bit each time......cheating!
Your wild flower photos are incredible. I have tried all sorts of settings on my camera to do close ups but they have all been a disaster so far.

Today's postcards are from Laugharne castle and the Boathouse which was the home of Dylan Thomas from 1949 to 1953.

Best wishes to anyone who might be looking in on my holiday snaps!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 05:49:02 pm »
Lovely photos Hollins, please keep them coming. Laugharne is on one of the excursions on my coach trip to Tenby soon so I'm looking forward to going there.

Offline hollins

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 06:06:10 pm »
Thanks for your interest Hugo. We are going back home tomorrow.
We thought Laugharne was a delighful place even though we had to look around it with our umbrellas up this morning.
I hope you have better weather when you are there and wish you a good holiday when you go.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 09:59:58 pm »
Doing the Coast Path in stages isn't cheating at all, Hollins.  I'm sure you'll see a lot that we didn't have time for and I'll look forward to seeing your photos of the next stage.   

Thank you for your nice comments about my flower photos - they don't all come out that well, so keep trying. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 01:39:04 pm »
We travelled down by coach to Tenby last Sunday and stayed at the Cliffe Norton Hotel which overlooks the North Beach and Harbour.  It was a wet day on the Sunday but the rest of the week was fine and dry so it made the holiday more enjoyable.  After a leisurely day in Tenby on the Monday, we had a boat trip to Caldy Island on Tuesday and really enjoyed our stay there. It was so tranquil and there is more to see and do that we expected.  The boat trip was good and as it was low water we were transferred from the boat on to a peculiar looking vehicle and taken to the harbour wall to disembark.
It was a great experience and one I'd like to repeat in the future.
On Wednesday we travelled to Laugharne via Pendine Sands and spent some time in Laugharne looking at the Norman Castle and the boathouse where  Dylan Thomas once lived. The trip carried on to Carmarthen for lunch and finally took us to Saundersfoot where we had a short time in this pleasant resort.
Our last day (Thursday) was spent in Tenby walking around this beautiful town and finishing the walk by having an afternoon tea in the lovely Hotel Gilbar that overlooks the South Beach and Caldy Island.   It rained on the Friday but that didn't matter as we were on our way home after enjoying another stay at this lovely resort.