Author Topic: Getting away...  (Read 5335 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Getting away...
« on: February 18, 2012, 08:24:43 am »
Credit card surcharges - ‘rip-off’ card charges - are due to end in 2013. . But some companies have increased or introduced surcharges in a bid to rake in cash while they still can.

"Airlines alone charge customers £300m a year in card surcharges, according to the Office of Fair Trading. This is far too high.

Processing a debit card payment costs around 8p-20p, while credit card payments typically cost around 1.5% to 2% of the transaction value. But a family of four taking a return flight with Aer Lingus or Ryanair, for example, could pay £48 in debit card surcharges – that’s at least 240 times the typical processing cost of a debit card transaction.

The same family spending £2,000 on flights with Jet2 would pay a hefty £147 in surcharges if they paid by credit card.

The surcharge problem has grown worse over the years. Between 2004 and now, Flybe has increased its surcharges by 1,025%, while Ryanair has increased its surcharges by 1,400%. And while British Airways previously didn’t charge for credit card payments, it now charges £4.50 per passenger."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

Re: Getting away...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:10:38 am »
I have just returned from Portugal and had the following exchange rates:

Thomas Cook Llandudno Sterling to Euros rate  116
Exchange Bureau in Portugal 115
Credit Card used for purchases in Portugal 117 (no other charges with Capital One)

The best deal was using my Credit Card!   ZXZ
And one gets "cash back" with Capital One at each year end!   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 12:54:30 pm »
Credit card surcharges - ‘rip-off’ card charges - are due to end in 2013. . But some companies have increased or introduced surcharges in a bid to rake in cash while they still can.

Yes, it is really irritating. Easyjet have introduced a fixed £9 charge no matter how many flights you book.
If you travel a lot it pays to book a few together.
I paid £41.99 + £9 for my single fare  Manchester to Zurich yesterday. Most people including me would be perfectly happy to pay £50.99 but find the add ons annoying.
Flights are so much cheaper now than they were before the easyjet days and the fares are so much more flexible.
Swiss airlines still don't charge any booking or credit card fees.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 10:19:33 am »
Anybody interested in a free ride in a helicopter for 4 people? Looking for 2 more adults to join us. We leave early Saturday morning (Feb 6th) from Yeppoon and will fly to Great Kepple island , where we will have breakfast, then have lunch on a friend’s yacht.
Then we’ll do a flight along the coast, up to Stanage Bay returning to XXXX Island for dinner, then fly back home. If interested, please message me. Preferably someone with a helicopter and yacht, otherwise we can't go.
   8)

Offline SAJ

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 06:38:14 pm »
Happy Valentines Day! It just occurred to me that on this day last year, MOH and I were in Bergen, Norway where we spent a few days. It is a very rainy spot but we particularly enjoyed the trip up Mt Floyen on the funicular railway. In case anyone’s inspired to visit post-restrictions, there's a place near the harbour that serves the best fish and chips!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 11:39:41 am »
What a lovely romantic  thing to do on Valentines Day  Saj and thanks for posting those photos of that lovely city.   

We had a day there in 2006 when we went on a cruise in the Fjords for my retirement and 60th birthday and we loved every minute of it.
We were lucky with the weather as it was in the Summer and 80%.  We were going to go on the funicular but saw the land train by the fish market and opted for the one hour tour instead

What a difference a year makes, last year to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary on Valentine's Day we were staying in a castle, Studley Castle part of the Warner's Group
This year we haven't been anywhere and are isolating and spending Valentine's Day putting up fences to stop our boisterous puppy from wrecking the rest of our garden