Author Topic: The Little Orme  (Read 13639 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
The Little Orme
« on: September 21, 2010, 02:48:51 pm »
A beautiful sunny morning so we thought its about time we walked up the Little Orme to the summit and what a view there is up there

Dead image links removed - DaveR

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 05:03:52 pm by DaveR »
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The Little Orme
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »
I fixed one of your photos which wasn't displaying, the first bit [ of the [IMG] tag was missing.  :)

I've never seen that little WWII outpost before, think I'll have to head up that way with the camera one clear day.  *&(

Offline Paddy

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 06:33:51 pm »
Wow! Fantastic pics Merddyn. what a beautiful place we live in.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:42:16 pm »
I fixed one of your photos which wasn't displaying, the first bit [ of the [IMG] tag was missing.  :)

I've never seen that little WWII outpost before, think I'll have to head up that way with the camera one clear day.  *&(

))* Thanks Dave, someone came to the door while I was posting it and i didn't notice  :)

I should have used that picture in the quizz!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 04:15:05 pm »
I had a short walk from the housing estate in Penrhyn Bay to Angel Bay the other day.  It was a lovely sunny day and the Bay was packed with families clearly making the most of the sunshine.
Last time I was here there were 18 seals on the beach but  they'll probably return to the beach in late September.
The photo is of the remains of the quarry works on the other side of Angel Bay.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 08:51:42 am »
This is a wonderful picture of the Great Orme (not the LIttle Orme, as previously posted) artillery training sites during WWII
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:12:16 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 09:06:25 am »
This shows the main armament at the Coast Artillery School at Llys Helyg. A good photo nonetheless.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 09:44:48 am »
In my school days I was a regular at what we then called Shell Bay. We used to go fishing off the platform where the headland juts out in to the sea to the right of the beach but, particularly if the weather was bad, we used to go inside the quarry buildings which have now vanished along with most of the gun emplacements long gone in to the sea.Erosion there has been severe in the last 50 years and the cliff edge must be 30 metres back in some places where there is nothing but soil to hold back the sea.
It's an interesting place to go, much more compact than the Great Orme and if anything I prefer to wander there with my camera looking for wildlife shots.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 10:02:34 am »
This is a wonderful picture of the Little Orme gun sites during WWII

Is that the Great Orme Ian because I can remember gun sites (minus the guns) on the Great Orme like those and my Uncle Bob used to live in a Nissen hut just around the corner along the track in the top left of the photo?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 10:10:32 am »
This shows the main armament at the Coast Artillery School at Llys Helyg. A good photo nonetheless.

Interesting.  I was told these were of the Little Orme, and the others certainly are, but I also thought these guns looked significantly smaller than the sites I remember on the Little Orme. Must get the others out.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 10:36:16 am »
If the Little Orme could talk, I would be in a lot of trouble.... WWW   those were the days. $good$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 10:47:37 am »
You've been a very naughty boy Steve!       :o     :-[

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 11:56:02 am »
                On the subject of the Little Orme gunsites, does anyone remember back in the 60's or early 70's a corrugated tin shack situated on the north-eastern end of the sites just above the path down into Angel Bay, where a lady used to live and come out and tell you to go away and leave her alone, even if you were just passing? The hut (and the lady) have long gone but I never knew who the lady was or why she was living there.

Offline Dave

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 01:26:14 pm »
                On the subject of the Little Orme gunsites, does anyone remember back in the 60's or early 70's a corrugated tin shack situated on the north-eastern end of the sites just above the path down into Angel Bay, where a lady used to live and come out and tell you to go away and leave her alone, even if you were just passing? The hut (and the lady) have long gone but I never knew who the lady was or why she was living there.

Neither she or the hut were there in the mid to late 60's from what I can recall but there were the remnants of buildings closer to Penrhyn Bay where the area has been cordoned off in recent years as the cliff edge is so unstable.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 02:09:18 pm »
There used to be a complete house there in the late '50s.