Author Topic: Inline Advertising  (Read 29422 times)

Offline martin

Re: Inline Advertising
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2012, 08:40:12 pm »
Post by Sara "I feel the way this is developing you could lose a lot of members"  I couldn't agree more.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2012, 08:48:11 pm »
Have you thought about funding from Llandudno Town Council?

I think the Town Council do have a Community Account out of which grants are made annually to local organisations, clubs, societies etc. so an enquiry to the Town Hall might be worthwhile.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2012, 08:50:35 pm »
Why would google stop the adverts just cos someone clicked on them? I thought that was the idea.

Payment for Google adverts are based on the number of "clicks" registered for each advert.  Some unscrupulous Forum owners will spend lots of time just clicking on adverts just to build up revenue.  Google, quite rightly, only want to pay (and charge their clients) for genuine "clicks" from people who wish to read the adverts.  In this case some foolish person (possibly with a grudge)decided to do it and the Forum lost out.

I hope that answers the question.   ;D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2012, 08:54:54 pm »
Mine have gone----- OMG must be my age ! _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Sara

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2012, 08:56:20 pm »
Thanks Yorkie.

Offline martin

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 09:02:12 pm »
Mine have gone----- OMG must be my age ! _))*
Mine have not, and that's what I am unhappy about, although I have in the last month or so been one of the most prolific contributors to the forum, I fall outside outside the required number of posts to have the advertising crap removed for my posts.  It is just the members of the clique that have sufficient posts to have the ads removed.  I fined that with the green underlined words it make trying to read a post difficult. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 09:03:36 pm »
Post by Sara "I feel the way this is developing you could lose a lot of members"  I couldn't agree more.
So, if I've got this clear... what you're saying is you don't want to contribute towards the running costs of the Forum...but you don't want to see any adverts that would pay for the running costs of the Forum either?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 09:07:35 pm »
Oh Martin-- don't get us wrong, we aren't a clique, it just happens that some of us have been around an awful long time. I was actually the very first member back in Craig Ollerton's day, but don't expect any privileges, I just grumble when I feel it is necessary and enjoy everyone's activities when it isn't.
Yes-- I have met a few members, at a couple of meet ups, but that's where it ends-- It's just nice to put faces to names.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 09:09:17 pm »
Whilst you may be technically correct Dave - one has to remember that YOU started the Forum without any preconditions for contributors and as such much of the present situation falls within your own backyard.   It is now a bit late to start moving the goalposts.

The adverts don't bother me as I never click on them or pass my cursor over the inline ads.   Good luck!

££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 09:11:48 pm »
I'm afraid you're incorrect, Yorkie. This Forum, and the various other ones before it, have always had adverts on them. All I have done is offer the members, following their feedback,  the opportunity to have them removed.

I thought you were on holiday anyway?

Offline martin

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 09:16:48 pm »
So, if I've got this clear... what you're saying is you don't want to contribute towards the running costs of the Forum...but you don't want to see any adverts that would pay for the running costs of the Forum either?
No, what I am saying is that if we must contribute, which is OK with me, it should be on a level playing field where we ALL contribute, and not a system that has been decided on the hoof which favours those who have been members for a long time.  IF we had been given some information BEFORE the adverts and green things appeared, we would not be having this conversation.  It seems that today three of you have come up with different ideas regarding the adverts/green things, it should have been sorted before, not on the live board.   I will be happy to pay whatever it costs, but it should be everyone who pays.  I think whatever route you choose, it will, in the long term result in fewer members on the forum.  Additionally, what is annoying is the fact that in the vast majority of cases the green words appear at random and have little or no relevance to the adverts attached to the link.  Some posts have none, while other posts containing the same words, are riddled with them. 

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 09:21:41 pm »
Annoying though they are I can live with the ads if it helps finance the forum but I also appreciate the efforts of Dave R & Ian as well and wouldn't mind making a small contribution either. Some sites have a Donate button where those willing can contribute anonymously without any pressure being put on those who don't want to. Maybe this would create a happy medium and stop the bickering every time a membership fee is mentioned?
Valar Morghulis

Offline martin

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2012, 09:22:08 pm »
Anyway, I am signing out of here for good, I have enough problems in my life, without this, I came on here to relax and pass a bit of time, and hopefully make a few virtual friends, but it appears to have gone sour. 

Offline martin

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2012, 09:24:35 pm »
Annoying though they are I can live with the ads if it helps finance the forum but I also appreciate the efforts of Dave R & Ian as well and wouldn't mind making a small contribution either. Some sites have a Donate button where those willing can contribute anonymously without any pressure being put on those who don't want to. Maybe this would create a happy medium and stop the bickering every time a membership fee is mentioned?
I agree 100% with the donation button, but I could not be Ar**d mentioning it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2012, 09:50:00 pm »
No, what I am saying is that if we must contribute, which is OK with me, it should be on a level playing field where we ALL contribute, and not a system that has been decided on the hoof which favours those who have been members for a long time.  IF we had been given some information BEFORE the adverts and green things appeared, we would not be having this conversation.  It seems that today three of you have come up with different ideas regarding the adverts/green things, it should have been sorted before, not on the live board.   I will be happy to pay whatever it costs, but it should be everyone who pays.  I think whatever route you choose, it will, in the long term result in fewer members on the forum.  Additionally, what is annoying is the fact that in the vast majority of cases the green words appear at random and have little or no relevance to the adverts attached to the link.  Some posts have none, while other posts containing the same words, are riddled with them.
But I'm afraid 99% of our 550+ membership will never contribute financially. That's a fact. Craig Ollerton used to have a PayPal Donate button on here back in the 'Llandudno Local' days - he told me that he never received a single donation through it...

I'm a member of many Forums but don't pay to be a member of any of them. Most of them have adverts, including inline ones. To be honest, I don't even notice they are there. I think most people realise that viewing adverts is a valid substitute for any sort of membership fee. All websites have domain and hosting costs that must be paid for, one way or the other.

Anyone can become 'ad free' by contributing on a regular basis - it really doesn't take that long. The people who already have 250+ posts are the ones that we must thank for this Forum being here at all - they were here at the start and helped to build it up. They've earned it, in my opinion...and anyone can join their ranks. It's not a closed shop!

So..to summarise...members can opt to view the adverts, contribute £5 to have them removed early or contribute to the Forum by means of regular posting and have them removed that way.