Author Topic: System Announcements  (Read 147015 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: System Announcements
« Reply #315 on: December 07, 2018, 03:22:25 pm »
Yes, credit where credits due.   I look forward to reading Steve's postings as they bring me up to date with local events that I might otherwise have missed.
I enjoy reading other contributions he makes and in particular when I do a quiz question because I know that Steve will put a lot of effort into finding the answer as not every question is easy      ;D

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #316 on: December 07, 2018, 04:15:32 pm »
Thank you Ian, very much appreciated, and thank you to, hugo, although your quizzes drive me crazy, I look forward to the challenge. ;)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: March 20, 2019, 07:05:40 pm »
I've reinstated the smiley sets that have been missing for so long. Please let me know if there are any problems.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #318 on: March 20, 2019, 07:17:22 pm »
I've reinstated the smiley sets that have been missing for so long. Please let me know if there are any problems.

$3towns$     &well&     $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: March 19, 2020, 09:47:05 am »
One thing that's emerging at the moment is just how valuable forums like this one can be, during a unique time in the UK. It allows for us all to stay in touch with one another, chatter freely and exchange information.

Social media gets slated a great deal, often rightly so, but in more than twenty years of using various types I believe this forum has to be one of the most grounded, most sensible and sanest forums around. And that's down to all of you–the members, for keeping it that way. Thanks.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #320 on: March 19, 2020, 11:07:06 am »
Well said and please carry on

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #321 on: March 19, 2020, 12:27:18 pm »
To think I’m regarded amongst the most grounded and sanest around has bucked me up no end.   $thanx$
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #322 on: March 19, 2020, 12:49:10 pm »
Ian, if the ground rules are clearly laid out ,followed and "administered" properly, then it should come as no surprise when its successful. Thank you so very much for all the effort you have put in over the years. It's greatly appreciated. &well&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #323 on: March 19, 2020, 03:56:14 pm »
The one quality this forum and our members has is integrity which social media often sadly lacks.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #324 on: March 19, 2020, 06:28:35 pm »
I think it's also important to add the the forum has become a real team, with some taking on roles in the History and Genealogy topics, the News Editor and of course the continuous flow of useful local information. There are, for instance, 97 people online at the moment.  So a lot of folk reading everything that's posted.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: April 09, 2020, 11:06:28 am »
We're seeing a steady flow of new member applications at the moment so I'd just like to take a moment and welcome all the new members who've joined recently onto the forum. We've made it difficult to get on, as there are questions which do demand a fair bit of local knowledge, but that was necessary as we had a minor invasion of Russian spammers some while back. So welcome aboard and please don't feel nervous about contributing.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #326 on: April 09, 2020, 03:24:43 pm »
Welcome all the newbies. I was one of the very original members back in C.O.'s time and, although I have never met most people it is nice to exchange opinions with everyone. Hope some new people will have some great contributions to make. Cheers all and stay safe.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: May 05, 2020, 10:58:22 am »
We've had 14 member applications which are mainly from Russia and similar places.  So for the moment I've disabled new member registrations. If you know of anyone who wants to become a member, please PM me and I'll arrange to register them.  Thanks.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: June 11, 2020, 04:26:09 pm »
I've installed a new modification for those who enjoy quizzes and riddles...

It's the spoiler tag [smg id=4134] which appears when you compose a post and, as you can see it's directly beneath the B button on the line of buttons that appears above when you create your post.

It works like this: If you're answering a quiz question but don't want to spoil it for others, then mouse-over / select the answer and click the spoiler tag.

For example, to hide "Fred"  I simply double click "[spoiler]Fred[/spoiler]" and click the tag.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #329 on: October 21, 2021, 08:03:48 pm »
Our hosting service is doing major updates and servicing at the moment, which is why service is extremely slow. Sorry about that.