Author Topic: System Announcements  (Read 147241 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: System Announcements
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 11:59:39 am »
I've been doing some more tidying up, so you may have to click through on the 'Show unread posts" button to see what's been moved or merged.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

brumbob

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 12:28:33 pm »
Noooooooo  :o :laugh:

Offline Trojan

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 04:56:30 pm »

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 07:26:58 am »
Can I remind everyone that personal details of forum members are not to be posted in here, unless the member themself chooses to do it.  This particularly applies to places of work, home addresses, telephones and surnames.  I appreciate some folk may think it's acceptable but it isn't, under any circumstances.

With a forum like this, where some members are beginning to meet each other and learn some details about folk, it can become too easy to assume,  firstly, that everyone knows these details already and - secondly - to forget that this forum can be read by anyone with a computer anywhere in the world.

To recap:  despite the fact that you -as an individual - may be aware of it, never publish the following about any member of the forum:

Surname
Place of work
Home address
Telephone number
[/size]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:09:26 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

brumbob

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 04:44:34 pm »
That's good advice, use the PM system if you really need to exchange personal details.

brumbob

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 06:11:30 pm »
Ian, is it possible to hide members email address's in their profiles by default, I notice many members haven't clicked on the option to hide it.

Offline Jack

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 07:09:48 pm »
Ian, is it possible to hide members email address's in their profiles by default, I notice many members haven't clicked on the option to hide it.

I have tried to hide my email address many times but the system for some reason won't let me.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 07:13:32 pm »
This question pops up a lot. When you tick the box, it does hide your email address to other people but you, of course, can still see it!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 07:14:00 pm »
BB:  I'll see if that can be done.. It's a good idea.

Jack: You can always see it, even if you have opted to have it hidden  It's only others who can't.

Ah - Dave posted almost simultaneously :-)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 07:16:38 pm »
I can change it so that the box to hide the email address is ticked by default but it involves rewriting part of the registration process.  :o

Yorkie

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 07:18:59 pm »
If it ain't broke - don't try fixing it!   D)

brumbob

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 07:26:24 pm »
I have tried to hide my email address many times but the system for some reason won't let me.
Don't worry Jack, your email address is hidden to me  :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 07:52:16 pm »
I can change it so that the box to hide the email address is ticked by default but it involves rewriting part of the registration process.  :o
It's done.  8) Now...how to get all the existing members' email addresses hidden...?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 07:57:23 pm »
OK, I've successfully rewritten the Profile and Memberlist display functions so that no email addresses are visible, apart from the person whose profile it is and us Admins.

$3towns$
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:44:24 pm by DaveR »

brumbob

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 11:11:18 pm »
Well done Dave  $good$