Author Topic: College school, Colwyn Bay war time  (Read 11830 times)

Offline plas penmon

College school, Colwyn Bay war time
« on: January 26, 2012, 03:07:31 pm »
Does anyone know anything about College school, Colwyn Bay or anyone who went there?
My father went there but i believe it closed down around 1944? Any people still around?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: College school, Colwyn Bay war time
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 05:24:30 pm »
Hmmm..which one was this, do you have an address?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:58:32 pm »
There was I believe a place called "The Normal College", possibly up around the Seafield Road area.    There was also a Wireless College, St Mary's College and a few others!  Take your pick!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:59:17 pm »
The Wireless College and St Marys College both closed much later than 1944.

Offline plas penmon

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 11:30:07 am »
More info from the horses mouth! Dad said the school was on Colwyn Bay promenade on the opposite corner from the Colwyn Bay Hotel. A Dr. Davies ran it with his wife, she was the english teacher. They had a son and daughter who also did something there, but the son went off to war and that's when in fell apart.  The kids used to go to a small shop they called the tuck shop at breaktime for sweets which was next door but one. Dad has a photograph of him in a whole school photograph so i will scan it and upload!  He can remember being in school with Dr. Macdonald-Brown's son, they were from Rhos I think? I wonder where the others who went there are now?

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 01:09:32 pm »
Can your father not remember the name of the college/school he went to?

Offline plas penmon

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 05:11:10 pm »
It was called College School! It was a private school.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 09:56:40 pm »
That rings a very faint bell, I believe it was either in the building that is now the Toad Pub or the hotel to the left of the Toad that was demolished to build flats a few years ago.

Toad by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Offline plas penmon

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 09:20:21 pm »
Well, Dad thinks it might be the one! Going to look at a big pile of photographs next week and see what i can upload!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 07:40:11 am »
I think it was in the toad building, the building to the right of  the toad was the balmoral hotel and to the left st enochs (this name used to raise some eyebrows. And I remember Doctor Macdonald Brown. I don't remember a son, but I remember a daughter around my age called, I think, Janet. They lived and had the doctors surgery in the house on the left hand side going up Rhos Road between Mauldeth road and woodlands avenue. Mre recently some type of local head office for midland bank, nowhsbc.
He was, for a time, my Doctor, but I didn't like him, too stern Mike

Offline Hans Wins

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 08:45:15 am »
I attended College School till it closed down in 1944. Dr.Herbert Davies and his wife ran it. Also their daughter, Nessie, taught there. They had a son who was an army chaplain. The school closed down because they were just getting too old. I still have 2 group photograhps. If anybody is interested please let me know.
I also remember Wireless College because the 2nd.Colwyn-Bay Boy Scouts Troop, of which I was a member, held their 'Gang Show' in their hall. Anybody else has any memories of those years?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 08:50:26 pm »
Yes, of corse, Hans, Ive got virtually all my memory in those years. Oh, excuse me, I am trying to remember what I did this morning!!!!
   But I thought, in fact I was sure, you were a Colwyn Bay County School boy. Did you change to the County School when the College School closed? Mike

Offline Hans Wins

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 10:10:51 pm »
Pleased to find some one who remembers! At the closing of College School I went to Colwyn-Bay Secondary School on the Dingle at Eiris Park, shortly after that it became Grammar School and now High School. About three years ago I visited the school together with an old classmate. It certainly brings back old memories.

Offline Hans Wins

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 04:24:17 pm »
You know, Ormegolf, you may be right. On delving into my memory I seem to recall that I was indeed in the County School for a very short time, however, it could have been after the closing of College School and prior to going to Secondary School on Dingle Hill. We are talking about 70 odd years ago!

Offline Hans Wins

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 10:07:08 pm »
On second thought, Ormegolf, I think it was Central School not County School. But, as I wrote before, it is some 70 years ago so I may be wrong ?