Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 385977 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #795 on: February 06, 2017, 02:19:26 pm »
It's...a little odd. Normally, pier collapses only happen during periods of storm, when exceptional pressure is placed on a weakened structure by the high tides. This collapse happened on a quiet day, when there was barely a wave on the sea. You can see in the photos how thick those piles are.

I'm not saying there was any dodgy activity, but its certainly very unusual.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #796 on: February 06, 2017, 03:23:29 pm »
Do we know of an engineer who could make an assessment?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #797 on: February 06, 2017, 03:27:39 pm »
Yes Ian, Datrey's report from about 5 years ago.
Most of the crossbeams on that pier were sound, and ALL of the piles.
So, I maintain that interference has taken place.  (If I was forced to tick a box that is)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #798 on: February 06, 2017, 03:48:19 pm »
I really meant an engineer who could look at the suspiciously straight edges on the severed supports and confirm or deny it was deliberate.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #799 on: February 06, 2017, 03:49:51 pm »
Would a council worker follow orders from above to sabotage the pier..... ?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #800 on: February 06, 2017, 04:19:58 pm »
I would doubt it, but when councillors in Wales seem to behave as they wish and ignore Council tax bills, or shine lasers into pilots' eyes, it does make you wonder if there's much they wouldn't do...

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #801 on: February 06, 2017, 04:36:47 pm »
It was probably one of the pigs landing on the Pier that CCBC also believe fly around the area that caused it to collapse.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #802 on: February 06, 2017, 05:29:50 pm »
It was probably one of the pigs landing on the Pier that CCBC also believe fly around the area that caused it to collapse.

I've told you, it was Elvis.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline spotty dog

• Management board member
« Reply #803 on: February 06, 2017, 05:53:32 pm »
Before we all get carried away the photo shows a stanchion SOCKET that the upper station sits in, this is a cast iron part so is brittle while the stanchion is in column is immensely strong ,but if the upper deck fractured and pulled it out of column it would snap leaving the jagged edge down the side and the flat top of the socket as shown

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #804 on: February 06, 2017, 07:06:26 pm »
Before we all get carried away the photo shows a stanchion SOCKET that the upper station sits in, this is a cast iron part so is brittle while the stanchion is in column is immensely strong ,but if the upper deck fractured and pulled it out of column it would snap leaving the jagged edge down the side and the flat top of the socket as shown

Are you an engineer then Spotty Dog?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #805 on: February 06, 2017, 08:23:06 pm »

Are you an engineer then Spotty Dog?

I have 32 years in engineering Fester, thats why I came up with a reasonable hypothesis for what has happened where as those without such knowledge usually come up with conspiracy theories.
PS. Elvis has left the building.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #806 on: February 07, 2017, 10:39:44 am »
No wonder they've cut the bin collections back. Must have cost them a fortune to pioneer that invisable cutting machine  :roll:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #807 on: February 07, 2017, 05:12:24 pm »

I've told you, it was Elvis.

I don't think that it was Elvis because I saw him on the beach in Old Colwyn and spoke to him a few days ago and can confirm that he is alive and well. 
With regard to the stanchions on the pier then I can appreciate the expert advice of the engineers and the explanation given as to how and why the stanchions have been fractured in such a way.
On the other side with three stanchions being fractured in exactly the same place and in the same manner and a fourth at an angle and nothing having happened similarly in over a 100 years it is understandable how people without the engineering expertise could jump to that conclusion.
Sadly there will be no winners in this incident whoever is right about the reason for the pier collapsing

PS    Elvis is a big fluffy bouncy Old English Sheepdog!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #808 on: February 07, 2017, 05:25:54 pm »
Have we actually had any expert advice, though?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #809 on: February 07, 2017, 05:45:47 pm »
Well we have had opinions from people with an engineering background but it needs an engineer to have a close inspection of the stanchions.
I had a look again today and took this photo of the third broken stanchion but it is just like the others apart from the fact that most of the stanchion has not been removed