Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 386300 times)

Offline stymaster

Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #630 on: November 05, 2014, 01:23:04 pm »

No successful Pier has an admission charge, the key is to have free admission, with a range of revenue generating facilities and attractions to provide the cash needed to fund ongoing maintenance.

Weston-super-Mare does, but it has attracted criticism.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g191282-d212968-Reviews-Grand_Pier-Weston_super_Mare_Somerset_England.html

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #631 on: November 06, 2014, 11:52:46 am »
BMD,  ...Your  words..."the potential of the pier to restore the town."    Perfect wording this is not about saving the pier, it is about saving Colwyn Bay.....I have said before it is no longer a holiday resort, but the potential to draw short term visitors and day trippers is right there, to build on whats been done already.
Without tourism what else is going to bring money to the town?

I have just had a look at Colwyn Bay "things to do" on Tripadvisor, and there is not a great deal to encourage visitor numbers.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g551979-Activities-Colwyn_Bay_Conwy_County_North_Wales_Wales.html

Check out the comments

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #632 on: November 06, 2014, 12:06:24 pm »
"Colwyn Bay has a pretty dire pub culture.Only Weatherspoons is any good.The Royal is a grim place,daylong drinkers who seem to consume booze and in the pub porch smoke cigs seem to be the customer base in the day.Night is no better.Arguing drunk couples.Its a terrible hole."

but to be fair to the place

"drinkers who seem to consume booze"

:o WHAT! Consume booze, in a PUB - NEVER!! Z**

What a numpty

Offline SteveH

« Reply #633 on: November 06, 2014, 04:43:39 pm »
"In 2012, there were 9.6 million overnight trips to Wales by GB residents.  The associated spend was £1,588 million
62% of GB visitors to Wales came for a holiday, 25% to visit friends or relatives and 13% on business"

"The Great Britain Day Visits survey indicates that around 100 million day visits are made to destinations in Wales annually with expenditure amounting to over £3 billion."

"The exceptional performance of the UK tourism industry has been
highlighted by the ONS recently reporting that tourism businesses had
provided almost a third of all additional jobs created in the UK economy
between 2010 and 2013. Research by VisitBritain concludes that this
growth means that tourism-related employment now accounts for 3.1m
jobs in the UK – this is almost 10% of the entire UK workforce." 

The need for more all weather attractions...   

Offline SteveH

« Reply #634 on: November 08, 2014, 02:04:39 pm »
I am not sure if this affects the pier, needs reading by someone who understands government speak....(Admin please move or delete as appropriate)

COMMUNITY POLICY SHELVED: A policy which could make it easier for community groups in Wales to take over facilities like swimming pools and pubs when they are put up for sale has been abandoned by ministers.
Community assets in England must all be kept on a list by councils who give local groups first refusal if they are sold.
But ministers want to develop an approach "better suited" to Wales.
Critics say they cannot understand the decision.
Under the Localism Act, councils in England keep a register of "assets of community value".
These could include libraries, playing fields and shops.
If they come up for sale, community groups or parish councils are given a six month window to put together a bid to buy them on behalf of local people.
The Welsh government's communities minister had been considering enacting the legislation in Wales but last month she decided against the idea because she wants to spend time developing "an approach which is better suited to the Welsh context".

http://wales.gov.uk/about/cabinet/cabinetstatements/2014/assetsofcommunityvalue/?lang=en

Offline SteveH

« Reply #635 on: November 10, 2014, 07:13:40 pm »
COLWYN VICTORIA PIER TRUST

Members of the above were in Colwyn Bay shopping centre today, raising signatures to save the pier and putting forward some ideas for its future....Health and fitness theme in partnership with Llandrillo College, with related concession stalls...serious of tracks for walking, cycling,running and hurdles..a massive acrylic mirror/projector for special events....high impact low energy LED lights....evening entertainment such as Roller Discos,Zero to Hero nights, fashion shows and circus events etc.
A very positive group, with confidence that they will succeed. I wish them  ££$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #636 on: November 11, 2014, 09:09:58 am »
I'm sure everyone on the Forum wishes them the best of luck with seeing the Pier restored.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #637 on: November 11, 2014, 09:42:18 am »
What's interested me is that out of the 32 members to vote only just over half think the entire pier should be renovated.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #638 on: November 11, 2014, 10:11:00 am »
What's interested me is that out of the 32 members to vote only just over half think the entire pier should be renovated.
...but a clear majority of 65% think that the pier should be renovated in some form, with at least £5m being spent.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #639 on: November 11, 2014, 11:54:57 am »
...but a clear majority of 65% think that the pier should be renovated in some form, with at least £5m being spent.
I should have pointed out that CVPT are quoting estimates of " £6.3m to restore both pier and pavilion structure with private investment for the interior fit out as a cafe/restaurant, creative workspace and public art platform based on the fun palace ideas of Joan Littlewood."..
http://www.theguardian.com/stage/joan-littlewood
"Health and fitness theme in partnership with Llandrillo College offering wide range of training and qualifications for the local young people and those wanting to retrain in later life"

I sat in Colwyn Bay yesterday thinking about our discussions on the forums three CB threads and concluded, it all comes down to "footfall", every town in the UK is talking about regeneration, organizing Town Teams and BIDs all with the aim of increasing footfall, and taking every opportunity to do so,..... every opportunity.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #640 on: November 11, 2014, 12:51:01 pm »
I should have pointed out that CVPT are quoting estimates of " £6.3m to restore both pier and pavilion structure with private investment for the interior fit out as a cafe/restaurant, creative workspace and public art platform based on the fun palace ideas of Joan Littlewood."..
http://www.theguardian.com/stage/joan-littlewood
That sounds like a far more realistic figure than the 'pie in the sky' figure of £15m that appeared out of nowhere last year.

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #641 on: November 11, 2014, 02:41:37 pm »
I'm sure everyone on the Forum wishes them the best of luck with seeing the Pier restored.  $good$

Please don't include me in your 'everybody'.

Offline BMD

« Reply #642 on: November 11, 2014, 03:09:29 pm »
I should have pointed out that CVPT are quoting estimates of " £6.3m to restore both pier and pavilion structure with private investment for the interior fit out."..

That's interesting. Do you a link for that, Steve (I couldn't find it at the Guardian Joan Littlewood link you provided)?

It certainly does sound more realistic than the £15m scare-figure, and more in keeping with some of the other estimates I've seen:

The original estimates cited by the council in 2010 were:

♦ Demolition of pier: £1.2m
♦ Rebuilding the basic pier (as a “boardwalk”):  £3.5m
♦ Rebuilding pier + “basic pavilion”: £5.5m

New figures were cited for the demolition vote (Dec 2013):

♦ Demolition: £1m
♦ Basic “boardwalk” pier refurbishment: £3.7m
♦ Pier refurbishment + new kiosks: £4.1m
♦ Pier + main pavilion refurbishment:  £8.9m
♦ Pier refurbishment + new build (as per HLF bid): £11.5m

These figures are from: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/62501/response/160207/attach/html/9/Minutes%207%20Oct%20and%202%20Dec%202010.pdf.html and http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/Published/C00000207/M00003683/$$Supp9759dDocPackPublic.pdf

The £15m figure, incidentally, was arrived at by adding a seemingly arbitrary £4m (approx) for "contingency and possible inflation" to the already (to my mind) inflated £11.5m figure.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #643 on: November 11, 2014, 05:37:22 pm »
Hi BMD,  Sorry no link, figures from CVPT info sheet, their breakdown of the £6.3m is £2.5m for the pier structure and £3.8m for the Pavilion restoration to include  cafe/restaurant, creative workspace and public art platform.
There was a hint of a private investor for the pier entrance structure? approx £1m.
The Ravilious and Adshead murals .....could be to far gone to be rescued?.

They are currently finalising a new Heritage Lottery fund bid with a deadline of 30th nov.2014

Engineers report....Columns generally in good condition no worse than any pier in the country....."On the whole demolition would be a waste of a pier, and a loss of great significance "

You can contact them on Email, details on the photo above.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #644 on: November 11, 2014, 08:04:59 pm »
Phoo-- I can't see anyone getting permission to open a restaurant so near to Porth Erias!!!! :-X
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.