Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 386132 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #270 on: July 23, 2011, 11:08:47 pm »
If CCBC gain control, then the future should start looking far brighter for the pier.

Offline poppy

« Reply #271 on: July 23, 2011, 11:49:13 pm »
Wasn't the deadline date last week?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: July 24, 2011, 08:11:47 am »
I believe the deadline can be extended for several months if a sale is in process.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #273 on: August 19, 2011, 05:15:03 pm »
Confusion surrounds who now owns the grade II-listed historic pier in Colwyn Bay.

It has been closed since its owner was made bankrupt in July 2008, and it came under the control of a trustee in bankruptcy.

The trustee has now formally given up any interest in the pier because its condition is getting worse.

The pier's former owner, Steve Hunt, said he believed the pier should now come back to him.

Victoria Pier was opened in June 1900, and over the years has hosted performances from artists as diverse as Morecambe and Wise, Harry Secombe and Elvis Costello.

But very little maintenance has been done in the last three years since Mr Hunt was made bankrupt in a dispute with Conwy council over unpaid business rates and council tax.

On 4 August 2011, a panel of the decking broke off and fell onto the promenade.

The council warned in a letter the next day that other sections of the pier needed to be inspected urgently, and that dangerous decking and railings had to be removed.

Solicitors for the trustee in bankruptcy say this means he has disclaimed the pier, a technical term for giving up any interest or control over the structure.
'Potential risk'

In a letter, seen by BBC Wales News, the solicitors say: "It has come to the attention of our client that part of the structure of the pier has collapsed, and fallen on a public thoroughfare.

"Obviously this has raised concerns of the potential risk to the public. The bankruptcy estate is not in funds, and so [there is no money available for] repairs to the pier.

"Our client, as trustee in bankruptcy, is mindful of the fact that he is potentially personally liable in circumstances where, for example, any individual is injured as a result of any structural defect in the pier.

"Having undertaken a risk analysis he has taken the decision to disclaim his interest in the pier pursuant to section 315 of the Insolvency Act 1986."

Mr Hunt said the trustees' solicitors had told him that the pier would now pass to the UK government's Treasury solicitor under a system known as bona vacantia.

He said: "The ownership needs to be resolved urgently. I'm talking to my solicitors to work out the legal position.

"I'd be happy to have the pier back because everyone just wants to see it restored. There's money potentially available in grants, but we need to move fast to get it. If it does come back to me I'd be committed to seeing the restoration take place."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-14583358

I seem to recall this is the same guy who said a couple of months ago it was pointless the Pier Pressure Group applying for grants, as there was no money available?

"...Mr Hunt doubts even that would get public grants, in tough economic times: "It will not happen for the technical reason that the pier would cost more to restore than it will be worth when it’s finished. All public money has to be justified especially in this day and age of cuts. Why don’t the council buy it if they say there’s public money from the National Lottery and Welsh Assembly Government? The simple answer is ‘It’s not there.’ "
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/01/24/colwyn-bay-regeneration-must-include-historic-pier-55578-28043696/

???

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2011, 10:46:43 am »
The former owner, Steve Hunt, imagines that he is going to recoup the £1,000,000 that he says he has spent on the pier.  :laugh:

"Mr Hunt hopes to sell or lease the pier to Conwy CB Council. It could then lease it to a charity, which could apply for Lottery cash. Mr Hunt added: “I have invested £1m in the pier. “I aim to get that back, not necessarily in one lump. I ain’t giving up.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/08/20/colwyn-bay-s-victoria-pier-s-future-plunged-into-fresh-doubt-55578-29270172/

I see he's changed his tune about CCBC now he thinks he can get some money out of them!

Personally, I (sadly) now think it's all over for the Pier. The latest delays and continuing deterioration are the final straw. Time for demolition, I think.  :(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:00:37 pm by DaveR »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #276 on: August 20, 2011, 07:57:35 pm »
The walkway under the front section of the Pier has been fenced off now, since a section fell off:

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #277 on: August 20, 2011, 09:00:41 pm »
Dave, you say "sadly."  I'm sad for you. You have tried long and hard to revive this pier.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #278 on: August 20, 2011, 09:28:27 pm »
It is about time that some one got hold of an acelylene spanner and chopped its legs off.  The whole caboodle ain't worth saving, it would be cheaper and more economical over time to build a new one.  It will constantly be in need of expensive maintenance.

It was nice while it lasted but it now deserves a decent burial, R.I.P.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2011, 10:33:14 pm »
I fail to see what has changed in the last 2 months.
Since the initial wave of optimism that CCBC had done a deal, safeguarding the Pier, and then leasing it to the organisation who would set about restoring it.
Steve Hunt was an irritation, but surely can be swept aside as he is now obviously acting in his own spurious interest and not the Pier or the town.
Mr Hunt claims to love the Pier, but if it DOES get demolished, then HE will be directly responsible now.

Steve Hunt, please think well on these words, and if you love Colwyn Bay Pier, step aside.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline dwsi

« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2011, 01:03:23 pm »
Talks underway to resolve future of Colwyn Bay pier - Daily Post North Wales
http://bit.ly/nH0hTm

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2011, 12:27:59 am »
This has to be viewed as good news Dwsi.
If prominent politicians have moved so swiftly to challenge the stagnation of ownership, then they are obviously intent on getting the restoration plan back on track.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2011, 08:35:14 pm »
There is a guy on Twitter that claims Steve Hunt is trying to get £400,000 from CCBC in order to give them a long lease on the Pier.
https://twitter.com/#!/playasomo

That's crazy if it is true. It's worth absolutely nothing now and was worth little more when it was open.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: September 04, 2011, 07:10:42 pm »
The Pier may need to be classified a Local Nature Reserve at this rate!

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #284 on: September 04, 2011, 09:02:10 pm »
Do you reckon those beer canisters are empty?