Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 386351 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2011, 09:01:36 am »
"Yesterday Conwy’s cabinet met behind closed doors and opted to begin talks with Salford-based RPG to buy the pier.

If successful, Conwy would then seek full council backing to get Welsh Assembly help to acquire the freehold. The cost is understood to be around £35,000.

Conwy also voted to seek full council backing to open talks with Shore Thing pressure group so it could look after the pier under a lease. The council and Shore Thing would then apply for grants for restoration work."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/05/25/council-moves-to-take-over-colwyn-bay-pier-55578-28758356/

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2011, 09:41:20 am »
In a nutshell then, the ownership can change hands very easily and cheaply. (and so it should)

But, that then only starts a process of seeking funding to begin a restoration.

Hmmm, I reckon that a lot of time will pass before any tangible improvements will be seen.

I can't see anything ''imminent'' happening, as Dave and I were personally assured it would be, in October LAST year!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2011, 11:55:15 am »
BBC News last night said it would take four million to make it right.  So pull it down if the council can't afford essential serviceds it certainly can't afford this

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2011, 12:35:49 pm »
It is of course ironic that millions of pounds are at this moment being spent just yards to the East of the pier. Pity a magic wand could not be waved and a few million move westwards

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2011, 12:40:35 pm »
BBC News last night said it would take four million to make it right.  So pull it down if the council can't afford essential serviceds it certainly can't afford this
The Council isn't paying for the repairs, it would be up to the Pier Group to apply for funding. But, if action isn't taken, CCBC would be liable for the cost of demolition, which is £1m+.

Offline SCMP

« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2011, 07:04:41 pm »
Steve Hunt's latest email:

"A quick update on the latest news from Victoria Pier, Colwyn Bay...

Surprise surprise, the Council has this morning gone back on everything they said at the recent meeting between us which was hosted by David Jones, MP, and are still trying to do some back-hand deal with RPG (the Insolvency Practitioners who are supposed to be looking after the pier), to buy the pier and 'cut me out' altogether. Not a terribly wise move - but hey, it is YOUR money they are wasting to desperately try and cover up their tangled web of crimes and corruption, not their own.

I love this I really do! The council had a meeting with him at the end of April do discuss options. One option involving Steve Hunt was for RPG to give the pier back to him as a 'silent owner' or something and the council would lease it off him somehow... a few days later he goes to the papers and says he is going to sue the council for £2million or whatever it was! Me thinks thats why the council are unwilling to work with him now!

SCMP

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2011, 07:52:06 pm »
I noticed today that CCBC have erected fencing on the beach at either side of the Pier, along with notices warning people to keep out. The walkway/cycle track that passes under the pier building has also been closed off. CCBC staff were ordering anyone who walked by the pier to leave the area.

Danger by davidrobertsphotography, on Flickr

Offline Trojan

« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2011, 08:05:24 pm »
Are they paying staff to stand there 24 hours a day?  ???

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2011, 08:16:54 pm »
Are they paying staff to stand there 24 hours a day?  ???
I think its just the Seaboard Inspector who keeps an eye on the Waterskiers, so probably only daylight hours. I walked right under the end of the pier to take some photos and they didn't say anything to me but they stopped two lads on the beach nearer the Prom and told them to leave.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2011, 10:38:24 pm »
Sorry to be a pessimist, but I expect that the pier will now be like this OR WORSE, for some YEARS to come...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2011, 08:13:32 am »
Email received from Steve Hunt today:

Good Morning!

Today is the second day of my HUNGER STRIKE for Justice at Victoria Pier, Colwyn Bay.

Hopefully there will be some coverage today on BBC Wales TV and Radio news, as well as the Daily Post newspaper, and possibly a national paper or two might have picked up the story too.

My Hunger Strike is calling on David Jones, MP & Minister for Wales, to launch a full inquiry into the disgusting and illegal way CCBC have treated me over the past few years, to bring those Council Officers who have committed offences to justice, and in particular to discover why all those bodies which are supposed to regulate, investigate and the control the Local Authority, flatly refuse to do so.
Until such an OPEN, TRANSPARENT investigation is launched, then I will continue my Hunger Strike in order to draw attention to this utterly appalling case of corruption, and the personal vendetta against me, by certain officers of CCBC.
Just to refresh you memory, In July 2008, officers of Conwy County Borough Council successfully bankrupted me after they:
* falsified Council Tax / Business Rates accounts
* accused me of owing money to CCBC which they absolutely knew I did not
* refused to correct knowingly falsified and incorrect accounts
* fraudulently hid money that CCBC in fact owed ME in overpaid Council Tax
* committed Perjury by submitting knowingly false statements to the Court
* instructed their external solicitors (DWF of Manchester) indirectly to lie to the Judge in Court
* illegally refused access to any documents/files/records pre-litigation - resulting in a completely unfair and unjust Court trial, which the Court should never have allowed to continue in any case
All sounds too far-fetched to be true I know, that is half the problem in getting it investigated, but all of the above points are PROVEN in the councils own documents, published on the pier website.

Please follow my progress and spread the word on twitter - you can get instant updates to your mobile phone as things happen:  www.twitter.com/victoriapier

Regards

Steve Hunt
www.victoriapier.com

Offline poppy

« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2011, 10:42:08 am »
Psychiatric assessment required methinks! ???

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2011, 11:16:30 am »

I actually feel for the guy without doubt I think the majority of his gripes and allegations will turn out to be true.  I think a hunger strike is a step too far though if I'm honest.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2011, 11:36:19 am »
I found him a very obstinate character who was only interested in doing things his own way and would not listen to other people. If you have pots of cash, then that attitude is fine but when you don't...

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2011, 11:40:41 am »
I don't know the guy Dave, I am however inclined to believe his allegations of corruption whatever his personal demeanor.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley