Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 264747 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #975 on: July 15, 2021, 02:37:17 pm »
What will be its main use?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #976 on: July 15, 2021, 03:30:27 pm »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What will be its main use?

It could come in handy sometimes !  !   Developers, badly parked cars etc.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #977 on: July 15, 2021, 07:34:55 pm »
I drove along Colwyn Bay promenade late this afternoon and it was just like a busy August Bank Holiday with hundreds of people enjoying the warm sunshine.
I had a glimpse at the pier as I drove past and what they have done looked good and there were a number of people on it also.

I remember fishing off the pier when I was in my teens but nowadays you would have to cast about 200 yards before you got into the water.
Still it could be useful for the Welsh football team if they wanted to practice taking penalties as it's about the same size area as a penalty box

Offline SteveH

« Reply #978 on: August 11, 2021, 02:53:05 pm »
A deeper dive with the architects behind Colwyn Bay's Victoria Pier, an interesting insight into the project..........

RESIDENTS and visitors now have a new public amenity on the seaside, but how exactly was the new 132ft truncated pier reconstructed and what did it take to re-construct?

Following a comprehensive three year project, Donald Insall Associates, one of the UK’s leading conservation architects, have completed work on Colwyn Bay’s historic Grade II listed pier.

The pier has had a 121 year turbulent history. Three pier complexes have been built and destroyed three times by fire and, eventually, the elements.

cont You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #979 on: August 11, 2021, 07:08:34 pm »
It seems odd to me. The entire point of a long pier was to allow people to walk out above the sea. This structure is going to be out of the  water for lengthy periods each day. Still, if the climate report is accurate, by 2100 there'll be more than enough water around.
“Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.”   ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline temperancellandudno

« Reply #980 on: August 11, 2021, 11:45:09 pm »
Well, in shortened form it will be less likely to be damaged by waves and indeed, if there is sea level rise. It seems a good compromise to me - so few piers left, and at least it has kept some of the listed elements.

Just my humble opinion!

TL