Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 385940 times)

Offline Dave

Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #945 on: June 04, 2018, 11:57:35 am »
Drove along the prom from the Old Colwyn end and I have to say the Bay looked vibrant in the sun yesterday. Lovely view over to Rhos now the pier has gone, lots of people enjoying the sandy beach. Will be even better soon when the last remnants of the pier have been removed.
It was noticeable that despite it being in the middle of the day there wasn't a sign of anyone using the water sports facilities which look like they are a white elephant to me and like the whole building just another burden on the council tax bill.
I also see they are about to spend another £1m on Bangor Pier, seems like only yesterday it was fully renovated.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #946 on: September 26, 2018, 11:43:14 am »
100-year-old murals from Colwyn Bay Pier in a race against the clock to find new home.   ref Pioneer

The Colwyn Victoria Pier Trust have been working closely with Mt Davies in trying to find somewhere safe to continue to store the murals, but had still had no luck.

Trust chairperson, Mark Roberts, said: "We are saddened that we haven't found anywhere to store it yet.
"Time is getting short."

Mr Roberts said it wasn't just about storing the murals but restoring them as well.
He said: "Huw Davies and the council have been actively trying to find somewhere for the murals to be kept as have we.

"But they will also need to be cleaned up and restored which is going to be very costly."
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/16903868.100-year-old-murals-from-colwyn-bay-pier-in-a-race-against-the-clock-to-find-new-home/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #947 on: October 17, 2018, 05:13:41 pm »
Workers will return to the Colwyn Bay Pier site tomorrow.

Borehole investigation work will be carried out on the seawall and the upper retaining wall on the site of the former pier in Colwyn Bay tomorrow and Friday.

The testing is part of the preparation for the construction of a new truncated pier, which was one of the listed building conditions placed on Conwy County Borough Council (CCBC).
The investigation work aims to determine the profile of the rear face of the wall and foundation depths.

The contractor taking on the work will be Colin Jones (Rock Engineering) Ltd.
Dismantling of the pier, which has stood on the Colwyn Bay promenade for more than 100 years, was completed in May.

Work on the construction of a new truncated pier could begin as early as spring 2019 after a designer was named to draw plans in July.  ref Pioneer

Offline Neil

« Reply #948 on: October 18, 2018, 12:52:02 pm »
Have any of the Pier enthusiasts had a look at the Bay without the Pier? In my opinion the Bay looks far better without a Pier, if you look at pictures of the various Piers that have been on this site they all look like eyesores to me. Piers were essential in holiday resorts for a long time, but Colwyn Bay Has not been a holiday resort for years, it has two hotels and a B&B. The best place for a pier like structure would be the Rhos on Sea end of the Bay if you must have one.

Offline Dave

« Reply #949 on: October 18, 2018, 08:01:13 pm »
Must admit I agree, the bay looks much better without one.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #950 on: December 20, 2018, 10:31:21 am »
Colwyn Bay Pier murals look set to get their Christmas miracle and be saved in the 11th hour.

The murals, that were a part of the Colwyn Bay Victoria Pier for more than a century, were set be scrapped with just a couple of reference panels kept if a long term home was not found for them before Christmas.

Currently, the murals are stored in the Conwy County Borough Council’s Civic Offices in Colwyn Bay. But as they are in the process of moving out a new long term storage was needed for them.

Appeals had been made to art gallery giants including TATE and the London V&A, but all had turned down housing the murals.
https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17311038.a-christmas-miracle-colwyn-bay-pier-murals-saved/

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #951 on: December 20, 2018, 10:49:19 am »
Much as I wanted the pier to be saved, these murals look remarkably like a pile of junk? Am I missing something here?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SteveH

« Reply #952 on: December 20, 2018, 11:20:52 am »
I have to admit I thought the same, we can only hope.

DP article from 2013
Colwyn Bay Pier: £65,000 needed to preserve rare mural
The mural, created by Eric Ravilious and Mary Adshead, dates back to the 1930s

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/colwyn-bay-pier-65000-needed-6234851

Offline llandudnotrust

• Management board member
« Reply #953 on: December 20, 2018, 01:14:02 pm »
They are important and should be kept but are they painted on asbestos ? if so great care required, but I'm sure they will know

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #954 on: December 21, 2018, 09:14:24 am »
The whole Murals thing was always a joke. They were ruined many years ago when the Pavilion was repainted and are now just a pile of old plasterboard waiting to go in a skip.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #955 on: December 21, 2018, 10:37:08 am »
My thoughts exactly, I can't see what there is to save?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Dave

« Reply #956 on: December 21, 2018, 03:54:03 pm »
Never mind the £65K, what about the cost of the replacement to rehouse them in.There are much better ways of spending the money than rebuilding a stunted pier that isn't needed and will be pretty pointless In my humble opinion.

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #957 on: February 03, 2019, 02:30:10 pm »
They were important and if they could be saved that would have been worth doing but I thought they were on asbestos and so care should be taken.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #958 on: March 10, 2019, 01:12:53 pm »
First look at plans for new Colwyn Bay pier
Work on new pier will start later this year.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/first-look-plans-new-colwyn-15917851

Offline Hugo

« Reply #959 on: March 10, 2019, 11:03:19 pm »
Are they extracting the Michael ?     It doesn't look long enough to even get into the water