Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 385809 times)

Offline SCMP

Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2011, 05:13:23 pm »
Hello,

I beleive the vist went rather well and the minister is behind the regeneration of the pier.   :D
There has been quite a lot going on behind the scenes recently.

This link shows a few cards on the table...    :-\

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/colwyn_bay_pier_task_finish_grou_2#outgoing-117146

SCMP

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2011, 11:13:04 pm »
Steve Hunt's address is STILL The Pier?    I'm confused...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

brumbob

« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2011, 11:51:05 pm »
Interesting PDFs

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2011, 08:25:11 pm »
I'm going to cheer up Mr David Roberts of this forum----and all the other supporters of Colwyn Bays Pier. Never mind that is the organisation, is it called the Colwyn Civic Trust, I'm not sure. Anyway this week they said "Pull it down."    BUT----BUT:  As I sat in my onebed humble flat I was studying the top end of the property market i.e. the half a million bracket. What shall I buy in Colwyn Bay? (No harm in dreaming!!!). Then, I see a nice brand new property, around a half million. Amongst all its many attractions I read  "Close to the Victoria Pier, Eirias Park and the Mountain Zoo."  There you are.  Just imagine how much more they could make out of it if it had a spot of paint. Mike  P.S. If anyone is interested I can tell you what paper it was in, on which page, and the Estate Agent concerned. But, obviously, I'm not going to state this on a public forum, its going to have to be by private message, email etc.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »
It was in the Daily Post and it was an advert for the 'Manderley' development in Upper Colwyn Bay, by Ben Bailey Homes. I saw it too, Mike, and laughed.  $yes$

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2011, 08:42:00 pm »
It took six minutes for you to reply. What took you so long? Anyway, nice to know I read the same papers as the "top brass" in the forum!!! (and, of course, you were exactly right, )

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2011, 09:29:12 am »
Angry reaction to call for Colwyn Bay pier demolition
Mar 31 2011 by Richard Evans, North Wales Weekly News

COLWYN Bay Civic Society has been criticised for calling for the town’s pier to be demolished. Last week the historical group labelled the pier a “tawdry apparition from the past” and argued that any attempt to restore it would be a waste of time and money.

Historian Graham Roberts is president of the Civic Society and has this week been criticised by the National Piers Society. Mr Roberts , who has had several books published on his home town, claimed the pier was detrimental to the regeneration effort and that spending millions on its restoration was not justifiable.

Chris Wyatt from the National Piers Society claimed Mr Roberts’ comments were galling.
“I found the whole tone of Graham Roberts’ statements completely at odds with the philosophy of the Civic Society movement,” he said.
“His statements – such as ‘You can’t live on nostalgia’ – might be expected from someone with no interest in Wales’ heritage, but coming from the president of a civic society, the majority of whose members we are led to believe are of a similar opinion regarding the pier, leads one to question whether they might be more comfortable in a different organisation altogether.” He added: “This must be particularly galling for the people of Colwyn Bay who have been fighting very hard to rescue their pier in the face of the extremely difficult situation surrounding its ownership. To suggest young people have no appreciation of the importance of preserving their heritage and are ‘not bothered about an old pier’ underlines how out of touch with reality Mr Roberts is.”

But Mr Roberts stuck by his views. “Those people who feel the pier’s time is up have not been as eager to put their views forward as have those who wish for the pier to remain,” he said. “We are all on the same side, we all want what’s best for Colwyn Bay. I’ve been overwhelmed by those who have agreed with my views.”

The pier is currently a thorn in the side of an effort to regenerate the promenade. Millions of pounds are being invested in the sea front but a stalemate over the pier’s ownership means it remains in the hands of creditors Royce Peeling Green, who are not maintaining the structure.
A council safety report has already deemed the pier unsafe. The survey estimates the cost of demolishing the pier would be around £1.2 million, with total restoration starting at around £5.5 million.

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-county-news/local-conwy-news/2011/03/31/angry-reaction-to-call-for-colwyn-bay-pier-demolition-55243-28431875/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2011, 09:32:12 am »
My view is that, once again, Colwyn Bay Civic Society have proved themselves to be sadly out of touch with ordinary people in the town.  We saw how many hundreds of people turned out on a cold Winter's night to show their support for the pier - the largest such gathering in Colwyn Bay for decades. I recall someone from the Civic Society was present, who wanted to demolish the pier and build a revolving restaurant on its site - he was drowned out in a chorus of boos...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2011, 10:54:15 am »
Latest email from Steve Hunt, former owner of the pier. Please note that the opinions expressed are his alone!

Yes, that's right, CCBC are going to DEMOLISH THE PIER (after the fire) by the end of this year.

See the latest bit in the Daily Post here confirming the 'top-secret' meeting to buy the pier... of course, the Daily Post's editor is too scared to tell the whole story, despite being offered concrete evidence in the form of the Council's own leaked documents. Free speech? - not in North Wales I'm afraid.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/04/06/conwy-council-could-get-colwyn-bay-pier-back-55578-28467587/

They are meeting in "top secret" tomorrow to force the elected Councillors to agree to buy the pier for £35,000 from RPG (who are as equally corrupt as the Council and have been in on this whole scam from the start).
Even if the Councillors vote against it, acting-council-chief Ken Finch and Iwan Davies will just ignore them push it through anyway - they are the ones that control this undemocratic banana-republic that masquerades as a democratically elected Council. Your votes at election time, and the votes of the Councillor you elect, mean absolutely nothing.
The suspended chief of the Council, Byron Davies, knew too much and had to go. That is why he was set-up for rape, and when that didn't work they suspended him for something else, and so on and so on. Ken Finch & co are determined that Byron Davies will NEVER get back in the Council offices - he had uncovered far too much about the corruption in those four walls and could probably bury the lot of them. That is the power of these sick creatures.

The "Pier Pressure" group is a total smoke-screen to keep the public at bay. It was started with good intentions by good people, but was quickly infiltrated by Cllr Brian Cossey, who's agenda (as quoted in numerous council meetings for over a decade) has always been to get rid of the pier for his own perverse pleasure. Anyone who showed support or sympathy towards me or the cause of justice was quickly ousted from "Pier Pressure", and the chair, Penny Davies, brain-washed into believing there is this huge pot of lottery money just waiting for them. That is a complete and utter lie - don't believe what I say, simply phone up the Lottery HQ yourselves and ask them!... Now Cossey is using this as a political move to try and further his way up the greasy pole of local corrupt politics.

Once the pier is in the ownership of the Council, or they might give it to Pier Pressure to try and throw the scent off the Council for a few weeks whilst they carry out their next criminal act, there will be a "MYSTERIOUS FIRE" towards summer. Naturally, the Police will have "no clues" as to who started the fire, and blame it on "mindless vandals".
After the fire, the pier will be declared too unsafe and too far gone to save (by the Council appointed surveyors, of course), and so the announcement will be made that "sadly" the pier has to be demolished, but that the Council "did everything they could" to save it - in order to try and save a back-lash from local tax-payers who will hopefully see through their plot.

This is all planned out already - if any of you have seen the approved, submitted and funded plans for the vast expanse of grey concrete that is to be the new promenade, you will already know that the pier is NOT there - they have absolutely every intention of getting rid of it at all costs - which you are paying for - before the end of the year, ready for phase 2 of 'concrete ally' to start next spring.

RPG, in a meeting with the Council said: "We will make sure Mr Hunt never gets the pier back, whatever happens".  I have witnesses ready to testify to that under oath in Court.

Remember dear taxpayer, the £1.2m demolition cost, the hundreds of thousands in legal costs so far, and the multi-million pound compensation claim that will be brought against them in due course is all COMING OUT OF YOUR POCKETS - they are not paying for this - you are. The local part of the Council Tax will go up, and services will go down to pay for it. This personal vendetta by Ken Finch against me is costing YOU money, whilst he managed to get his feet under Byron Davies' desk and put his own wages up.

Think I'm just paranoid or lost the plot? - by all means think that - but I guarantee you'll be eating your words by the end of 2011. Print this email out, and as the events above unfold before your eyes over the coming months, you can tick them off one by one.

People Power can do good things - if you want to save the pier this is your last chance - please write to our MP expressing your concern and demanding he does something about it:

David Jones, MP
Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Wales
House of Commons
London
SW1A 0AA

or email  JONESDI@parliament.uk

Steve Hunt
www.victoriapier.com

Yorkie

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2011, 11:40:22 am »
Maybe it would be an idea to send a copy of the letter to Conwy County Council and use the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to ask if there is any truth in the allegations.  What do you think?

They cannot continue to ignore what is being said, or can they?   I am reminded of Ostriches and sand buckets.   ;)

Their reply would be interesting! D)

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2011, 04:56:17 pm »
I can confirm there was a meeting of the Task and Finish Group on Monday evening.
A recommendation was decided upon (not be everyone, including me). I have concerns on the ongoing implications of any decision made, including ongoing financial implications and hence did not agee with the majourity until further information was presented. But the majority decision will be put forward.
This will now be discussed on Thursday evening at the Communities Overview and Scrutiny committee and then by Cabinet next Tuesday afternoon.
Both this meetings have the subject as Exempt items, so are exempt from public and press.

Unfortunately due to these restrictions I am unable to give any more detail. But all I would say is although the reports will be exempt, when the minutes are issued they will include the recommendation agreed.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2011, 12:34:38 am »
I have a lot of time for Jason Weyman.
I have an affinity with Colwyn Bay Pier..
But for the life in me, I have no idea what Jason's last posting on this subject means.

All I can see is ...''something is going on, and I can't tell you''

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2011, 08:07:22 am »
Jason is saying that he is concerned that, by CCBC buying the pier, they could be entering into a massive liability without thinking it through properly first.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2011, 08:08:35 am »
they could be entering into a massive liability without thinking it through properly first.

CCBC doing something as silly as that?  Perish the thought....  WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Yorkie

« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2011, 08:42:50 am »
I have a lot of time for Jason Weyman.
I have an affinity with Colwyn Bay Pier..
But for the life in me, I have no idea what Jason's last posting on this subject means.

All I can see is ...''something is going on, and I can't tell you''

It's the Freemasons at work again Fester!   Like when the Freemasons were playing the Buffs at football.  One chap turned up after 25 minutes and asked the score.  "It's a secret was the reply!"    L0L

Maybe we should have a Freemason's smiley?     Z**