Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 385800 times)

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #585 on: October 24, 2014, 08:47:09 pm »
I agree with Dave - I also had a tug at the heartstrings!  I wouldn't like the  pier demolished - many happy memories from childhood and teenage years.  We lived on Cayley Prom and could see the pier from the house and as a teenager went fishing on the pier.  I would rather see the skip demolished and the pier restored - what good is the skip anyway??!! :'(

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #586 on: October 25, 2014, 12:12:54 am »
Some erudite and excellent posts on this subject, some of them have even swayed me away from my default position of 'all piers are fantastic and must be saved'
Some powerful arguments both ways, and I particularly understand the feeling of MajorMellons, given the fact that money cannot be found to continue his partner's employment.  That moved me, and I know I would feel the same in his position.

What I would like to see is a really transparent list of ALL the expenditure which CCBC think is more important than the Pier, and once I am satisfied that those items are crucial, (or even statutory service provision', then I will concede that the Pier must be allowed to be demolished.
But sadly, I will never be privy to those priorities, because the 'powers that be' at CCBC willl seek to protect their own political agendas and their own remuneration before anything else.
These people would do well to remember that they are public SERVANTS.   &shake& &shake&

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #587 on: October 25, 2014, 12:23:10 am »
Hi Fester,   How does Llandudno pier pay it's way.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #588 on: October 25, 2014, 12:25:28 am »
Steve, in descending order...

1, The Amusement Arcade Revenues.
2, The rents paid by the Concessionaires.
3, The revenue from the Pier's own concessions... (Ice Cream, Cafe, Bar)

Fester...

Offline SteveH

« Reply #589 on: October 25, 2014, 12:28:35 am »
Steve, in descending order...

1, The Amusement Arcade Revenues.
2, The rents paid by the Concessionaires.
3, The revenue from the Pier's own concessions... (Ice Cream, Cafe, Bar)

$thanx$ $thanx$   $good$

What do you think of an entrance fee to visit a pier.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #590 on: October 25, 2014, 12:51:27 am »
Part of me thinks it would be a DISASTER.

A small part of me says it would keep certain scumbags and lowlife off it.  (not to mention it would eradicate dog fouling)

Fester...

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #591 on: October 25, 2014, 09:26:37 am »
When it was the Llandudno pier co you did pay to go down the pier

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #592 on: October 25, 2014, 08:10:45 pm »
 I am a bit confused. Quote from last post "When it was Lllandudno pier Co etc etc)  What was "it" Colwyn Bay pier or Llandudno pier? In either event I don't recall ever having to pay on either of them.
   Another thing confuse me. How has this post got where it is seeing as it was sent sometime around 8 this morning and all the earlier (i e before this one) posts were around miday?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #593 on: October 25, 2014, 08:49:49 pm »
Ormegolf  Steve asked if to pay going on the pier ,(for income) surely you can remember having to pay to go on both piers , late 60s 70s the toll gate on Llandudno was just past the shell shop , before that kiosk was next to the fish tackle shop ,and they had a turnstile where the kiosks are at the entrance to the pier .

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #594 on: October 26, 2014, 07:56:11 am »
Another thing confuse me. How has this post got where it is seeing as it was sent sometime around 8 this morning and all the earlier (i e before this one) posts were around miday?

The time stamp on your post says 08:49:49 PM, Mike. Any chance you made a mistake?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #595 on: October 26, 2014, 08:47:40 am »

The time stamp on your post says 08:49:49 PM, Mike. Any chance you made a mistake?

I think he's confused those posts between Fester & SteveH as being at midday when they were actually at midnight.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Dave

« Reply #596 on: October 26, 2014, 04:30:59 pm »
Fester must have a better idea about the financial viability of piers than most of us and I agree, I think entrance fees would be a disastrous move for all the businesses there that's why they scrapped them in the first place.
I would like to pose this question to Fester though.
I haven't a clue how much you pay to have a concession on the pier and don't need to know, however, if Colwyn Bay's pier was renovated and you were offered the opportunity of have a retail outlet there at the same price as Llandudno's would you take it ?
In addition,if it's going to cost upwards of £5,000,000 to renovate and still in all probability remain within the councils ownership, do you think the rents from potential rentals would provide enough income to service the loan debt ?

Offline BMD

« Reply #597 on: October 26, 2014, 05:14:03 pm »
Bangor pier is another example to consider, and probably closer to Colwyn Bay's in some respects (although not in length!). The interesting thing about Bangor pier is that it's out of the way - quite a distance from town.

It's an indication of the popularity of piers that two couples I know, from different parts of the country, always make a point of visiting Bangor pier when they visit North Wales, even though they're not so interested in Bangor town centre (although they do go there as part of their trip to the pier).

Offline SteveH

« Reply #598 on: October 26, 2014, 05:48:51 pm »
The story of Britain’s piers is a story of
challenge, crisis and renewal. So, I welcome
this report that looks at the co-operative
model and the promise of community
ownership. It tells the inspiring story of
Hastings Pier.
http://www.uk.coop/sites/storage/public/downloads/peoples_piers.pdf

Offline BMD

« Reply #599 on: October 26, 2014, 08:46:20 pm »
The story of Britain’s piers is a story of
challenge, crisis and renewal. So, I welcome
this report that looks at the co-operative
model and the promise of community
ownership. It tells the inspiring story of
Hastings Pier.
http://www.uk.coop/sites/storage/public/downloads/peoples_piers.pdf

Very interesting, Steve, thanks. Stats confirming the universal popularity of piers, and that they're visited on a regular basis by the vast majority of the public. Also interesting on the Hastings case - many problems to overcome: absentee owner registered in Panama; court cases regarding ownership; council too slow to do anything despite public will to get something done, etc.

On the Colwyn Bay case, I would argue that some in the council have not only failed to serve and represent the public's overwhelming support for renovating the pier (as judged by petitions, campaigns, etc) but have actively tried to undermine it in certain cases.