Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 384281 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 08:13:02 am »
How tidy it all looked back then.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 05:05:43 pm »
How tidy it all looked back then.
I can't get over the size of the pavillion it looks huge.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 06:09:25 pm »
Yes, it was probably twice the height of the pavilion that's there now. Heres a pic of the interior of that original building:

[smg id=772]

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 08:10:23 pm »
A completely fantastic structure, as was the Llandudno Pier Pavilion.
Allowed to decay and fall into ruination through mismanagement and neglect.

Trying to preserve them, or doing anything tangible with Colwyn Bay Pier seems to be like ...  >?>??

There I used it ...whoo hoo !!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:13:47 pm by Fester »
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 09:36:47 pm »
Some pics of the present Pavilion on the Pier; hard to believe it was once an attractive building I know:

[smg id=775]

[smg id=774]

...how it looks now:

Piering
by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Victoria Pier Pavilion, Colwyn Bay, North Wales
by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2010, 10:23:44 am »
A structural report has revealed it could cost about £5.5m to restore the Victorian pier in Colwyn Bay.

Representatives of various bodies including Conwy council and the Pier Pressure Group have decided to work together to obtain funding. Clwyd West MP David Jones urged the council to take urgent action "about safety concerns raised in the report". Ownership of the 110-year-old pier is still with insolvency trustees.

The results of the structural appraisal of the pier were presented to the Colwyn Pier Task and Finish Group by consulting engineers Posford Datrys. Council officers and councillors were joined by representatives of the Pier Pressure Group, the insolvency trustee and Welsh Assembly Government to hear the details.

Issues of ownership, work required, and how to obtain funding for the restoration were all discussed. "I'm very pleased to report that we had a very constructive and positive meeting," said Conwy councillor Brian Cossey. "We're moving forward, considering the funding options and the potential of a sustainable business model," he added. Local MP David Jones said urgent action needed to be taken.

He said: "I'm particularly concerned about the condition of the pier which it seems to me to amount to potentially a danger to the public."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-11534197

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2010, 02:01:32 pm »
In the Weekly News, it says that CCBC are going to pay for the entire beach part of the pier to be fenced off due to the potential danger from falling debris. It's worth mentioning that Cllr John Oddy urged them to do that strongly last year but they didn't consider it necessary then. I walked under the pier back then and there was a small piece of a girder that weighed maybe 20kg or more just hanging in mid air, so loosely attached that it was swaying in the breeze!  :o Incredibly dangerous.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2010, 11:05:56 pm »
In the Weekly News, it says that CCBC are going to pay for the entire beach part of the pier to be fenced off due to the potential danger from falling debris. It's worth mentioning that Cllr John Oddy urged them to do that strongly last year but they didn't consider it necessary then. I walked under the pier back then and there was a small piece of a girder that weighed maybe 20kg or more just hanging in mid air, so loosely attached that it was swaying in the breeze!  :o Incredibly dangerous.

I remember the photo's you took. Must have been risky to take them.   
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:10:49 pm by Trojan »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2010, 12:12:44 am »
In the Weekly News, it says that CCBC are going to pay for the entire beach part of the pier to be fenced off due to the potential danger from falling debris. It's worth mentioning that Cllr John Oddy urged them to do that strongly last year but they didn't consider it necessary then. I walked under the pier back then and there was a small piece of a girder that weighed maybe 20kg or more just hanging in mid air, so loosely attached that it was swaying in the breeze!  :o Incredibly dangerous.

Here's the Plan ... build a small campsite on the beach,  wait the required amount of time for said 20kg girder to fall naturally,   allow said girder to impart a glancing blow to your skull ..... contact CCBC or the Administrators and point them in the direction of their Pubic Liability Insurance.
Slam your claim in,   pocket the £5.5m Compo,   .... by the Pier with that dosh.... renovate it accordingly.
Then its yours!  Simple.
Sometimes Dave, you just don't think things through.  L0L

Fester...

Offline Trojan

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2010, 07:59:59 am »
Renovate it accordingly...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2010, 08:32:28 pm »
I remember the photo's you took. Must have been risky to take them.   
Not really, mate....  _))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2010, 08:37:41 pm »
Kidding apart, there was a serious risk of someone, probably kids playing under the pier, getting killed by the loose bits of metal:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2010, 09:09:04 pm »
Recent aerial shot of the Pier:

[smg id=786]

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2010, 09:10:51 pm »
It's a really pitiful sight - so sad to see it in such a state.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2010, 09:41:33 pm »
Dave, do you know if any of the Iron piles are missing at the very end of the Pier?   It looks like only 2 central columns are holding up a wide upper structure?   Maybe it was designed that way,  but it looks a little 'thin' to me ...

Fester...