Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 392543 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #405 on: April 18, 2013, 12:58:38 pm »
A car on that pier??  Surely that's not possible... is it?

Is it one that you have to put 50p in the slot per ride?  WWW
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #406 on: April 18, 2013, 05:32:50 pm »
Thats it the Noddy and Big Ears one.

Offline SCMP

« Reply #407 on: May 08, 2013, 02:23:08 pm »

Daily Post Website:

A Businessman has scored what could turn out to be a critical victory in his fight to wrestle control of Colwyn Bay's crumbling Victoria pier from Conwy County Council.

Stephen Hunt insists that he or his mother, Gloria, should be recognised as the rightful owner of the pier he paid £100,000 for in 2003 with the intention of restoring it to its former glory.

But Conwy insists that it owns the pier, having bought it for £36,000 in March last year - using a grant from the Welsh Government - after it was transferred to the Crown Estate following bankruptcy proceedings against Mr Hunt.

That fundamental difference of opinion triggered an intense High Court dispute - from which Mr Hunt today emerged the winner.

Sir William Blackburne's ruling means that Mr Hunt will get another chance to persuade a local judge that the pier, and the foreshore on which it stands, should be formally 'vested' in him.

The judge said Mr Hunt was made bankrupt at the council's behest in 2008 on the basis of just over £5,000 in allegedly unpaid council tax and rate demands. That meant everything he owned, including the pier, passed into the hands of his trustee in bankruptcy.

The trustee at first applied for a court order forcing Mr Hunt to give up possession of the pier. However, the trustee later disclaimed all interest in the pier and foreshore and they passed to the Crown Estate Commissioners who, in turn, transferred them to the council.

However, that transfer was subject to all 'third party interests' - including the right of Mr Hunt and his mother to seek a court order vesting title to the pier in one or both of them.

Such applications were duly made but were dismissed at Cardiff County Court last year by Judge Jarman QC, who found that ownership had legitimately been transferred to the council.

However, in a ruling which throws the future of the pier back up into the air, Sir William's today pinpointed legal errors in the judge's decision and directed a fresh hearing of Mr Hunt's bid to have the pier vested in him.

Central to Mr Hunt's case is his argument that he still owns a 'dwelling' on the pier, which he has been unable to access since the council fenced it off, and that means ownership of the property was never validly transferred to the council.

Mr Hunt earlier told the court: "I am locked out - the council changed the locks and put a fence up. I can't go to collect my post and my car is still on the pier."

Gloria Hunt also argues she is entitled to a beneficial interest in the pier, having given her son half of the money used to buy it.

Council lawyers described the 'dangerous' structure as in a 'crumbling' state and said that a bid to secure lottery funding for its renovation had so far been unsuccessful because of the ongoing row with Mr Hunt and his mother.

However, Mr Hunt contended he had suggested working with the council in the past to secure funding, and said Conwy hadn't done any work to make the pier safe.

Overturning Judge Jarman's ruling, and directing a reconsideration of the case at the county court, Sir William said the judge had not adequately dealt with Mr Hunt's plea that the propertly should be vested in him as the occupier of a 'dwelling house' on the pier.

The judge intervened despite council arguments that Mr Hunt's alleged home on the pier is 'no longer fit for human habitation' and of 'no practical benefit' to him.

No date was set for the re-hearing of the dispute at the county court

Mr Hunt said he feels vindicated and urged the council to re-open negotiations with him to thrash out a way forward.

He said: “I have been saying it for five years ‘I have always said ‘talk to me’.

He added: “I will not stop. I will not go away.”

Meanwhile, Clwyd West MP David Jones is worried the Colwyn Bay Victoria pier ownership saga will now go on even longer.

He said: “The court’s decision means that the issue of ownership of the pier will not be cleared up for several months and the judge’s remarks clearly indicate that Mr Hunt has at least a strong arguable case.

“The condition of the pier is continuing to deteriorate and now looks even worse after the completion of Porth Eirias and the laying of the new beach.

“I would strongly urge the council ‘’Don’t simply let the legal proceses take their course but take on board the judge’s comments and consider negotiating with Mr Hunt’ .”

He added: “The saga of the pier has been nothing short of disastrous for Colwyn Bay and the county of Conwy.

“It is the latest in a seriies of issues that must give cause for concern about the council management  of its affairs. I’m thinking of Maesdu Road Bridge, Home to School Transport contract and Forces for Good (grant) scandal.

“Nodbody ever seems to accept political responsibility for these disasters. I would suggest that those in political charge of the council should consider their position. Certainly in similar cases at a  Whitehall level, resignations would have been offered.”

Conwy Council has not yet responded to the High Court ruling.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: May 08, 2013, 02:32:44 pm »
And so it all drags on..

When you think of all the work Mr. Paxman did to renovate the Pier, and its now in a worse state than ever thanks to this clown.  &shake&

Offline SCMP

« Reply #409 on: May 08, 2013, 03:08:24 pm »
It means the heritage fund won't even concider the application now at all.
Thats another 6-12 month delay before an actual court decission and then a re application and that is if anybody is willing to pay the thousands of pounds to make it and by that point..... well done 'thick cut'

Offline Linda

« Reply #410 on: May 08, 2013, 07:09:33 pm »
It is disgraceful how this has been left. As i was down there today i couldnt actually see anything to stop people from walking under the
Pier. Will someone be badly hurt or worse with any falling debris before SOMEBODY does something to it. That usually happens then uproar all round. &shake&

Offline SCMP

« Reply #411 on: May 08, 2013, 10:15:47 pm »
The problem being is that the pressure group and shorething have been jumping through the hoops for the past three years whilst Hunt keeps dragging this on, appeal after appeal, but after today having his appeals for ownership and his mothers appeal all dismissed and only now his squat dwelling in question then maybe something CAN be done about it.

Offline BMD

« Reply #412 on: May 09, 2013, 07:11:41 pm »
I've been following this saga since 2008, but I'm still not sure who to believe on certain points (both parties seem at fault, and both are obviously spinning the story in their favour).

Strong words from Clwyd West MP David Jones:

"It is the latest in a series of issues that must give cause for concern about the council management of its affairs. [...] Nobody ever seems to accept political responsibility for these disasters. I would suggest that those in political charge of the council should consider their position. Certainly in similar cases at a Whitehall level, resignations would have been offered."

Very impressed by the Victoria Pier Pressure Group (VPPG), though. (Btw, today VPPG tweeted: "I wouldnt beleive everything you read in the papers, things are actually looking rosey and very much possible"). https://twitter.com/VictoriaPierPG

Offline viv

« Reply #413 on: May 10, 2013, 09:18:37 pm »
It is disgraceful how this has been left. As i was down there today i couldnt actually see anything to stop people from walking under the
Pier. Will someone be badly hurt or worse with any falling debris before SOMEBODY does something to it. That usually happens then uproar all round. &shake&

I have reported this to the Council, and emphasised that it was urgent in the interest of Public Safety, but they haven't done anything et. I have also told David Jones MP and advised the Press. They fenced it off originally following warnings from the Town Council. No doubyt they will say that the prom area is fenced off, but that's not much help to the people who walk straight through on the actual beach.

Offline Linda

« Reply #414 on: May 10, 2013, 09:34:47 pm »
Your so right Viv, I havent noticed any fencing off as yet and there are pieces of metal hanging off the pier. So dangerous! and yet further near Old Colwyn the contractors/council have closed off steps that really arent that bad down to the beach there. So its a sham to leave
the pier area open when something could fall off that and literally kill someone God forbid.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #415 on: May 21, 2013, 08:40:50 pm »
A friend of mine has done some great aerial footage of the Pier:
Colwyn Bay pier

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #416 on: May 21, 2013, 08:59:20 pm »
Brilliant. What  did he take it from?

Offline viv

« Reply #417 on: May 21, 2013, 11:52:12 pm »
I couldn't see his car on the Pier!!!!!

I'm sure he had put on his Victoria Pier site something about where he was living  -the other address that he says the council should have sent his bill to - Lansdowne Road or Coed Pella Rd or thereabouts - so he wasn't living on the pier then!!I'll have another look, but it is like wading through treacle!

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #418 on: May 21, 2013, 11:56:11 pm »
Seeing the prop blades  R/C helicoptor with camera.maybe. but great pics romanjohn.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #419 on: May 22, 2013, 12:40:34 am »
A friend of mine has done some great aerial footage of the Pier:
Colwyn Bay pier

A superb little video.... but what's with the sinister music?

It just shows how badly run down Steve Hunt allowed that monument to become.  A crying shame.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -