Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 386438 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #390 on: December 16, 2012, 01:24:49 pm »
I wonder if he's paid the costs of the last legal case that he lost yet?

In separate proceedings earlier this year, Mr Hunt failed in his bid to challenge Conwy’s auditors KPMG, following their audit of the accounts for the year 2010/2011.

An officer’s report to the Cabinet states that a costs order was made against Mr Hunt then too in the sum of £12,000 but that the sum remains unpaid. As the council have to reimburse KPMG for any costs relating to objection of the accounts (as these are not covered in KPMG’s annual fee), the council will have to pay the £12,000 to KPMG, according to the officer’s report.

Officers will chase Mr Hunt for the two outstanding costs from the KPMG case and August 17 case “with all reasonable means”, says the report.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #391 on: December 16, 2012, 02:29:39 pm »
Bad news about Steve Hunt arising again. I thought this had been well and truly put to bed. In view of the fact he obviously haven't got that sort of money' cannot the legal system say "look. You go ahead and appeal yet again. But this time you pay xxx amount of cash up front to finance it. Lose, and you lose your cash." why should we all go on financing this mans fantasies? Mike

Because we cannot continue paying the legal cases of Foreign Dissidents without supporting our own.
Are you sure it is a fantasy?  Remember he did originally purchase the Pier, and the way CCBC keep us in the dark they could be doing the same in this instance.  Maybe, just maybe, he has been wronged, in which case do you blame him for seeking Justice?
 $walesflag$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SCMP

« Reply #392 on: January 05, 2013, 07:45:54 pm »
Mr and Mrs Hunt has not paid for court costs etc and owes almost £60k so far. He keeps appealing because he has no money to pay what he owes.
He has put off court cases and had dates change for many reasons including 'being on holiday' just to drag it out, as he has said if he can't have it then he's going to make it as difficult as possible for the council to get funding.

The council legally own the pier and the worst that could happen is the high courts chould side with Mr Hunt and he is owed money (token gesture for what the pier is worth!)
The HLF have met with the council / ShoreThing and know that the council own the pier. The Wales HLF passed the last fuding bid through but then it goes to London so negative press is not a good thing and he know it.
Hunt 'offered' to take back the pier and lease it to the council/Shore Thing for 99 years starting at a £100k a year lease. When the pier is restored and after a few years it will cost around £100k just to keep the maintainance so thats £200k a year to keep the pier afloat.

He has admitted that he does not want the pier he just wants the money.

The pier pressure group have an public open thing in the bay view this coming tuesday and wednesday according to their website so it might be worth a chat with them?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #393 on: January 05, 2013, 08:09:54 pm »
He should be declared a 'vexatious litigant' and told to b****r off, instead of wasting yet more taxpayers money.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #394 on: January 05, 2013, 10:26:03 pm »
So now Mr Hunt has all but exhausted the legal process, and has found himself cornered by costs he cannot fulfill.

If he wishes to continue this ruinous crusade, he must be asked by the judge to lodge £200,000 with the court in lieu of any costs he MAY become liable for, IF he were to lose.

That is a common request in cases heard by Civil or Commercial Courts, to guard against time-wasters and 'Vexatious Litigants', as Dave has correctly labelled him.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #395 on: March 22, 2013, 09:06:49 am »
VPPG/Shore Thing are applying to put a cabin outside the pier to act as an office for their activities:

Community Council: Cyngor Tref Bay of Colwyn Town Council
Location: Victoria Pier The Promenade Colwyn Bay Conwy LL29 8HH
Proposal: Temporary site cabin located to the front concrete apron / forecourt of Victoria Pier

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #396 on: April 03, 2013, 05:47:48 pm »
Hastings Pier which was substantially damaged by fire in 2010 has been awarded a £10m rebuild grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund if they can raise £2m themselves to complete the necessary rebuild costs. Somebody should have a good look at their application to see how it's done
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #397 on: April 11, 2013, 09:16:25 am »
I was walking down the bread aisle in ASDA today, when I saw a loaf of Kingsmill Wholemeal, which strangely reminded me of the pier's foolish previous owner, Steve Hunt.

But when I drew nearer to it, I realised that it actually said 'THICK CUT'

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #398 on: April 11, 2013, 09:37:42 am »
 :laugh:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2013, 10:19:56 am »
 _))*
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #400 on: April 16, 2013, 09:34:25 pm »
The Pier Pressure Group have a new website:
http://www.victoriapiercolwynbay.com/index.html

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #401 on: April 18, 2013, 12:01:39 am »
If this latest BBC News report is to be believed,... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22185615

.... then this thread will need to be re-named, ''the NEVER ENDING SAGA OF........''

The High Court merry-go round continues.
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #402 on: April 18, 2013, 11:04:24 am »
"Mr Hunt also argues he still owns a “dwelling” on the pier, which he has been unable to access since the council fenced it off.

Under insolvency law, he would be entitled to keep the property – even if the rest of the pier remains in the council's hands – if he was the occupant when the bankruptcy proceedings began.

He added: “I am locked out – the council changed the locks and put a fence up. I can’t go to collect my post and my car is still on the pier.”  :laugh:

Mr Hunt’s mother, Gloria Hunt, is also appealing the county court judge’s dismissal of her claim that she has a beneficial interest in the pier, as she gave her son half of the money to buy it."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2013/04/18/businessman-takes-colwyn-bay-pier-fight-to-high-court-55578-33194962/

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #403 on: April 18, 2013, 11:15:49 am »
A car on that pier??  Surely that's not possible... is it?
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #404 on: April 18, 2013, 11:21:46 am »
Hunt used to park his van on the side walkway....until it started to sag noticeably.  &shake&