Poll

What should be done with Colwyn Bay Pier?

Demolish it
Carry out basic renovation (spend up to £5m)
Carry out comprehensive renovation, including all buildings (spend up to £10m)

Author Topic: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier  (Read 394634 times)

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
Re: The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2011, 09:02:08 am »
Fester you are in a right.
Just like issues with Maesdu Bridge. I can tell you that things were going on, but could not give the detail. This is one of the reasons for my "frustrated" profile pic. Should I discuss exempt info I will then be breaking the Code of Conduct and the problems that will bring. (I have had that hassle before i.e. Kinmel Bay, although the Ombudsman agreed I hadn't broken any rules)

There is a lot of people working on trying to find a solution to the Colwyn Bay Pier and I don't understand why this is not made public. Evert effort is being found in to attracting the funding to refurbish the Pier, but the requirements of the funders have stringent conditions.

Following this evening meeting the minutes will have to be prepared in time for Cabinet on Tuesday. The minutes will be public and will give you a steer on what is proposed.

DaveR is very astute.

Yorkie

« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2011, 09:10:56 am »
Fester you are in a right.
 Should I discuss exempt info I will then be breaking the Code of Conduct and the problems that will bring.

I wouldn't worry the C o C is being broken almost on a daily basis!    Z**
Just have to vist one or two drinking parlours.    ZXZ

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2011, 06:25:32 pm »
I was just watching a piece on ITV Wales news about the Pier and there was a clip with Steve Hunt saying that he had lost 'nearly a million pounds' by buying the pier and then losing it via bankruptcy. I'm a little perplexed as to where he gets this figure from? He paid £100,000 for it, so where has the rest of that sum been spent? I remember it in the days before it he bought it, he carried out a fair bit of interior work to the shoreward building but I'd be amazed if he had spent more than another £100,000 in total, as no repairs were carried out to the structure during his period of ownership.  $scratch$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2011, 11:15:12 pm »
Jason,
Pointing out that DaveR is very astute just makes him worse.  Please don't encourage him

More importantly, what you have just said is exactly why I have no time for politicians any more.
(I say anymore, because this has not always been the case)

But now, I have concluded that THEY (no offence but I am including you)  spend MY money and make decisions affecting ME... but the process of discussion is barred to me.  I am not allowed to see or hear what is being said.

That is also true of the Masons. In a different way.  This is another elite group who meet and discuss matters of some importance (I imagine) and once again its all in secret and clandestine.
The difference being, I don't think the Masons are spending MY money.  Or are they? How would I know.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2011, 08:08:08 am »
That is also true of the Masons. In a different way.  This is another elite group who meet and discuss matters of some importance (I imagine) and once again its all in secret and clandestine.
I doubt they discuss anything of any importance? It's for a group of middle aged men to puff up their chests, carry around briefcases and gain a respite from their wives. No, I think you attach far too much importance to them...

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2011, 10:16:21 am »
In which case...you ARE indeed very astute!
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2011, 10:34:30 am »
I've just been reading Jason's update on the meeting last night here:
http://jasonweyman.blogspot.com/2011/04/colwyn-bay-pier.html

As he says, 'there is no easy solution'. Without having sight of the figures, my own preferred option would be for CCBC to acquire it, then pass it on immediately to the Pier Pressure Group, together with perhaps some financial assistance to get the ball rolling. The Pier Group could then work to renovate/reopen the shoreward building to start bringing some money in, whilst at the same time applying for grants to carry out some of the more expensive work - I am sure WREN, for example, would be more than happy to contribute. The renovation task would, potentially, be a long haul but could also act as a way of bringing the entire community together to work on the project.

The choice is simple - either demolish it for no gain whatsoever to the local community OR invest to refurbish/reopen it as a facility with a range of attractions for locals and visitors alike. That will pull more visitors into Colwyn Bay, create some jobs, pay some taxes and provide some facilities.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2011, 10:41:29 am »
I don't like the sound of ''demolish'' still being an option under consideration???    :o
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2011, 10:42:41 am »
my own preferred option would be for CCBC to acquire it, then pass it on immediately to the Pier Pressure Group,

I agree, totally.  Possibly the most valuable aspect could be the 'community effect':  the drawing together of many people in the Bay and elsewhere who simply want to arrest the apparently irrevocable deterioration that's been taking place for so long, now, and rescue something which has fond memories for a visitors and locals alike.

The only difficulty I foresee is assembling a body that could deal assume responsibility for the pier and thus apply for the grants necessary to renovate it.  Someone is going to have to be prepared to assume the mantle;  it's a big task.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2011, 10:56:02 am »
The Pier Pressure Group has been up and running for a while; I believe they are ready and willing to take on the task.  ££$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2011, 11:23:56 am »
Who's the chair these days?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2011, 11:35:34 am »
Penny Davies

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2011, 08:49:35 pm »
We could quite easily solve a couple of problems by getting Llandudno RNLI to buy Colwyn Bay Pier and build their new lifeboat station on it. It might then have to be called the Colwyn Bay Lifeboat but I could live with that
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline poppy

« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2011, 01:21:09 am »
My mother gets a mention  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2011, 08:19:29 am »