The Local > Local News & Discussion

The long running saga of Colwyn Bay Pier

(1/198) > >>

DaveR:
Already featured in our 'Local Eyesores' section, I feel the future of the Pier is such a major issue in Colwyn Bay that it deserves its own thread. Has it already reached the pint at which an economic renovation is unfeasible or could a dedicated band of volunteers wrest control from the Administrators and begin the slow process of repair?

[smg id=51]

Nearly 40 years separate these two photos of Colwyn Bay Pier....

The top one, taken in the early 1970s, shows a bustling pier with Golden Goose Entertainments (Admission Free!), Dixieland Palace Showbar with Cabaret & Dancing, The Lincoln Suite (whatever that is?) and Golden Fry Restaurant.

Today's photo shows a closed and shuttered pier. A cheap looking extension was built onto the front of the Golden Goose sometime in the 1980s, with the Golden Goose itself becoming a combined amusements/cafe/bar area. The Dixieland Showbar (later CJs) and Golden Fry Restaurant both closed in the late 1980s and the pavilion building (to the right) they were housed in is falling further into decay. Even the ornamental turrets have gone from the roof towers! The pier's owner, Steve Hunt, was made bankrupt in 2008 by Conwy County Borough Council in a spat over unpaid rates and the pier has remained closed ever since.

Fester:
For what its worth ...I believe that if the powers that be in the re-generation committee want a pier there, they will throw money at it.

If they set there fac against it,  it will be gone ...almost instantly.

The recent engineering survey showed that the Ironwork is in suprisingly good condition.  That in itself should be the basis of keeping it, and re-inventing it.

But....I'm pessimistic.

Indigo:
Good news that the engineering survey shows the ironwork to be in good condition. A testimony to Victorian craftsmen and another reason to retain the pier.
There is a foundry in Yorkshire that have the capability of replicating original cast iron mouldings. They can also manufacture tie-bars. All at a price but at least we know the work can still be done.

I still think that giving the superstructure a facelift is job one.  It may be that a new superstructure is required; but for this moment in time a paint job will suffice to remove the tired look.

Might I ask who actually owns it now?  Is it Mr. S. Hunt or some other party?  Whilst the legal challenges are still dragging on the pier is deteriorating. I hope these delays are not being orchestrated with the view that the pier will, in time, be scheduled for demolition.

The pier in is private ownership and is (supposedly) not eligible for an EU grant.
Whilst the local council are getting excited about renovating Colwyn Bay and its environs with buckets of cash from the EU, the pier might be problematic in the grand scheme. In my view the pier is a focal point in Colwyn Bay and cannot be left out of the scheme.  No, this pier belongs to the people of Colwyn Bay and must be kept that way. I think a lot more voices are required to rally the cause.

DaveR:
Good post, Indigo, and welcome to the Forum!  :)

The issue of ownership is a thorny one. Since Mr Hunt was made bankrupt, the pier has been in the hands of Administrators who, I've no doubt, would dearly love to get it off their hands as soon as possible. I've seen mention of a minimum price of £10,000 in order to recover their expenses so far. There is both a Pier Steering Group and a Victoria Pier Pressure Group set up, but progress seems to be painfully slow.

I would be in favour of a community group buying the pier from the Administrators and it being run as a community venture. The Pier was the hub of Colwyn Bay social life up until the 1970s and it could now perform that role again, along with providing a host of attractions for visitors and locals alike, eg. cafe, bar, amusements, childrens rides, small concert venue, exhibition hall. The restoration process could really bring the community together and provide training in various building skills, along with work for small businesses in the area.

You're quite right in saying that a good coat of paint would transform the exterior of the buildings for a couple of years until more permanent repairs could be carried out.  The strategy for a community group should be to try and get the main building at the entrance looking smarter and reopening all of the facilities/attractions within, thus generating the cashflow to begin other work. Members on this forum have, in the past, suggested a market in the old Ballroom as a way of initially generating revenue and bringing people back onto the pier.

Michael:
Personally I find the saddest thing about the pier in its present state is the five, maybe six large signs for everyone to see ---- "O P E N."   Could someone, anyone, get a bucket of paint and wipe these out.  Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version