Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380270 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #690 on: March 22, 2017, 07:05:28 pm »
Llandudno Town Council to reccomend to CCBC that the application is refused. See the FLAG Facebook page.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #691 on: March 23, 2017, 05:23:11 pm »
From the FLAG Facebook page:

Last night, at an extraordinary meeting of Llandudno Town Council planning committee, Councillors voted overwhelmingly to reject the application for development of the former Pier Pavilion site and to recommend that CCBC deny planning permission.

Cllr Greg Robins, chair of the planning group, confirmed all his fellow councillors had read the plans and all of the currently submitted objections.

He also drew to attention to factual points:

Firstly that Mr Adam Williams, owner of Llandudno Pier, had confirmed to the Town Council that he has never been approached by the developer or his architects to remove his kiosks and that he does not intend to do so.

Secondly that the 77 parking spaces falls well short of CCBC requirements, 137 spaces are required for the flats under LDP 02 and that does not include spaces needed for the two proposed restaurants. It was noted 12 on road parking spaces would also be lost in the development to form an entrance.

LTC are an advisory body in this matter but we are extremely pleased that the committee agrees that the proposed building is still much too high and too great a mass – “overbearing” was the word frequently used - for the footprint of the site. The councillors also agreed that a change of use to residential from Tourism Amenity would not be welcomed or correct for this particular site.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline CMG

« Reply #692 on: March 26, 2017, 05:43:53 pm »
I've message FLAG to see if they can produce a more professional version of this mock up. Waldron is getting away with his false perspective drawing something which shows a more realistic perspective is needed. What a blot on the townscape it would actually be.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:29:57 pm by Ian »

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #693 on: March 26, 2017, 10:51:58 pm »
just got a nose bleed standing on my head to see the photo

Offline CMG

« Reply #694 on: March 27, 2017, 06:17:15 pm »
Sorry I don't know why the photo is upside down, it was the right way up when I selected it. I asked the moderator if he/she could fix it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #695 on: March 28, 2017, 03:30:29 pm »
Done.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #696 on: March 28, 2017, 09:16:04 pm »
thats better got the blood back in my feet again

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #697 on: April 01, 2017, 08:18:32 am »
It seems Mr Waldron has pulled out of the pavilion project in favour of an Arts group, who plan to build a new theatre and concert hall on the site.

dailypost.co,uk-pavilion-site-llandudno-new-plans
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #698 on: April 01, 2017, 08:28:34 am »
I never saw that coming.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #699 on: April 01, 2017, 09:07:21 am »
What date is it folks?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #700 on: April 10, 2017, 10:53:52 pm »
I'm just surprised that there were only about 60 objections to this site but I still can't understand Mostyn Estates part in all this.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/controversial-llandudno-pier-pavilion-plan-12876036

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #701 on: April 12, 2017, 04:36:57 pm »
http://edm.conwy.gov.uk/Planning/lg/dialog.page?lang=en&org.apache.shale.dialog.DIALOG_NAME=gfplanningsearch&Param=lg.Planning&ref_no=0/43785&viewdocs=true

Mostyn Estates has submitted a 14-page letter objecting to the development. Included in this document is reference to the fact that the Colonnades to Happy Valley are part of the Pier Pavilion Development site and they question why the current site owner has not been pursued to carry out maintenance with the same vigour the Council demonstrated towards Colwyn Bay Pier. Ouch! So Waldron's "offer" to smarten up the Colonnades was actually an obligation as possible future ownership.

Oh, and the Grand Hotel supposedly submitted a one sentence letter saying that they are in favour of the development. However rumour has it that once/if the Pavilion development is completed he will purchase the Grand Hotel with a view to doing it up and selling it on.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #702 on: April 12, 2017, 06:09:44 pm »
Thanks OrmeMac,  Well worth the read, it definitely pays to have a legal team behind you, if you are going to object, I feel a little more optimistic after reading their objections.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #703 on: April 12, 2017, 06:25:58 pm »
Not sure what the Colonnade has to do with the Pavilion site.  This was built in 1931/32 as an "unemployment relief" scheme by Llandudno UDC, to the design of the Mostyn Agent, G A Humphreys, and are now owned by Conwy CBC.

I wonder if the term "colonnades" has been used to mean the metal uprights or columns which are all that seem to remain of the frontage of the Pavilion ??

Offline Hugo

« Reply #704 on: April 12, 2017, 06:50:09 pm »
http://edm.conwy.gov.uk/Planning/lg/dialog.page?lang=en&org.apache.shale.dialog.DIALOG_NAME=gfplanningsearch&Param=lg.Planning&ref_no=0/43785&viewdocs=true

Mostyn Estates has submitted a 14-page letter objecting to the development. Included in this document is reference to the fact that the Colonnades to Happy Valley are part of the Pier Pavilion Development site and they question why the current site owner has not been pursued to carry out maintenance with the same vigour the Council demonstrated towards Colwyn Bay Pier. Ouch! So Waldron's "offer" to smarten up the Colonnades was actually an obligation as possible future ownership.

That's very interesting Ormemac, perhaps Mostyn Estates will now write in objecting  to the Castle Hotel,  the Llandudno Youth Centre and Penmorfa Hotel sites