Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 379798 times)

Offline Greyhound

Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #600 on: March 08, 2017, 09:15:03 am »
Well I am going to stick my neck out and say I think it looks good. We aren't going to ever recreate the original and I am not one for pastiche with fake columns and plastic moulding. I think it looks modern but sympathetic, which is what i think would be best for the site.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #601 on: March 08, 2017, 09:18:55 am »
Well I am going to stick my neck out and say I think it looks good. We aren't going to ever recreate the original and I am not one for pastiche with fake columns and plastic moulding. I think it looks modern but sympathetic, which is what i think would be best for the site.
I think it's a great improvement on the original design and also fits in far better with the Grand Hotel next door.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #602 on: March 08, 2017, 10:03:06 am »
Err...yes, but to me, anyway, the only difference appears to be a coat of paint. The original design looked bad because of the high contrast finish: near-black against the white of the hotel. However, it's a well-known technique: provide an initial application that appears grotesque, wait for the tumult to abate then submit a proposal which is almost identical.  People then agree out of a sense of resignation coupled with relief.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #603 on: March 08, 2017, 10:12:17 am »
On a positive note I like the change, however it is still a very big build on a small footprint, as someone said the previous plan could have been a red herring setting us up for what they intened all the time, I am looking forward to seeing the reaction from FLAG and those close to the development.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #604 on: March 08, 2017, 11:01:36 am »
Please let there be a Burger King in it.... PLEASE!!!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #605 on: March 08, 2017, 11:18:09 am »
Quote from above.....
These will be top-quality restaurants, and I’ve been in discussions for some time with two very well-known chains that are seriously interested in taking the space.              :twoface:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #606 on: March 08, 2017, 12:02:19 pm »
Err...yes, but to me, anyway, the only difference appears to be a coat of paint.
If you look more closely, you'll see there are actually quite  a few changes to the detail of the design:

Offline SteveH

« Reply #607 on: March 08, 2017, 12:21:39 pm »
A few of the comments from the article.....

Ha. Just changed the colour of the original design from black to white.

Thought it was going for a modern Victoriana look... Don't object to modern but I think it should have more than a passing nod to the Victorian heratige

This is just Benidorm 2.0, right next to a listed building.

Makes sense that the planning application is going in before May's council election. Cllr Rees is not standing for re-election so won't be accountable afterwards. This application should wait until after May.

I like it. It will bring a touch of the modern to Llandudno, which is exactly what the town needs instead of just constantly wallowing in Victoriana.

Just another big block of flats
Don't allow this to happen!

Is this the best they can do? It's awful, looks nothing like a victorian building, just a cheap block of flats, they need to pull designs from surrounding buildings, this is nothing to do with how many it will employ, that's a smokescreen and people are not that stupid. The building is a carbuncle, sack the planner and get a decent one.

I agree with you about the flat roof, why does anyone think this is a good idea in a country like Britain?  There is a good deal of room for improvement in this design, even though it is a little better than the previous one

This is a small improvement on the previous design. Instead of complaining, perhaps we should suggest improvements. For example the flat roof is out of character and should be redesigned. The frontage looks like a Benidorn high rise apartment block. This needs improvement and should be traditionally clad.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #608 on: March 08, 2017, 01:27:17 pm »
Quote from above.....
These will be top-quality restaurants, and I’ve been in discussions for some time with two very well-known chains that are seriously interested in taking the space.              :twoface:

Exactly what I mean..... you not had a Burger King recently?  Top notch!
Fester...

Offline SteveH

« Reply #609 on: March 08, 2017, 02:04:59 pm »
Quote from above.....
Exactly what I mean..... you not had a Burger King recently?  Top notch!
I used to love BK, but I have not had a decent burger for years, so more or less given up,  where do you go ?

I know it would make sense to have fast food outlets there, but I was rather hoping for something a bit up market taking advantage of the evening view, plus fast food outlets create a lot of litter.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #610 on: March 08, 2017, 02:13:38 pm »
Off topic sorry...
Steve, about once a month I find myself up near Flint, and treat myself to a visit to that BK on the A55 which used to be Little Chef.  It has a Premier Inn attached I think?

We need a thread about burgers, as there are some great ones in the 3 Towns area, (and some disappointing ones too).    One a month I say, everything in moderation! 

Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #611 on: March 08, 2017, 03:10:36 pm »
Err...yes, but to me, anyway, the only difference appears to be a coat of paint.
If you look more closely, you'll see there are actually quite  a few changes to the detail of the design:

I can't really see them, Dave. The colour's changed, and perhaps the micro-positioning of a few trims, but that's about it.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #612 on: March 08, 2017, 03:40:07 pm »
.....the first time I have ever seen 'top-quality restaurants' and 'Burger King' on the same page.......

Are aspirations for the site really that low?
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #613 on: March 08, 2017, 03:41:54 pm »
I can't really see them, Dave. The colour's changed, and perhaps the micro-positioning of a few trims, but that's about it.
I agree, little change, I would like to see it at least one level lower and have a tiered end towards the town, with an improved roof line.
I know any build is going to cause problems, and the two year time scale on this one, in such a tight area is going to be a nightmare.   &shake&

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #614 on: March 08, 2017, 03:48:24 pm »
Perhaps BMD would care to comment? He's the design expert in here.