Poll

What do you think should be the way forward for the Pier Pavilion site?

Modern design, as put forward by Mr Waldron, featuring restaurants, apartments etc
4 (6.1%)
Recreation of original Pier Pavilion design, but with leisure and entertainment facilities inside
50 (75.8%)
Larger version of original design, with leisure, entertainment and apartments included
8 (12.1%)
Leave site empty for another 20 years
4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site  (Read 380296 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Llandudno's Pier Pavilion redevelopment site
« Reply #585 on: January 31, 2017, 01:40:42 pm »
Llandudno seafront sewage leak sparks smell and pollution fears

A drainage problem at the Grand Hotel has seen sewage spill on to the Pier Pavilion site.
There had been claims it was related to groundworks on the site ahead of a planning application for a controversial restaurant and housing scheme at the location.
But officers at Conwy council say the problem was due to defective drainage from the Grand Hotel and not connected in any way to the works on the Pier Pavilion land.

A spokeswoman from Conwy council said: "The Council did receive reports of a sewage leak.
"Upon investigation, officers were able to confirm that the problem was related to defective drainage from an adjacent property; we are satisfied that they are taking all steps to resolve the problem.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-seafront-sewage-leak-sparks-12531474

Offline CMG

« Reply #586 on: January 31, 2017, 09:42:24 pm »
Drainage Problem at the Grand Hotel......What a coincidence!  No cesspit until Waldron's ground works started....sorry but I smell a rat (like the deliberate pun?).  Why did this cesspit only develop since Waldron's digger started working there? I understand that there has been an ongoing problem with the drains already but it's now a whole lot worse...as is the look of the whole site since he got in there. Of course the council will blame it totally on the Grand, they have a vested interest in keeping Waldron 'clean' (doing well with these puns!).  If rumours are true, and I was told that this came from Waldron's own lips, the council asked him to develop the site.  But further, surely this begs the question can the Victorian sewers cope with modern day waste levels from 2 HUGE restaurants and 54 flats?  Not looking promising is it. Wonder how much more investment Waldron will have to find to bring the sewers up to a reliable modern standard?

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #587 on: February 01, 2017, 04:19:50 pm »
......... But further, surely this begs the question can the Victorian sewers cope with modern day waste levels from 2 HUGE restaurants and 54 flats?  Not looking promising is it. Wonder how much more investment Waldron will have to find to bring the sewers up to a reliable modern standard?

I was walking in Rhos this morning and by chance saw the size of the sewage pipes being installed on a large 5 story development on the promenade. Similar pipes would have to be used to meet modern building code for any development on the pier pavilion site,. which then begs the question, how could they be connected to the main sewer on North Parade without causing major disruption to the Promenade, Pier, all adjacent Hotel businesses, the Gardens, Buses, Coaches and normal road traffic.
Someone had better put their thinking cap on PDQ.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #588 on: February 01, 2017, 04:35:29 pm »
Mr Waldron is developing a site (formally Long Les sign writer) at Glan Conwy the arrangement appears to be that in exchange for the site he gets a penthouse apartment .I believe that there is a boundary dispute ongoing already with a neighbour, (
he has foundations on land in dispute)his track record with the quay would suggest some interesting news to come

I had a walk on the Bird Reserve at Llandudno Junction today and part of the reserve passes close to this building site which is where John Les' former house was.   It has fantastic views from the site but the downside is the close proximity to the busy A470.
I hope that there are no hidden underground pipes on this site.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #589 on: February 02, 2017, 03:29:21 pm »
Nice views across the river but unfortunately you can't say the same for the southerly aspect, which is rather spoiled by the old sheads down the boundary fence of the garden centre.  &shake&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #590 on: February 02, 2017, 03:41:01 pm »
You are correct of course, the nice views are straight ahead and down to Conwy.  I've noticed also that the views are somewhat  affected by the Sun in the afternoon and the views are not as clear then.
Someone on here mentioned that John Les has been promised a penthouse by Waldron in exchange for the house and grounds.   It must be for a penthouse on the Glan Conwy property because the Pier Pavilion seems a non starter at the moment.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #591 on: February 03, 2017, 12:53:20 am »
You are correct of course, the nice views are straight ahead and down to Conwy.  I've noticed also that the views are somewhat  affected by the Sun in the afternoon and the views are not as clear then.
Someone on here mentioned that John Les has been promised a penthouse by Waldron in exchange for the house and grounds.   It must be for a penthouse on the Glan Conwy property because the Pier Pavilion seems a non starter at the moment.

You're joking aren't you Hugo?
The Pier Pavilion development will most certainly go ahead, in some form, and very early this year.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

« Reply #592 on: February 03, 2017, 01:13:30 am »

The Pier Pavilion development will most certainly go ahead, in some form, and very early this year.

We've been here many times before over the last 23 years Fester, so I wouldn't go holding  your breath if I were you.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #593 on: February 03, 2017, 08:30:31 am »

We've been here many times before over the last 23 years Fester, so I wouldn't go holding  your breath if I were you.

I've seen it all before too and although most people would want the site developed it can't be at any price.   There is a lot of pressure exerted on the CCBC by these developers whose only interest is to get a maximum profit but the planning process will take a while anyway and I wouldn't expect any progress this side of the Summer, if at all.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #594 on: February 12, 2017, 03:49:19 pm »
After chasing clues on Hugos quiz today, I found this and it made me think of all projects and eyesores that are up for development.......

Clough Williams-Ellis was a man with great vision. Portmeirion gave him much pleasure during his life and is today giving much pleasure to it’s many visitors. His motto was “Cherish the Past, Adorn the Present, Construct for the Future”,

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #595 on: March 04, 2017, 04:11:01 pm »
According to FLAG https://www.facebook.com/Llandudnopierpavilionsite/ Mr. Waldron has submitted his planning application for the site and all is due to be revealed on Monday. They also report that there is a special CCBC planning committee meeting to be held on 20th April 2017.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #596 on: March 04, 2017, 04:42:18 pm »
By coincidence, plans for the Lidl in Llandudno Junction are also being revealed on Monday.

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #597 on: March 06, 2017, 07:59:48 am »
I, for one, can't wait.

By coincidence, plans for the Lidl in Llandudno Junction are also being revealed on Monday.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #598 on: March 08, 2017, 08:50:28 am »
The revised design for the Pier Pavilion site, a planning application has now been submitted. For comparison purposes, I have attached a photo of the original design below the new one.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #599 on: March 08, 2017, 08:58:56 am »
Full story in the Daily Post:

Plans have now been submitted for a £15million restaurant and apartment complex on the Pier Pavilion site in Llandudno.

Developer Alan Waldron acquired the site - which has been empty for more than 20 years - for over £1million last year.

He says he has worked hard to design a building sympathetic to the seaside resort’s Victorian landscape and surroundings.

The proposals are for 54 high-quality apartments, two restaurants, underground car parking and an enhanced public realm featuring a walkway from the pier through to Happy Valley Road.

The developer went out to public consultation last year with the initial plan and after feedback has made adjustments to the design prior to submitting this application to Conwy council.

Mr Waldron, from Deganwy, said two international food chains are “seriously interested” in leasing the restaurants – which will generate more than 100 permanent jobs.

He is committed to using local builders and suppliers - creating hundreds of job opportunities over the two year build.

The site, adjacent to Llandudno Pier, has lain empty since a devastating fire destroyed the old pavilion building in 1994.

Mr Waldron said he is determined to restore it to its former glory and give Llandudno a new, modern and quality building it can be proud of.

“Together with Creu Architecture, from Denbigh, I’ve worked closely with the council, CADW, Mostyn Estates and the Design Commission to draw-up proposals that will do just that,” he said.

“We’ve consulted local residents, businesses, and the owners of the pier and the Grand Hotel throughout, so there has been complete transparency and a willingness to review the design in response to feedback.”

He said it fitted with Conwy’s Economic Growth Strategy that included developing a more vibrant night-time economy in Llandudno.

“We fully support the strategy, and the strategy supports the need for restaurants and bars in the town,” said Mr Waldron, who also developed Deganwy Quay marina and hotel.

“These will be top-quality restaurants, and I’ve been in discussions for some time with two very well-known chains that are seriously interested in taking the space.

“The apartments will be of the highest standard – the build cost for this is going to be around £15million – and they won’t be for short-term lets, they’re for people who are as committed as we are to producing a development Llandudno can be proud of.”

The developer said as Llandudno is famous for its Great Orme copper mine, the designs incorporate the metal throughout, while the architecture flows from the Grand Hotel along the promenade and hotel facades.

Mr Waldron added: “The plans are now with the council, and should they be approved I expect construction to begin in the autumn.

“It is 10 years since I first looked at the site and recognised the need for a quality project but the path towards re-development has been far from easy and has only been sustained because of local commitment.

“We’ve tackled any issues head-on and I would like to thank all of the people who helped us to this point.

“I truly believe this is a development that will enhance the location, the economy and support tourism, as well as creating jobs in one of the most beautiful towns in the country.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/exclusive-llandudnos-new-pier-pavilion-12706894